Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:40   #1
bac1023

Austrian steel! - Wolf SV Ultramatic 9mm :):)

I just picked up the Wolf SV pistol that I talked about a few months ago in this thread:

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1415042

When I first spotted it in a shop in the Poconos in April, I had never seen one before. I've been thinking about it on and off all summer. Over the last couple of months, I gathered what little data there is online about them and have been quite intrigued. Well, I had a couple days off this week and decided to call the shop and see if it was still for sale. It turns out that they had taken it out of the case to make room for other handguns and it was still available. After hearing that, I decided to take a trip north and pick it up. I'm glad I decided to grab it. This gun is cool as hell. As I said in that thread, the price was $699. However, I was able to haggle them down $50, so I got it for $695 OTD after taxes and fees.

As the thread title states, these pistols were built in Austria for only a couple years in the mid to late 1990's. The design is very unique, as you can see. The barrel and slide are both fixed with only an internal bolt moving. The pistol is extremely high quality. You can tell that by just picking it up and cocking the hammer. It feels like a very precision built, heavy duty piece of machinery. Reliability is supposed to be a bit suspect, due to the very tight tolerances of the pistol coupled with a rather complicated design. I'm not overly concerned, as its just a novelty piece for my collection and occasional range time. Speaking of range time, the trigger is outstanding. Its not overly light, but has a very solid and precise feel. Its finished very well also. It appears to be a satin nickel of some sort from the looks of it. As you can imagine from my description, this pistol is incredibly hefty. I sat it on my digital scale and it weighed in at 46.8oz unloaded. To put that in proper perspective, its about 8oz (a half pound) heavier than a full size government 1911. That should tell you just how solid the construction is. Although a bit smaller in overall size, this Wolf is a half ounce heavier than my all steel Sig X-Five L1 with the magwell and everything. The Sig weighs in at 46.2oz. In fact, the only auto pistol I own that's heavier than the Wolf is my Desert Eagle 50AE at 69.8oz. Of course, that shoots a round with about three times the muzzle energy. Shooting 9mm in this pistol will be like shooting 38 Special out of a Smith N frame revolver.

The company went out of business due to the very high cost of the gun. The retail price was $2000 and up in the 1990's and they simply couldn't sell enough to make a profit. After production stopped and the business went under, CDNN blew out the remaining stock at very cheap prices. However, they are now extremely difficult to find.

The gun itself is in excellent condition. Other than a couple marks on the right grip, there isn't a significant scratch to be found. It came complete with the original case and manual. Capacity is 18 rounds, but, unfortunately, it only came with one Clinton-era 10 round mag. They are proprietary mags built by Mec-Gar, so the chances of finding a couple 18 rounders is probably slim to none.

Here is a video I found on You Tube. Its very short, but you can see the gun in action.

Here is a review by the same person. Since his gun is blued, you can see the markings a bit better. However, the markings on his gun are slightly different than mine.

That is enough for now. As you can tell, I really excited about this pistol. I plan to get to the range this weekend if at all possible.

Please enjoy and pics and share your thoughts. BTW, its hard as hell to photo nickel firearms, but I did the best I could.

Thanks!

General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by bac1023; 01-03-2013 at 16:23..
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:41   #2
bac1023

Here are a couple pics of the slide so you can clearly see the markings.

General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:43   #3
RustyShackelford
> OD Glock 32 <

Well it sure looks pretty neat. I guess I have to read up on it's functions vs other similar pistols. I am interested in your range reviews/pics.
TOP GUN 357SIG, Florida Glocker Clubs member #420

, straight stock (so far)
----------------------------
Ray Zalinsky: "What the American public doesn't know is what makes them the American public."
RustyShackelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 13:00   #4
SigFTW

From what you wrote about the Wolf, it seems like a very high quality pistol for a great price. It's collectible worthy for sure!

Congrats on a great find
Old 07-25-2012, 14:46   #5
bac1023

Thanks guys

Old 07-25-2012, 16:36   #6
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyShackelford View Post
I guess I have to read up on it's functions vs other similar pistols. I am interested in your range reviews/pics.
I'm also looking forward to comparing it with some of my other high end/target 9mms.

Old 07-25-2012, 17:55   #7
WiskyT
Malcontent

I wish you bought one and posted pics of it back when CDNN was giving them away. I'd have gotten one.

I would contact Mec-Gar. They are a great company to deal with and you never know what they may have lying in a back room somewhere.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 18:51   #8
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiskyT View Post
I wish you bought one and posted pics of it back when CDNN was giving them away. I'd have gotten one.

I would contact Mec-Gar. They are a great company to deal with and you never know what they may have lying in a back room somewhere.
Thanks.

Yeah, once the company went belly up, they had a fire sale on them for a while. It didn't last too long, because there wasn't many built.

This is the only one I've ever seen. The thread I started back in April is proof of that. I didn't even know what the hell I was looking at.

Old 07-25-2012, 19:15   #9
Raven1967

That is one nice looking pistol,I never saw one of those before.I bet its a smooth shooter.
Raven1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 19:52   #10
ronin.45

I'm thinking the same thing as WiskyT, call Mec-Gar. They may have a few sitting in a box somewhere that they couldn't sell.

As I said in the original thread, it is a nice addition to your 9mm collection.
Old 07-25-2012, 20:41   #11
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1967 View Post
That is one nice looking pistol,I never saw one of those before.I bet its a smooth shooter.
Thanks

I'm looking forward to finding out.

Old 07-25-2012, 20:44   #12
stolenphot0
RTF2 Addict

pretty neat looking pistol. Hope its everything you expected.
stolenphot0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 20:57   #13
bmoore

Congrats Bac on a very unique pistola. Looks very very very tight. First glance gives me 3rd gen Smith auto mixed with some CZ.

Last edited by bmoore; 07-25-2012 at 20:58..
bmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 21:06   #14
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoore View Post
Congrats Bac on a very unique pistola. Looks very very very tight. First glance gives me 3rd gen Smith auto mixed with some CZ.
Thanks

It is extremely tight. I can't wait to get to the range.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:38   #15
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Damn, that's one ugly mofo.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:52   #16
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post

I never said it was a beauty, but it has cool factor.

Its certainly a well built handgun.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:00   #17
SigFTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
I think its a very good looking pistol.
The more I look at it the more I like it. I guess I have strange taste.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:04   #18
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigFTW View Post
I think its a very good looking pistol.
The more I look at it the more I like it. I guess I have strange taste.
I like it just because its so exotic looking.

Old 07-26-2012, 15:36   #19
glockrex

Congrats! Fascinating, I've never heard of that gun before or seen that type of action on a pistol that is not a .22. Let us know how it shoots!
glockrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 18:50   #20
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockrex View Post
Congrats! Fascinating, I've never heard of that gun before or seen that type of action on a pistol that is not a .22. Let us know how it shoots!
I hadn't ever heard of it either...