GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-08-2012, 19:12   #1
sappy13

Build from the ground up using Remsport?

I was wondering if anyone has experience doing a 1911 build from the ground up, particularly using a Remsport Frame/slide combo. From what I understand, a lot of custom builders purchase their base frames/slides from them. I also read on their facebook page that they will sell extra frames and slides, sometimes with the frame/slide/barrel/bushing already fitted, to the general public. Earlier this month Remsport posted the combo above for 775. They said that it basically just needed all the small parts purchased and then fitted to have a high end, functioning 1911. Assuming someone was willing to put in the time to slowly learn what they are doing, would it be a worthwhile project to invest in?

I dont have the cash for a full custom build from a builder, but I could afford the base combo from them and still have the cash for the small parts(plus money for parts i mess up while learning). I love 1911's and would love to take part in a partial custom build, but I dont want to get it way over my head. I feel like the general consensus will be to just buy one for the money i could put into the build, but I figure its worth asking.
sappy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 19:53   #2
Glock_en_speil

sappy13,

Unless you are a machinist by trade I would caution against what you are trying to do. You could easily ruin the receiver, slide or barrel even if they are supposedly pre-fit. What about staking on the plunger tube? Dovetailing the sights? Stoning the sear? These operations take lots of experience and specialized tools.

Instead I would suggest your money is better spent taking a class from an experienced pistolsmith. For instance Jim Garthwaite offers a course and the tuition includes the cost of the frame, slide and all the parts you need to build a custom 1911 under his instruction. It's not cheap but for about the price of a Wilson Combat or Ed Brown 1911 you'll not only have a custom pistol but the knowledge on how one goes together as well. I caution you that one course even if it's by a well respected professional like Jim Garthwaite isn't going to turn you into a pistolsmith overnight. This is a craft that takes years of training and practice but it will expose you to the basics and you'll be taking a custom 1911 home with you.

Here's a link for you in case you are interested:

http://www.garthwaite.com/services/classes.php

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with Jim Garthwaite or his products or services.
I love the smell of Hoppe's #9 in the morning.

Last edited by Glock_en_speil; 08-09-2012 at 15:26..
Glock_en_speil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 20:58   #3
sappy13

Thank you for your feedback. Like i said, i figured I would get a quick response saying dont do it. I guess if it was easy or worth it(time invested and money), everyone would do it.
sappy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 21:38   #4
Glock_en_speil

sappy13,

You state the truth there sir. If it were that easy A LOT more folks would do it. Several of the high end 1911 builders are looking for experienced pistolsmiths right now as they struggle to keep up with demand. For instance, Wilson Combat is experiencing wait times of about 10 months right now.

What you might want to do is invest $50 or so in some good books on 1911 gunsmithing. That will at least give you some insight to how a 1911 works without actually having to spend the time and money on the parts and tools to build one. If you get done with the book and are still interested the next step I'd suggest is buying a good quality production 1911 like a Springfield Armory for instance and then investing another $100 at Brownell's or Midway USA buying a few 1911 specialty tools that help with disassembly. For instance, you should buy a quality set of punches, a gunsmith's hammer and perhaps a bench block. When you get the tools put them to good use by detail stripping the gun right down to the bare frame and slide. Learn every part intimately and understand how each part interacts with the other parts. If you already know how to do all this then forgive me for suggesting it but these are all good steps to really learning how the 1911 functions.
I love the smell of Hoppe's #9 in the morning.
Glock_en_speil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:28   #5
knedrgr

I have built my first 1911 from a Remsport frame/slide/barrel kit. Not my first 1911, just first one that I had built.

Everything was hand fitted and shaped.

Here's the thread.
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1332963

Here are updated images of the gun.
1911 Forums
1911 Forums

free standing @25 yards.
1911 Forums
1911 Forums
knedrgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:44   #6
ca survivor

Wilson has a ten month wait, because the old smith he has take a cigarette break every 15 minutes.
ca survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:15   #7
MajorD

for 775 bucks you could easily find a good decent built 1911 -not worth the hassle of trying to build yourself. in the end without a quality smith's name attached to it you'd have a parts gun not worth the parts you put in it. For 100 bucks more in my area you could get a brand new Colt, or a good used one with plenty of cash left over for mags and ammo. you will be much farther ahead doing this IMO
MajorD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:17   #8
knedrgr

I think the major thing that people don't get about this is the PRIDE of knowing that YOU had built YOUR gun.

Given that it was my first built 1911, I can say this with certain; I won't sell that 1911, and it'll be handled down to my children.
knedrgr is offline   Reply With Quote