Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:18   #1
Bro. Stan

Amazing new dry fire device

My name is Stan Seigler. I live in Idaho County, Idaho, and I have something that I think you will be interested in.

A few years ago, I attended a handgun training course. Dry fire practice was emphasized. As I practiced, I did not like having to ratchet the slide for each time I wanted to "fire" the weapon. So, through much trial and error, I have designed a device that allows multiple "shots" without having to remove the hands from the firing position. I call it the Dryfiremag. There is also no need to alter the weapon in any way because the device is incorporated into a regular magazine so that it can just be inserted into the weapon like a normal magazine. As simple as that, dry fire practice can begin. It does not use the weapon's firing pin, it gives an audible "click" to simulate the firing pin release, and it resets the trigger to the intermediate refiring position or to its resting position.

When at the range, before actually beginning live fire practice, a few minutes can be spent in dry fire practice. Then, when ready, the Dryfiremag can be removed from the weapon, the magazine with live ammo can be inserted, and live fire can begin. If, at any time during the practice session, the report or the recoil of the weapon causes the shooter to pull off target, the weapon can be cleared of live ammo with the live ammo magazine, and the Dryfiremag can be inserted. Dry fire practice can proceed until the shooter is comfortable enough not to pull off the target. When that is achieved, live fire practice can resume with simply swapping the Dryfiremag for a magazine with live ammo.

I would ask you to go to my web site, www.dryfiremag.com , and take a look. The video is very helpful to get the full understanding of the device. Right now the Dryfiremag is only available for Glock pistols with the double or stagger stack magazines. If you desire it for another type of weapon, let me know, and I will put it on the drawing board.

Thank you for your time, and please give me some feedback.
Bro. Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 22:48   #2
1337Rob

looks nice, but a little pricey. i know you probably spent a good deal of money developing the mag, but i think you would sell a decent amount of them if you priced it at around 75 bucks. 100 at 75 bucks is better than 25 at 130
1337Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 21:02   #3
USSOCOM

Way too pricey for me. Good idea though.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:02   #4
jbglock

I'm very interested in it. Seems like such a good idea it makes you wonder why no one else has made this. For the price though I'm waiting to see some user reviews.
jbglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:49   #5
bikerdog

Very interesting indeed. I think ill wait for some reviews but I think this could be a very good training aid.

One question. You said in the video that the firing pin does not engage. This concerns me slightly about the constancy between the trigger pull with your mag and live fire. How closely do they compare. If it was addresses on your web site I missed it.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Old 09-02-2012, 06:04   #6
KennyFSU
What to wear...

Very interesting concept. Does it change the weight of the trigger pull at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KennyFSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:06   #7
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by USSOCOM View Post
Way too pricey for me. Good idea though.
Serious shooters pay way more than that for a holster. If he markets t to competition shooters, who often spend more time dry firing than the average gun owner would spend with guns, he'll make some money. To average shooters like these, who haven't done much serious training or competing, probably not.

If I was the maker, I'd be aiming 90% of my advertising at the comeptition market and I'd be showing up at major IDPA and GSSF matches with samples for people to try.
Bren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:28   #8
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Holy smokes!

ONE HUNDRED AND THIRTY BUCKS!

What guarantee is there that there will be no change in the way the trigger feels when it is NOT drawing back the striker and actually disengaging the lug? 'Snap', 'snap', 'snap' is not the same thing as working with the trigger's actual resistance and the incumbent delay to releasing the striker's lug from the sear plate. Dry firing is already a mechanical abstraction of actually firing the gun. On the premise that, 'You shoot like you train.' I'm not sure I'd be doing anything genuinely useful by making everything even more abstract?

I dry fire all of the time; but, before I'd be willing to shell out that kind of money I'd need to actually use one of these devices for awhile in order to see if it'll really do me any good? For the same price I could get more than half a case of Wal-Mart's finest practice ammo. (You know, 'Champion' - The good stuff!)
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:32   #9
jbglock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
Serious shooters pay way more than that for a holster. If he markets t to competition shooters, who often spend more time dry firing than the average gun owner would spend with guns, he'll make some money. To average shooters like these, who haven't done much serious training or competing, probably not.

If I was the maker, I'd be aiming 90% of my advertising at the comeptition market and I'd be showing up at major IDPA and GSSF matches with samples for people to try.
I agree and disagree. Agree in that for most competition shooters $130 is nothing. Disagree that most of the sales would come from them. Those that dry fire already have multiple solutions including higher end airsoft guns (ones that cost more than both of my Glocks combined), dedicated simulated guns (if you prefer Glocks) with integrated lasers, ect. I'm sure it could be a significant number of sales but then I would target these shooters via endorsements from known names in the sport. For the typical shooter that frequents a site like this I feel detailed reviews would sell more especially with the question at to how different the trigger pull is. I'd assume that in a caliber family you could buy one to use with all (say in you 9mm get a 17mag that also works in your 19 and 26) but I'd still wonder if one in 9 would work with the 40cal gun.
jbglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 18:03   #10
Kingarthurhk
Isaiah 53:4-9

I have to hand it to him, he built a better mouse trap. I am sure start up costs of a new business, the prototype, and then getting a company to manufacture it to specs is not cheap. I laud him for his ingenuity. But, it has to be hard to in a niches market at a high price point. I wish him the best, and hope it works out for him.

To the OP, have you considered hitting up Brownells, Midway, Lone Wolf, etc. to do some quantity purchaces to get some capital and some brand recognition? I am not trying to meddle in your affairs, I would just hate for a great idea like yours to fizzle out. Thanks for doing this, it is something that needed doing it, and you were savy enough to understand that and make it happen. Very few people can say that. Kudos, sir.

Last edited by Kingarthurhk; 09-02-2012 at 18:08..
Kingarthurhk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dry fire, dry fire practice, practice, practice ammunition