Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-11-2012, 04:49   #1
DannyR

Beckley, WV 2012 Debriefing & Photo Thread

Please post your stories & photos here. I should be at the match by 2pm today.
Bull Dawg #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
DannyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:54   #2
youngann
Pistol People

Hope to see you there, Danny.
youngann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 16:42   #3
keryou1960

Do they have a practice plate rack set up?
keryou1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 17:35   #4
bustedknee
Curmudgeon

Missed you Danny. However I set the bar pretty low. No stress.

Great weather, road in good shape, I got a new Tee shirt (I Survived the road to the Beckley Gun Club).

I saw the Glock that spent the winter in the river. Looked like hell but shot like a Glock. 'cept these little fish kept hitting the shooter in the head.

Old 08-11-2012, 18:11   #5
mike g35

Another great match at Beckley Gun Club here in my home state of West (by god) Virginia!!! Beautiful weather, great folks to talk to, and the GSSF staff working hard as usual. There was a wait on the 5 and the M that some were complaining about but we all finished today to the best of my knowledge so obviously it wasn't that bad. Got to see coach (Danny), Mr. And Mrs. lethal, Rodney (Dr. Rod), Randy (glockinRandall), Pat ( cavscout) and quite a few other GTers. Shot ok but not like I thought I did. Don't know why but I'm stuck in the 130's and 100's. Except in comp which will be worse but it was my first day shooting with the new Advantage Arms sights on my 34. All in all it was a great match. Beautiful weather by the way. I have plenty of pics and video to share once I get home and get them downloaded. Thanks for another great one GSSF!!!
Old 08-11-2012, 18:52   #6
BamaTrooper
Almost Done

Send a message via Yahoo to BamaTrooper
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike g35 View Post
.... Don't know why but I'm stuck in the 130's and 100's. ...
Mike, what we want to know is 1- were the set ups the same as last year and 2- did you do better than last year?
Old 08-11-2012, 18:58   #7
mike g35

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaTrooper View Post
Mike, what we want to know is 1- were the set ups the same as last year and 2- did you do better than last year?
Yes to 1, yes & no to two . From my rough calculations I didn't beat last years UL score but I did beat AmCiv. Not sure why but I was hitting a lot of high D's today with my Ul gun at 20 yards and out. Killed my chances at beating last year doing that. I had a blast though.
Old 08-11-2012, 19:26   #8
mike g35

Quote:
Originally Posted by keryou1960 View Post
Not that I saw. I think they had some set up down the road last year but not sure about this year.

Last edited by mike g35; 08-11-2012 at 19:27..
mike g35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 19:28   #9
Glockrunner
HOOYA DEEPSEA

Send a message via Yahoo to Glockrunner
Quote:
Originally Posted by keryou1960 View Post
No practice plates but the club did purchase two new racks. One had trouble with a plate falling after being hit. Hummmm wouldn't some oil fix that?

We had a good run at everything today and got to visit too.

Saw Danny as he was entering the property in his car but all we could do is wave.

Took in the Coal Mine Exhibit and found that very interesting and headed home.

Pretty much an all new RO crowd but they handled to match alright.

Hint if you are in a car with automatic tranny just place it in low gear before going up the gravel covered hill and you won't slinge all the new gravel down the hill.....

Last edited by Glockrunner; 08-12-2012 at 11:56..
Glockrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 20:49   #10
DannyR

The Coalfields Classic II is destined to be a fantastic success. First of all, I arrived at 2:15pm and finished just before 6pm. That's less than 4 hours and I always allow four hours minimum for a match. Saw a lot of old friends, met a few new friends, shot lousy but had a good time. Always have fun. Life is too short to be miserable.

The front sight on my Gen2 G19 came loose while shooting the 5TG, but I kept shooting. At one point it was sideways, and fell off after my last shot. Surprisingly, no misses.

Although there were some long waits, I observed no variations from established GSSF Procedure.

Bob and his RO's did a fantastic job handling about 300 entries, matching their entire attendance from last year. Food was great. GSSF staff performed at their usual excellence. Thanks Chris, Cindy & Uncle Festus.

I was probably the last person through registration today, and nearly the last person to shoot each stage. Still, I enjoyed the afternoon. I even have a T-shirt like the one described by Busted Knee.

Perfect weather. I offer no excuses for my poor performance.

Thanks Beckley Gun Club and every RO that worked today!

Final note: What Beckley Gun Club needs most is a good shortcut to the range.
Bull Dawg #1

DannyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 20:50   #11
mike g35

Here's a video of "Dr. Rod" (Rodney Leeber) shooting my Carver Custom G22 SuperNOVA racegun. Rodney was on fire today, my gun always turns heads. Myself, all the other shooters on the plates, and even the staff wanted to see what Rodney could do with a compensated racegun. Check this video out, it was his first time shooting a full on open gun AND it was a 40 cal. as opposed to the more typical GSSG 9mm UL gun (which I typically have with me). I hope he enjoyed shooting it as much as I enjoyed watching it!!!
Old 08-11-2012, 21:02   #12
SARDG

Quote:
Here's a video of "Dr. Rod" (Rodney Leeber) shooting my Carver Custom G22 SuperNOVA racegun. Rodney was on fire today...
Should I say it??
SARDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 21:09   #13
PM720

Um, no disrespect intended but, um, does anyone have any comments on that "low" ready position? If that's legal I REALLY need to change my start position.

Scott
PM720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 21:12   #14
SARDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM720 View Post
Um, no disrespect intended but, um, does anyone have any comments on that "low" ready position? If that's legal I REALLY need to change my start position.

Scott
Oh goodie... I didn't have to say it!
Old 08-11-2012, 21:21   #15
mike g35

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM720 View Post

Scott
To be fair this was just shooting for fun, not a real stage or a real run. We just wanted to watch him destroy the plates with my racegun....and he didn't disappoint.
Also, I was actually intructed to not "point at the barrel" today but to point at the grass. So my low ready was similar to his. Not sure why, I don't make the rules. I just do what I'm told by the RO at the line. One RO today even mentioned to me today how impressed he was how I didn't move to do anything, reload, unbag my gun, take a sight picture, etc etc etc until they told me. I told him it changes every match so I'm not doing anything until told, getting DQ'd out of a $100 match isn't on my list of things to do today. LOL

Last edited by mike g35; 08-11-2012 at 21:24..
Old 08-11-2012, 21:25   #16
SARDG

Quote:
To be fair this was just shooting for fun, not a real stage or a real run. We just wanted to watch him destroy the plates with my racegun....and he didn't disappoint.
Ummm... I'll be watching him on real stages and runs then.
Old 08-11-2012, 21:30   #17
mike g35

Here are some pics from todays match. The blue skys over the registration tent, DannyR signing in at the 5 to Glock, Mr. Lethal Tupperware at the Glock M signing in, a few pics of the staff and stages and a good one of the infamous "I survived the road to the Beckley Gun Club" t-shirt!!!! Hope you all enjoy them.

Last edited by mike g35; 05-19-2013 at 18:52..
Old 08-11-2012, 21:31   #18
mike g35

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARDG View Post
Ummm... I'll be watching him on real stages and runs then.
He was shooting faster with his stock guns. Sub 3 second runs. Just sayin'.
Old 08-11-2012, 21:40   #19
SARDG

Quote:
...Also, I was actually intructed to not "point at the barrel" today but to point at the grass. So my low ready was similar to his. Not sure why, I don't make the rules. I just do what I'm told by the RO at the line. One RO today even mentioned to me today how impressed he was how I didn't move to do anything, reload, unbag my gun, take a sight picture, etc etc etc until they told me. I told him it changes every match so I'm not doing anything until told, getting DQ'd out of a $100 match isn't on my list of things to do today. LOL
There were 2 1/2 acres of grass between the barrel and where he was pointed.

You follow GSSF rules at the line and you will never be DQed. One of the very distinct problems is the lack of consistency between matches so shooters are never quite sure what to expect.

I will give you that local range anomolies or restrictions can allow for 'special' circumstances warranting a local venue rule adjustment - but not that ready position where there is clearly more room to lower that gun. NOW, if every RO is telling every shooter at every stage for every string that they SHOULD (must) start that way... that would keep things fair. Was that happening Mike?
Old 08-11-2012, 21:44   #20
SARDG

Quote:
He was shooting faster with his stock guns. Sub 3 second runs. Just sayin'.
Don't care how fast he was shooting what gun - we're talking about a correct ready position which in fact affects his time.