SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-11-2012, 07:22   #1
okie
GT Mayor

I certainly don't need this!

Well looks as though my Belkin battery back up has gone Kaput on me, I got up this morning and my computer wouldn't boot up, I did some power cord switching and it came on, so I guess I know what I have to do today BTW what's a good battery back up these days, that won't break my bank, do you have to spend more than a C note, or do I even need battery backup

Last edited by okie; 08-11-2012 at 07:43..
okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:24   #2
Buki192327

Sorry about your problem, okie.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Club #46
Buki192327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:34   #3
Dalton Wayne
CLM Number 239
Epic mustache

Send a message via MSN to Dalton Wayne Send a message via Skype™ to Dalton Wayne
I have a battery B/U it's nice for when the power blinks ( it does that a lot here in Florida) you don't lose what you are working on other then that I see no need for one...
Dalton Wayne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:36   #4
costanza187
I like Macs

Sorry to hear that, problems like that are expensive and a pain!

I used to have a battery backup myself. It was really cool, I had my modem/router/satellite dish receiver/tv plugged into it. I was so proud of myself. It worked fine for a few years, but when the UPS went bad WOW. It would still function as a power strip but it had some kind of "warning" alarm that would scream the whole time. It would get on your nerves at the other end of the house it was so loud

I unhooked that thing and threw it out, just for the peace and quiet.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:41   #5
jtmac
Señor Member

Send a message via AIM to jtmac Send a message via Yahoo to jtmac

Batteries are a "wear part". They don't last forever.

The need for a battery backup is to make sure that you can shut down properly when the power goes out, so you don't lose data. If you don't typically work on documents that you'd cry over if you didn't hit "save" before something happening, you'll probably be fine going without. Modern filesystems handle unexpected shutdowns pretty well, so the odds of losing data just because your computer lost power are pretty slim.

Check eBay for replacement batteries, though. You might be able to find one pretty cheap.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:45   #6
robin303
Helicopter Nut

I never needed one. If you had blackouts all the time and wanted to play on the PC during a blackout I would maybe get one but if it is a blackout I might not have the web anyway. I can't see myself on my CAD program with a flashlight.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:51   #7
md2lgyk

Both of our home PCs are laptops. No UPS necessary.
Old 08-11-2012, 13:03   #8
Tackle

APC battery backups are what I recommend to my customers. Cost around $70 from Best Buy. You may only need new batteries in yours, if you have a batteries plus (store) around you could swing in and see if they can test them.

Battery backups can not only provide a few minutes of power for your PC should you lose power, but it also protects against brownouts and surges which can fry parts of your PC that will cost more to replace than the battery backup costs.

It's better to have one than to not have one.

Last edited by Tackle; 08-11-2012 at 13:04..
Tackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 13:06   #9
Tackle

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin303 View Post
I never needed one. If you had blackouts all the time and wanted to play on the PC during a blackout I would maybe get one but if it is a blackout I might not have the web anyway. I can't see myself on my CAD program with a flashlight.
The battery backups for home use typically do not run for very long on battery, 20-30 minutes at max. Depending on the age of the battery, it could only be a few minutes. There is probably an equation to figure out how long a certain backup can supply power by figuring out total draw of powered on components.

Last edited by Tackle; 08-11-2012 at 13:07..
Tackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 13:07   #10
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

My best use of a UPC battery backup was to power the TV when the power went out. It faced the front window so I could just gall the neighbors watching it for 1/2 hour while they were all dark.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 13:32   #11
okie
GT Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackle View Post
APC battery backups are what I recommend to my customers. Cost around $70 from Best Buy. You may only need new batteries in yours, if you have a batteries plus (store) around you could swing in and see if they can test them.

Battery backups can not only provide a few minutes of power for your PC should you lose power, but it also protects against brownouts and surges which can fry parts of your PC that will cost more to replace than the battery backup costs.

It's better to have one than to not have one.
We don't have a battery plus store here, Best Buy has an APC 350 on sale for 50 bucks. We do get power surges here sometimes
Old 08-11-2012, 13:45   #12
jpa
CLM Number 268
Charter Lifetime Member

Send a message via AIM to jpa Send a message via Yahoo to jpa
Quote:
Originally Posted by janice6 View Post
My best use of a UPC battery backup was to power the TV when the power went out. It faced the front window so I could just gall the neighbors watching it for 1/2 hour while they were all dark.
ROTFL...I love it.

Not a bad idea. Maybe I'll get a UPS and plug my dsl modem and router into it and sit on the front lawn on my laptop.
Big Dawg #1408, TT #1408
Moto Club #1408, GSSF Member, NRA RSO
NRA Benefactor Member
jpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 14:39   #13
Hauptmann6

Send a message via AIM to Hauptmann6 Send a message via MSN to Hauptmann6 Send a message via Yahoo to Hauptmann6
You should be able to replace the battery. Find out how to take it out, and take it to a batteries plus. They will get you a new one for about a third of what a new setup will be.
The only things that last forever
Are memories and sorrow
Hauptmann6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 15:04   #14
srhoades

Cyberpower makes very good and very affordable battery backups. I now buy them instead of the now overpriced APC's.

Last edited by srhoades; 08-11-2012 at 15:06..
srhoades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 16:15   #15
okie
GT Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hauptmann6 View Post
You should be able to replace the battery. Find out how to take it out, and take it to a batteries plus. They will get you a new one for about a third of what a new setup will be.
They are 10 bucks cheaper than a new UPS my friend, then the gas to run to Tulsa.
Old 08-11-2012, 16:28   #16
Hauptmann6

Send a message via AIM to Hauptmann6 Send a message via MSN to Hauptmann6 Send a message via Yahoo to Hauptmann6
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie View Post
They are 10 bucks cheaper than a new UPS my friend, then the gas to run to Tulsa.
Wow, around here a new battery is around 35 and a new ups is around 100 for a decent one.
The only things that last forever
Are memories and sorrow
Hauptmann6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 17:51   #17
tous
GET A ROPE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by srhoades View Post
Cyberpower makes very good and very affordable battery backups. I now buy them instead of the now overpriced APC's.

Amazon.com: CyberPower CP825LCD Intelligent LCD 825VA 450W Desktop UPS: Electronics
I second Cyberpower products.
I use them everywhere from under the desktops to my server/appliance racks and I am a satisfied customer ... with money in my pocket.

APC is an exemplary product, but expensive.

2.9979E10 cm/sec -- it's not just a good idea; it's the law

Last edited by tous; 08-11-2012 at 17:51..
tous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 17:57   #18
Brian Lee
Drop those nuts

Before you replace the entire unit, take it apart and see if the batteries can be replaced, since most can be, and probably with an easily available battery. I have two UPS units, and in the instructions that came with them, they never mentioned that the batteries go bad every two years or so, and the units stop working. For dirt cheap, you can get new sealed Lead Acid (gel) batteries, plug them in, and the units start working perfectly again every time. These are high powered back-ups that cost about 200 bucks each over 14 years ago, and I've replaced the 12V batteries several times. They're still going strong. (No soldering - just slip on connectors.)

Yours probably just has bad batteries that won't hold a charge anymore, and everything else still works. If you were going to throw it away anyway, might as well rip it open and see what's in there... It probably fixes easier than you'd expect.
Brian Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 18:00   #19
BAILIFF
Piece Officer

http://www.walmart.com/ip/CyberPower...p-UPS/10250452

BAILIFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 00:37   #20
jpa
CLM Number 268
Charter Lifetime Member

Send a message via AIM to jpa Send a message via Yahoo to jpa
What does everyone think of the TrippLite brand UPS? I've been thinking of getting one to plug my DSL modem, router and NAS into. Best Buy has one on sale for like $45, I was thinking that would be plenty just to keep things running until I can shut everything off properly.
Big Dawg #1408, TT #1408
Moto Club #1408, GSSF Member, NRA RSO
NRA Benefactor Member
jpa is offline   Reply With Quote