Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-12-2012, 21:42   #1
NickC50310

Send a message via AIM to NickC50310
Going to start prepping. Need some help...

Hi guys! I have decided I better start some prepping. I am going to start storing bottled water and get a water barrel. Most of the stuff will be kept in my basement which is usually cool and dry. I want to have AT LEAST between a 1 month and 3 month supply of essential items.

Basically, my biggest question is prep food. I am leaning towards the 3 month two person kit by Aguason Farms from sams. It looks like this stuff needs water to prepare it? My original thinking was that I wouldnt want stuff that required water for prep as I would probably want to drink my water instead... The kit also has a TON of hard white wheat. WTF am I going to do with a bunch of wheat? Got any tips on this stuff?

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/augason...ction=#reviews

As for ammo, the more the better!

Thanks for any help or tips!
NickC50310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 21:52   #2
ChuteTheMall
HildabeastHater

Eat what you store, and store what you eat.
Practice and test everything before the emergency.

The best way to rotate your drinking water and food is to drink it and eat it as you continuously replenish it.

That's the difference between surviving, and owning a box of survival stuff.

ChuteTheMall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 22:59   #3
ArmoryDoc

Don't worry about storing hundreds of gallons of water if there is a source near you. Get a purifier instead. $200.00 will get you a nice one.
ArmoryDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 23:33   #4
NickC50310

I looked at the MSR pump/chem kit for $100. There is a river within a couple hundred yards of me but it is pretty dirty. Is one of those pump and chem kits going to make that drinkable?

As for the food, I am going to stock canned stews and veggies from sams. Those kits are dumb to think Im going to start baking bread when SHTF. LOL! I dont even know how to bake bread! The canned goods would be good for at least a couple years yes? I doubt I will eat them unless I need to. To rotate them out I will probably just give them to the food bank every couple of years.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:18   #5
Tom Kanik

Canned goods should last you a couple of years, so keep the bottled water for drinking. Fill some containers with water for flushing the toilet as well, and keep extra toilet paper and personal hygiene items.
I see that you are in DesMoines, Iowa; have a back-up heating source such as a Pro-Com ventless heater or Big Buddy ventless heater and some bottles of propane. I know that winters can be pretty tough up there! A multi-source power radio and lights are good to have in the event of power failure. I keep some 12 volt batteries, power inverters, and l.e.d. lights for that purpose.

Keep us apprised of your progress!
Old 08-13-2012, 05:20   #6
Smoker

There is a couple of previous threads here, try the search..
Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:38   #7
quake

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
Eat what you store, and store what you eat.
Practice and test everything before the emergency.
This approach is best imo, at least when beginning. Simply stock more of what you already use. If you have a favorite brand of green beans, etc, stick with them if practical.

Some questions - do you mind sharing some specifics? Budget allotted, situational specifics like urban, rural, apartment, etc, potential weather issues (I don't know much about Des Moines), how many people you're trying to prepare for (the quantity of people can quickly change the type of approach taken), special needs or idiosyncracies of those people (single, married, infants, handicapped, etc).

Not to get into your business, and it's uncomfortable to list more personal info; completely understand. Short of more info, I'd have to agree with chute the mall - start with more of your normal, familiar stuff first. That's an easy way to build to several months' supply with no 'adjustment' issues.

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
quake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:42   #8
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickC50310 View Post
I looked at the MSR pump/chem kit for $100. There is a river within a couple hundred yards of me but it is pretty dirty. Is one of those pump and chem kits going to make that drinkable?

As for the food, I am going to stock canned stews and veggies from sams. Those kits are dumb to think Im going to start baking bread when SHTF. LOL! I dont even know how to bake bread! The canned goods would be good for at least a couple years yes? I doubt I will eat them unless I need to. To rotate them out I will probably just give them to the food bank every couple of years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker View Post
There is a couple of previous threads here, try the search..
Yep,the info is on GT.Read the sub-forum.I've not seen a topic unanswered.'08.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:21   #9
ArmoryDoc

I have the Katadyn Combi. Not sure about the one you list.
ArmoryDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:59   #10
cowboy1964

More ammo the better yet you don't know what to do with wheat or want to need water to prepare food?

You have a lot of studying to do
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 16:42   #11
NickC50310

Quote:
Originally Posted by quake View Post
This approach is best imo, at least when beginning. Simply stock more of what you already use. If you have a favorite brand of green beans, etc, stick with them if practical.

Some questions - do you mind sharing some specifics? Budget allotted, situational specifics like urban, rural, apartment, etc, potential weather issues (I don't know much about Des Moines), how many people you're trying to prepare for (the quantity of people can quickly change the type of approach taken), special needs or idiosyncracies of those people (single, married, infants, handicapped, etc).

Not to get into your business, and it's uncomfortable to list more personal info; completely understand. Short of more info, I'd have to agree with chute the mall - start with more of your normal, familiar stuff first. That's an easy way to build to several months' supply with no 'adjustment' issues.
No problem listing some details here! As for budgeting, I dont have an amount set aside. For my budget I have about $600 per month "disposable" income for this so it will be built up over time. I am in an urban area. I am within a mile of city limits though and have multiple routes that can get me out of town quickly. I dont really plan to provide essential services to many other people. I would probably only have one other able bodied adult male living off my supplies. For that reason, I would probably stock enough for two with a significant amount of spare goods for a possible third. Everyone else I would have join my group would likely have their own supplies or means for getting them (lots of hunters and outdoorsmen).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirgi08 View Post
Yep,the info is on GT.Read the sub-forum.I've not seen a topic unanswered.'08.
Thanks! I will check that out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmoryDoc View Post
I have the Katadyn Combi. Not sure about the one you list.
Thanks! I will look into that one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
More ammo the better yet you don't know what to do with wheat or want to need water to prepare food?

You have a lot of studying to do
With enough firepower and ammo cant I just steal whatever I need!!?? Obviously Im kidding!
Old 08-13-2012, 16:44   #12
NickC50310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kanik View Post
Canned goods should last you a couple of years, so keep the bottled water for drinking. Fill some containers with water for flushing the toilet as well, and keep extra toilet paper and personal hygiene items.
I see that you are in DesMoines, Iowa; have a back-up heating source such as a Pro-Com ventless heater or Big Buddy ventless heater and some bottles of propane. I know that winters can be pretty tough up there! A multi-source power radio and lights are good to have in the event of power failure. I keep some 12 volt batteries, power inverters, and l.e.d. lights for that purpose.

Keep us apprised of your progress!
Definately gets mega cold here. Kerosene and kerosene heater is on the list. I like the car battery idea! I will look into that as well!
Old 08-13-2012, 20:59   #13
barbedwiresmile
Unreconstructed

K.I.S.S. -----

Plant fruit and nut trees. If you own rather than rent, start a garden and start learning.

Next, learn to can. With a minimal up-front investment, you can start laying up your own, much healthier stores.

Learn to raise small livestock: chickens and rabbits in an urban environment.

Learn now to hunt, trap, and snare. Even in an urban setting you may be surprised at the abundance of wild game all around you.

Do not speak to anyone about your preps. Or your firearms. Period.

Make sure your preps include barter items. Budget for it. Batteries, tobacco, 'cigarette' papers, booze, plastic lighters, chocolate, condoms, nylon stockings, socks, personal hygiene items. Do not, under any circumstances, plan on bartering ammo. (see paragraph above)

Do not buy in to "bug out" fantasies. Dig your heels in and hang tight.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Por La Raza todo, Fuera de La Raza nada
barbedwiresmile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 22:53   #14
Allfal

Much has already been covered. As has been said, to start off just store more of the non perishable food that you already eat. Grains, rice beans ect are very useful for longer term storage. You would have to get used to eating them, which can be a big deal. The Roman empire conquered large amounts of territory by soaking grains in water barrels during the days march, adding whatever meats they scavenged during the day and cooking it at the end of the day. Their diet may have contributed to their willingness to fight since it sucked so much. Wheat, rice, beans ect are a great source of inexpensive protein. They can be difficult to prepare in an appetizing way under difficult circumstances

Water is a big deal. Have several means to purify it ranging from pool shock to those filters designed for 3rd world countries. None are prohibitively expensive.

In an urban area, consider stocking cheap squirrel and pigeon traps. If near waterways or ponds with fish, consider inexpensive gill nets, drag nets or trot lines with hooks. Cheap easy protien. Try water bath, pressure canning, smoking, salting or dehydrating now to learn to preserve any surplus you may obtain during bad times. Learn which method works for what you are preserving.

Firearms are basic. This is a gun board. 9mm V .45, .223 V .308, it's mostly BS. What new whizz bang tactical stuff is available is really secondary. Have the means, skill and mind set and it will work until it doesn't. Have reliable weapons and sufficient ammo.

Knowledge is your most important asset. With some minimal preps and alot of knowledge of methods of harvest, salvage and preparation you would be very far ahead of most residents of that urban area. There really is alot more, you just can't find it in some single post. Look around, think of what you need to live and how to provide it.
Allfal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:40   #15
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

Add $20 a week ta yer pantry,you won't believe how fast your pantry expands.Buy what you normally eat.The next thing is keeping quiet about your "preps",you wouldn't believe how many folks state "I'll just come ta your house".

Water is the key,being able ta store/procure/filter is a very good start.Food,as stated,store your normal diet.Remember,if something does "happen",your caloric intake will need ta meet the stress levels of the situation.

IE,your body burns through more "stuff" when stressed than not.If your daily caloric intake is 2500,if something does happen your need of calories may rise ta 4000 a day.You've got ta be able ta design a storage plan ta account for this.'08.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 22:09   #16
Johnny Cache

Quote:
Hi guys! I have decided I better start some prepping. I am going to start storing bottled water and get a water barrel. Most of the stuff will be kept in my basement which is usually cool and dry. I want to have AT LEAST between a 1 month and 3 month supply of essential items.

Basically, my biggest question is prep food. I am leaning towards the 3 month two person kit by Aguason Farms from sams. It looks like this stuff needs water to prepare it? My original thinking was that I wouldnt want stuff that required water for prep as I would probably want to drink my water instead... The kit also has a TON of hard white wheat. WTF am I going to do with a bunch of wheat? Got any tips on this stuff?

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/augason...ction=#reviews

As for ammo, the more the better!

Thanks for any help or tips!
Your intuition about the waterless food is very good.
When it comes to food that is meant to stay in one place anyway, as opposed to being transported, go ahead and opt for stuff that has plenty of moisture in it, and don't shy away from canned goods.
The freeze-dried rations, etc. are handy for when carried weight is a concern--be it in a vehicle, or ultimately on your back.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:33   #17
Mr.Pliskin

Quote:
The kit also has a TON of hard white wheat. WTF am I going to do with a bunch of wheat? Got any tips on this stuff?

!
Wheat berries can cover a pretty broad spectrum of foods and should be a staple prep. They last nearly forever so you can buy them and forget about them if you wish. You can sprout them for a boost in vitamins and add them to salads, or just eat the sprouted grain. You can toast and boil them in water to make a breakfast dish or add them to soups. Then you can grind them to flower and add oil and water and make tasty tortillas, or add a yeast and make bread (hundreds of variations). a very useful food.

Sams also has a pretty good grinder through augason farms for about $50. But like everyone says, "Store what you eat" but if you experiment with the wheatberries I bet you wont be disappointed. I also store white flower cause I dont want to be grinding all the time, or only be limited to real whole wheat bread(which is great for grilled cheese) but after learning all its uses I dont buy store bread or tortillas anymore. Instead I make my own.
Mr.Pliskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:49   #18
Mr.Pliskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbedwiresmile View Post
K.I.S.S. -----

Plant fruit and nut trees. If you own rather than rent, start a garden and start learning.
Even if your in an apartment you can have a small garden. Get a few of the large storage toats from Wal mart, some potting soil and pick your favorite seeds. Put about 12 inches of soil in the toats and plant your favorite seeds in there. Put the toats on your balcony or wherever it gets the most sun and water daily..you'd be amazed how much you can grow in there. For vine plants like tomatoes get a hanging planter and put a hole in the bottom. After your (tomato) plant sprouts put it in upside down and hang it.
Mr.Pliskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 15:06   #19
alexanderg23

get some fishing yo-yos and a bunch of mac and cheese and ramen
Old 08-21-2012, 15:56   #20
cs133atom

Check out this company; recently stumbled into them and found them to be interesting MaxLifeFoods
cs133atom is offline   Reply With Quote