Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-11-2012, 12:00   #1
Shark1007

any recoil lessening mods available?

I have a 27 with a connversion barrel and a 23 with the same, both are Glock barrels and both are flawless.

I'm almost 60, ex LEO/Military and have been a shooter forever. I have a herniated disc in my neck from a car wreck and recoil hurts. I feel the need to occasionally practice and I think the .357 sig in the compact may be the ultimate carry piece for family defense.

Is there any modification or part that can reduce recoil a bit and not alter reliaility? I'm doomed to cervical fusion as soon as I get over the recent lumbar fusion and would like to be able practice once in a while. I shot the other day and wound up almost unable to get out of bed the next day.

I traded for the H&K USP Compact because the recoil is said to be less, but I think I still shoot better with the Glock.

Thanks in advance. I shoot the LE Gold Dots.

Last edited by Shark1007; 12-11-2012 at 12:01..
Shark1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 13:08   #2
Krav Maglock

Try Federal Low Recoil Hydra Shok Ammo or look into Mag-na- Port.

Last edited by Krav Maglock; 12-11-2012 at 14:58..
Krav Maglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:07   #3
PBRLite

An ISMI non captured or Wolff guide rod with a 20lb spring greatly reduced recoil in my G31 and G32.
PBRLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 13:48   #4
PEC-Memphis
Scottish Member

The only way to reduce recoil is to change the physics associated with the firearm, such as:

(1) Change the momentum (M*V) of the projectile. If the product of the mass times velocity of load "A" is less than load "B", the recoil will be less for load "A".

(2) You can change (increase) the weight of the firearm, resulting in a less recoil for a given load.

"Perceived recoil" is a hotly debated subject, and is difficult to quantify. Some people will perceive a loading with a heavier bullet to have less recoil than an equal momentum loading with a lighter (faster) bullet (even though the recoil is the same); the difference is the slide velocity (for a semi-auto). Most people will perceive a lower slide velocity with lower recoil.

Also spring weights will change the distance over which the momentum is dissipated. For a given load, heavier recoil springs decrease the distance and may (usually) be perceived as greater recoil - and usually creates more (actual) muzzle "dip" as the slide returns to battery.

Psychology also comes into play. If someone tells another person to expect more or less of "something" they will usually perceive the change. I, and others, have done this. I've given a person a revolver with .38+p loading, told them that this is a .38 which is less powerful than a .357, and have them shoot 6-12 rounds. Then I tell them that this is a .357 MAGNUM load (even though it is the same .38+p) and ask them if they "tell" the difference. 9 times out of 10 the answer usually is something like "oh yeah, man, that is really powerful - a lot more than the .38". In my opinion, most "recoil reducing stuff" falls under the psychological benefit.

Other things such a bore axis relative to grip position, weight distribution, porting, etc. really do change muzzle rise (but not actual recoil). Less muzzle rise is almost always perceived as less recoil, and actually does contribute to better recovery.

Last edited by PEC-Memphis; 12-12-2012 at 13:57..
PEC-Memphis is offline   Reply With Quote