Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 17:57   #1
rkrk
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 258
410 for home defense

I am looking to get my dad a shotgun for HD. I am thinking of a 410 side by side. At 80 he is far from feeble but I feel he (and his wife who also wants to be able to use the gun) will be more proficient with a lighter, more easily wielded gun.

He has shouldered my 590A1 and grunted at its weight.

My other consideration is how little I expect him to shoot/train with the gun and a side by side seems like it will offer the simplest platform.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance
Rk
rkrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 18:11   #2
collim1
Shower Time!
 
collim1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 10,434
I'd go with a 20g "coach gun" style. I agree that a double is a great, simple system to operate.

.410 is pitiful, even for small game. It throws a pitiful pattern full of holes. .410 slugs are also pretty useless. The new .410 loads designed for for the Judge type handguns are gimmicky, and I wouldn't trust them for SD. I grew up hunting with a .410 and realized its limitations pretty quickly, even on small game.

Step up to 20g and you still have a smaller lightweight gun, but now its capable of real SD. 20 pellets of #3 buck is no joke.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 18:21   #3
257 roberts
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by collim1 View Post
I'd go with a 20g "coach gun" style. I agree that a double is a great, simple system to operate.

.410 is pitiful, even for small game. It throws a pitiful pattern full of holes. .410 slugs are also pretty useless. The new .410 loads designed for for the Judge type handguns are gimmicky, and I wouldn't trust them for SD. I grew up hunting with a .410 and realized its limitations pretty quickly, even on small game.

Step up to 20g and you still have a smaller lightweight gun, but now its capable of real SD. 20 pellets of #3 buck is no joke.
I agree but a 80 yr old man that has lived life and has a 410 double loaded with 3" (anything) will most likely when the fight
257 roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 19:41   #4
method
Senior Member
 
method's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 6,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by collim1 View Post
I'd go with a 20g "coach gun" style. I agree that a double is a great, simple system to operate.

.410 is pitiful, even for small game. It throws a pitiful pattern full of holes. .410 slugs are also pretty useless. The new .410 loads designed for for the Judge type handguns are gimmicky, and I wouldn't trust them for SD. I grew up hunting with a .410 and realized its limitations pretty quickly, even on small game.
Step up to 20g and you still have a smaller lightweight gun, but now its capable of real SD. 20 pellets of #3 buck is no joke.
Out of a full length barrel, .410 buckshot is no joke either...

They don't sound very impressive on paper, but plenty of people use .410 slugs on deer.

Last edited by method; 12-12-2012 at 19:45..
method is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 20:28   #5
vafish
Senior Member
 
vafish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Commonwealth of Virginia
Posts: 24,087
I think he would do fine with one of these and some 3" mag buck shot.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...s_id/411544790
__________________
"If your plan is for one year, plant rice.
If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
If your plan is for one hundred years,
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 22:21   #6
Burncycle
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 779
.410 is fine so long as you're using 5x buckshot and have follow up shots (I'd suggest a Mossberg 500e if you're set on the .410 route)

I have one with a pistol grip only, it's very light, short and handy. It's not my main home defense weapon (I also have a 12 gauge and a variety of other options) but I wouldn't feel undergunned with it. I might if it was a single or double shot only though...

Last edited by Burncycle; 12-12-2012 at 22:22..
Burncycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 22:27   #7
kasper7106
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: central ohio
Posts: 239
A 410 with 000 or slugs will more than enough gun for an 80 year old man and women for HD. a 20 gauge with some high powered buck or slugs can really pack a wallup on 80 year old bones
kasper7106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 23:26   #8
countrygun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 17,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper7106 View Post
A 410 with 000 or slugs will more than enough gun for an 80 year old man and women for HD. a 20 gauge with some high powered buck or slugs can really pack a wallup on 80 year old bones
You face a double-edged sword. Some of the nice small .410s are about as nasty on the back end as a heavier 20, and then again some 12s are easier than light 20s.

It's a toss up as to whether the weight or the recoil will be the problem.

Of course, the wild thinker I am, I thought of a 20 ga coach gun with .410 shell shrinkers.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 23:58   #9
Berto
woo woo
 
Berto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: WA
Posts: 29,924


THose newer 5 ball OOO loads for the Judge whould be pretty decisive in a 20+" bbl'd double, I'd think.
__________________
The West is the Best.
Berto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 00:14   #10
Aceman
Senior Member
 
Aceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa
Posts: 6,501
Can't support the use of .410.

20 gauge. If they are really that old and feeble, maybe it's time to surrender.
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 00:17   #11
countrygun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 17,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berto View Post
THose newer 5 ball OOO loads for the Judge whould be pretty decisive in a 20+" bbl'd double, I'd think.
That's what I was thinking.

( I still think they should make a small simple blowback carbine in .32 or .380 for some folks. Put a 16" barrel and buttstock on the Czech Skorpion, with sau, a 15-20 rd mag.)
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 00:22   #12
countrygun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 17,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
Can't support the use of .410.

20 gauge. If they are really that old and feeble, maybe it's time to surrender.
Would you like a cookie to go with that glass of arrogance?

I hope you never get stuck in a situation with a gun you don't think measures up. Surrender is embarrasing
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 00:47   #13
ChuteTheMall
HildabeastHater
 
ChuteTheMall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Anti-Obamaville
Posts: 59,999


Although I really enjoy my SXS coachgun, for home defense two shots might not be enough.
I suggest a Glock G17 or anything similar.
It's easier to draw and use a handgun if you've "fallen and you can't get up." Sometimes only one hand is free.
__________________
"He said he fired a burst at the chest and if they didn't fall fast enough, he fired a burst at the face. He never needed to reload and had enough on board so if he missed a shot or two he could catch up in the fight. " -Gabe Suarez, 2008
ChuteTheMall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:53   #14
Aceman
Senior Member
 
Aceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa
Posts: 6,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
Would you like a cookie to go with that glass of arrogance?

I hope you never get stuck in a situation with a gun you don't think measures up. Surrender is embarrasing
You know, at some point you just aren't defending yourself with a gun. I understand that Grandpa may be elderly and pretty feeble. That doesn't mean he is an invalid.

But we wouldn't recommend a .22 pistol for his SD/HD needs either, and I'm really having a lot of trouble with the .410.

Basically we have said up front that we have a frail elderly individual, who isn't going to practice, and now we are recommending a terribly underpowered gun for him.

I am not at all saying he CAN'T defend himself with a .410. I know for certain a .410 could kill a bad guy dead. Emphasis on COULD. Probably won't - and not necessarily a 'stopper' either. I'm saying I'm not optimistic about how this turns out in a lot of ways. And we haven't even mentioned the guys vision / night vision ability yet.

At some point you may want to seriously start considering A .38 cal revolver, a good set of locks and security system, or perhaps even moving. Maybe a dog. This is almost the equivalent of a woman who doesn't like the big "bang" so she wants a .s22. Generally a bad idea.

And I'm recommending some sort of .20g - I didn't say he needed a 3" Magnum 12 to even begin to feel safe.

You can give me all the examples of how effective a .410 CAN be (when the wind is right, the stars aligned, the moon is full, on a Sunday, if it's the 7th, and the shooter is amazing). But generally, no.



The guy can find a Bantam 20, with the right ammo and training be good to go. And it will be wayyyyy better than the .410.

If you are getting the gun for SD/HD
#1 Learn to REALLY use it
#2 Bring enough gun

This guy said right out of the gate neither of those was happening - so now everyone is going to do triple backflips through flaming hoops to explain why a .410 is good choice. Well, I think it is a piss poor choice period. I'm not a fan of the 20, but it is at least in the realm of "acceptable" even if very low on the list.



You should have brought an apple, 'cause you just got schooled.

Last edited by Aceman; 12-13-2012 at 05:58..
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:56   #15
Aceman
Senior Member
 
Aceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa
Posts: 6,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
Although I really enjoy my SXS coachgun, for home defense two shots might not be enough.
I suggest a Glock G17 or anything similar.
It's easier to draw and use a handgun if you've "fallen and you can't get up." Sometimes only one hand is free.
Especially two shots of .410
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:49   #16
rkrk
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 258
My father is 81 this month but is not feeble, frail or an invalid. Aside from reading glasses his vision (day and night) is intact. He does not walk with a cane and his wife who was also mentioned in the original post is 20 years his younger. He served in the army, still goes to work daily, and currently does own a 38, a good set of locks and a security system. He is looking for an additional layer of security and hence his request and my post.

Your points about the inadequacies of a 410 for HD are well taken.

My biggest concern is that I don't expect him to train regularly so want to get him a simple platform to use.

A bantam 20 is a good thought and something I had on my list as well.

Nice post. Thanks.

Let me know how that cookie is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
You know, at some point you just aren't defending yourself with a gun. I understand that Grandpa may be elderly and pretty feeble. That doesn't mean he is an invalid.

But we wouldn't recommend a .22 pistol for his SD/HD needs either, and I'm really having a lot of trouble with the .410.

Basically we have said up front that we have a frail elderly individual, who isn't going to practice, and now we are recommending a terribly underpowered gun for him.

I am not at all saying he CAN'T defend himself with a .410. I know for certain a .410 could kill a bad guy dead. Emphasis on COULD. Probably won't - and not necessarily a 'stopper' either. I'm saying I'm not optimistic about how this turns out in a lot of ways. And we haven't even mentioned the guys vision / night vision ability yet.

At some point you may want to seriously start considering A .38 cal revolver, a good set of locks and security system, or perhaps even moving. Maybe a dog. This is almost the equivalent of a woman who doesn't like the big "bang" so she wants a .s22. Generally a bad idea.

And I'm recommending some sort of .20g - I didn't say he needed a 3" Magnum 12 to even begin to feel safe.

You can give me all the examples of how effective a .410 CAN be (when the wind is right, the stars aligned, the moon is full, on a Sunday, if it's the 7th, and the shooter is amazing). But generally, no.



The guy can find a Bantam 20, with the right ammo and training be good to go. And it will be wayyyyy better than the .410.

If you are getting the gun for SD/HD
#1 Learn to REALLY use it
#2 Bring enough gun

This guy said right out of the gate neither of those was happening - so now everyone is going to do triple backflips through flaming hoops to explain why a .410 is good choice. Well, I think it is a piss poor choice period. I'm not a fan of the 20, but it is at least in the realm of "acceptable" even if very low on the list.



You should have brought an apple, 'cause you just got schooled.
rkrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:55   #17
fuzzy03cls
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,744
Quote:
.410 is pitiful
Agree, horrible SD choice. Don't believe the hype. Stick with what works.
fuzzy03cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:02   #18
Fear Night
NRA Life Member
 
Fear Night's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Posts: 3,853
Get him a 10/22 with a 25rd Butler Creek mag. If the chances are low that a quick stoppage will happen, at least give him 25 chances. Two shots of .410 would leave him extremely under-gunned.

Don't buy into the .410 Judge SD/HD hype.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Fear Night; 12-13-2012 at 08:16..
Fear Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:15   #19
Hauptmann6
Senior Member
 
Hauptmann6's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Portage, MI
Posts: 9,342
Send a message via AIM to Hauptmann6 Send a message via MSN to Hauptmann6 Send a message via Yahoo to Hauptmann6
a 410 is less than perfect. But it's much better than nothing. .410 slugs will do quite a job on a deer. It's not like they are coming out of a 6" barrel.

How bout some sort of 9mm carbine? Less recoil, more shots and not all that heavy.
__________________
--Power corrupts. Absolute power is pretty groovy baby!--
Do you believe in forever?
I don't even believe in tomorrow
The only things that last forever
Are memories and sorrow
Hauptmann6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:20   #20
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership
*********
 
MrMurphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Buried in the X-files
Posts: 31,702
A double barrel 20 gauge with a good recoil pad would be my recommendation.

If that's too much recoil, a 9mm carbine might work, or a .357 levergun (also with a good recoil pad).

Last resort, a 10/22 with a couple 25 round mags. .22s can definitely be lethal, and 25 rounds of high velocity .22 at close range is not something i'd want to be up against even wearing armor, because people get lucky.
__________________
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:58.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,041
295 Members
746 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31