SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-05-2012, 13:32   #1
plouffedaddy

Remington #4 Buckshot Gel Test & Results

Tactical Shotguns

Just finished up the testing of the #4 buckshot round from Remington (#12B4) Here are the conditions and results.

Test conditions:
-20'' Remington 870 barrel (no aftermarket chokes, as it comes from the factory)
-300 feet above sea level
-Test rounds fired from 10 feet
-FBI spec Clear Ballistics gel block (more on this below)
-4 layers of denim

Results:
-1234 fps average velocity
-11.5-15'' of penetration
-3'' pattern

The manufacture of the gel block, Clear Ballistics, claims their gel meets FBI specs for testing. I calibrate my gel per their specs prior to testing and use 4 layers of denim per IWBA protocol.
However, by no means am I saying this test is a substitute for the great work industry professionals like Dr. Roberts and others do. I'm just a shooter that likes to learn about the products I use.
Here's the video showing the test, the permanent cavity, and a discussion of the results:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Certified Glock Armorer

Last edited by plouffedaddy; 12-05-2012 at 13:33..
plouffedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 13:47   #2
triggerjerk

Another informative vid!

Any updates on the vepr12 or krebs?
triggerjerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 14:11   #3
Berto
woo woo

Awesome!! Thanks for the reviews, you do great work and this one was especially interesting. Nice job not killing the chrono too, it's tricky with SGs sometimes.
Old 12-05-2012, 14:14   #4
plouffedaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerjerk View Post
Another informative vid!

Any updates on the vepr12 or krebs?
Thank you.

Any update in particular you're looking for?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Certified Glock Armorer
Old 12-05-2012, 16:20   #5
Big Bird
NRA Life Member

The thing I love about #4 buck is you get a very usable pattern for average inside-the-house engagement ranges. Its pretty consistent across standard loads too with the exception being loads like Federal's Tactical Load with the flite control wad.

But look at your results--3" pattern at 10 feet! About across the room. That's perfect!

Go out to 10 yards and it will open up to about 7"...again--perfect!

And 10-12" of penetration with twenty seven .24 caliber pellets will shred a human torso...

That's why I like #4 buck inside the house!

“Est Nulla Via Invia Virute”
Big Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 16:35   #6
K.Kiser

The ol' #4 buck is a tough customer inside 25 yards... There are some that will only use 00 or 000 buck, but I'll assure you there's no man on any amount of street drugs that can take a dose of #4 buck to the upper torso inside a home and live to complain about it.. It is the very maximum shot size that I would use for home defense..
K.Kiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 16:44   #7
concretefuzzynuts
Brew Crew

I have a case of it stored. It's great for home defense. Although right now I keep 00 buck loaded, you can't argue with 9-32 cal pellets.

I also have some shells that are a 00 and #4 mix. I haven't tried them yet.
GTDS Member #7
GOTOD Member #757
Snub Club Member #757
NRA Member
concretefuzzynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:24   #8
triggerjerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by plouffedaddy View Post
Thank you.

Any update in particular you're looking for?
Just anything on how they are wearing/breaking in, reliability quirks, etc., etc.
triggerjerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:38   #9
plouffedaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerjerk View Post
Just anything on how they are wearing/breaking in, reliability quirks, etc., etc.
Nothing at all interesting to report--still no malfunctions and going strong. I should be getting my SGM 10 and 12 rounders in soon though for the VEPR 12...

Certified Glock Armorer
Old 12-06-2012, 17:37   #10
F_G

Great review, thanks for your time and effort.

F_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 17:57   #11
collim1
Shower Time!

Nice video, I keep my HD shotgun loaded with #4 buck. Patterns good to about 20 yds then starts spreading pretty far. Great for in the house.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 18:57   #12
glockman99

In the magazine of my Remington 870 Express Magnum Tactical 12-gauge, I have 3 of the #4 buckshot (in 3" magnum), followed by 3 of the #00 buckshot (in 3" magnum), and another 6 rounds of #00 buckshot (in 3" magnum) in the receiver shot-shell carrier (ALL are Remington factory ammo). I have an 18.5" vent rib barrel on my 870, with a +2 magazine extension.
glockman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 20:51   #13
Big Bird
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockman99 View Post
In the magazine of my Remington 870 Express Magnum Tactical 12-gauge, I have 3 of the #4 buckshot (in 3" magnum), followed by 3 of the #00 buckshot (in 3" magnum), and another 6 rounds of #00 buckshot (in 3" magnum) in the receiver shot-shell carrier (ALL are Remington factory ammo). I have an 18.5" vent rib barrel on my 870, with a +2 magazine extension.
I shoot 3" Steel loads all the time. But you are more of a man than me if you can wield 3" magnum buckshot loads with precision

“Est Nulla Via Invia Virute”
Big Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:04   #14
beforeobamabans
FYPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
The thing I love about #4 buck is you get a very usable pattern for average inside-the-house engagement ranges. Its pretty consistent across standard loads too with the exception being loads like Federal's Tactical Load with the flite control wad.

But look at your results--3" pattern at 10 feet! About across the room. That's perfect!

Go out to 10 yards and it will open up to about 7"...again--perfect!

And 10-12" of penetration with twenty seven .24 caliber pellets will shred a human torso...

That's why I like #4 buck inside the house!
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Kiser View Post
The ol' #4 buck is a tough customer inside 25 yards... There are some that will only use 00 or 000 buck, but I'll assure you there's no man on any amount of street drugs that can take a dose of #4 buck to the upper torso inside a home and live to complain about it.. It is the very maximum shot size that I would use for home defense..
I appreciate these comments as I just begin to research tactical shotguns and HD ammo. Vastly superior to a pistol...

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." Ben Franklin
beforeobamabans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 16:33   #15
glockman99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
I shoot 3" Steel loads all the time. But you are more of a man than me if you can wield 3" magnum buckshot loads with precision
I'm a pretty big guy...5'11", 260 lbs., 53" chest..
Recoil doesn't bother me all that much (I've even fired a .460 Weatherby Magnum...twice), and I know how to hold a shotgun right...Also, the Knoxx/Blackhawk adjustable pistol-grip stock on my 870 has a pretty good recoil pad on it.

Last edited by glockman99; 12-07-2012 at 16:34..
glockman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 21:38   #16
Aceman

I'm a girly-man using 2 3/4 low recoil 00 buck. For some reason, I'm not worried though, even though it isn't the big manly 3" shells some of you are using.
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:17   #17
K.Kiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by beforeobamabans View Post
I appreciate these comments as I just begin to research tactical shotguns and HD ammo. Vastly superior to a pistol...
Don't carve my comments in stone, it's just my opinion from my years with firearms and probably flawed like the rest of me...

In regard to pistols, an experienced and capable defender armed with a decent handgun is no one that I want to threaten and is a good way for a bad guy to get dead..

Last edited by K.Kiser; 12-08-2012 at 09:06..
Old 12-08-2012, 11:15   #18
beforeobamabans
FYPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Kiser View Post
Don't carve my comments in stone, it's just my opinion from my years with firearms and probably flawed like the rest of me...

In regard to pistols, an experienced and capable defender armed with a decent handgun is no one that I want to threaten and is a good way for a bad guy to get dead..
Understood. I recently recovered my father's Browning FN A5 and I'm trying to figure it out before adding to my HD arsenal. I'm pretty competent with my Glocks (below) but, I love the idea of this bad boy 5 shot semi-auto loaded with gut shredding buckshot. The serial number is 7G XXXX which, according to Browning's website is a 1967 Light 12. This thing has low miles on it and I'm trying to figure out just what I may need to update. So far, recoil spring seems to be CW.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." Ben Franklin
beforeobamabans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:27   #19
K.Kiser

The A5's did need a spring change for different powered loads, but other than that I wouldn't mess with it... Those shotguns aren't beaters if ya know what I mean... The Belgian Brownings are bit pricey and respected by true entusiasts... I don't mean to say that it shouldn't be shot, because I'd shoot with zero worry because they are well built guns...

I'm a little anal and bit of a traditionalist, so with that said I would use it with confidence but just not modify it in any way other than a maybe a simple part swap...
Old 12-09-2012, 11:17   #20
DFin

I fired several rounds of Federal 3 inch #4 Buck from a 20 inch barrelled 870 but did not even hit my target or 3x3 foot backer. It makes me wonder where those pellets went.

Last edited by DFin; 12-09-2012 at 16:40..
DFin is offline   Reply With Quote