Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:38   #1
jrpro130

Xds

So I'm just creating talk here, but seems as if everyone is so stuck on capacity that even single stack 9's aren't enough to carry anymore

So thoughts on the XDS? It looks like an incredible little 45...

To me, not sure I feel comfortable with 5+1, but that sure is a nice gun! The way balistics are now a days, I'm comfortable with 9mm

Thoughts?
Old 08-16-2012, 12:51   #2
simotek

It's always better to have more than you need when it comes to protection. Be it your savings, your insurance coverage, or the number of rounds you carry.

That said, I think some people often lose scope of "reality" when they think about how many rounds they need to carry to feel adequately protected. Concealed carry to me means personal protection. Personal protection probably doesn't entail engaging in extended gunfights with multiple assailants.

In the most probable type of defensive situation I am probably fine with the 6+1 capacity of my CM9. However I always carry a reload with that gun just in case.

I'm a little better off with the added capacity of my G26 or G19, and I don't usually carry a reload with those... but sometimes I do. Really depends on where I'm going, what I'm doing, or how I feel.

I think, as long as you're a good shot, 5+1 of .45 ACP is plenty for the type of defensive situation you're most likely to encounter. However, I'd be sure to carry a reload or two, just in case.

Last edited by simotek; 08-16-2012 at 12:52..
simotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:53   #3
jrpro130

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate the words of wisdom! I'm hooked on that gun it looks like a winner to me! I posted in another thread but statistically self defense shootings are 3-4rds fired. It's where police shootings are higher at 8-9, but people just see that number. We aren't cops!
Old 08-16-2012, 13:12   #4
cowboy1964

5+1 is pretty minimal, IMO. 7+1 gives a better comfort margin.

There was a shooting just posted in the last week where someone used 5 rounds against a couple of shop robbers (and he may have needed more but they ran off... it's unclear whether he only stopped shooting because he ran dry). Civilian shootings involving more than 3-4 rounds are common enough that it needs to be considered. There are even the occasional cases where 7 or 8 (of .45!) isn't enough (the retired Florida Marine from a few years back that Ayoob cites is a good example).

Last edited by cowboy1964; 08-16-2012 at 13:16..
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 15:38   #5
bilkay

I recently bought an XDs. It replaced my G26 for EDC. I'm fine with 5+1+7.

The XDs is a great LITTLE pistol, and it's easy to shoot. It's extremely easy to conceal.

I'll still carry the G26 sometimes but I might not carry the LCP any more.

Now I just need to find a new home for my G30SF.
bilkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 17:07   #6
rilkil23

Am I the only one who plans on running like hell from a gunfight? I have no intention of bunkering down to do battle, I'll be on my horse, firing as I go. I see no problem with a 5+1 in 45acp as a CONCEALED carry option. I understand capacity being a big concern but I can only carry what I can carry. My work piece is a LC9 and my day off guns are a G22 and a G19c. I wish I could tote the Glocks everyday but that just doesn't work for me.
rilkil23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 17:32   #7
cowboy1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by rilkil23 View Post
Am I the only one who plans on running like hell from a gunfight? I have no intention of bunkering down to do battle
Well that's great (and smart, if possible). Hopefully the bad guy(s) will give you that option. Often times they don't.

But, 5+1 of ANYTHING trumps 0+0 of nothing and most times it will be enough. It's all about odds.

Last edited by cowboy1964; 08-16-2012 at 17:33..
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 20:58   #8
jrpro130

Thanks for the great discussion guys! A lot of good points.

I'm thinking 5+1 is adequate, so long as shots are placed correctly. Out of the recent CCW shootings, they have all been just 2-3 rounds fired and the perps run away!

I hope to never use mine, but as said with others...it's better than 0+0.

.45 has to do more damage than 9mm!!!

The thing that scares me is the .380 shootings we see, where 3-4 rounds are fired and the perp is still running away...even worse what if they were still coming towards you? Thats where .45 has the advantage IMO. I know people talk about ballistics and how they are all the same now a days, but I am not convinced...

Last edited by jrpro130; 08-16-2012 at 21:01..
jrpro130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:58   #9
Dogbite
DNT TREAD ON ME

My dad just traded his Ruger LCR 38 for one of these. I love the thing. Nice sights, feels good in the hand. I think its gonna be a winner. Mag changes dont bother me. Carry an extra mag.

Read a review where they used a chronograph, and the Winchester Ranger t 230gr +p still had just over 400ft lbs of energy from the XDS!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Dogbite; 08-26-2012 at 09:01..
Dogbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:21   #10
shotgunred
reloading nut

Another way to look at it. I mostly carry a G23 with 13 rounds. Sometimes I carry a 357 derringer with 2 rounds. In the 20 years I have been carrying I have never had to use my weapon. So 13 rounds or 2 rounds or even 5 rounds doesn't really make any difference.
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:32   #11
jrpro130

Hopefully we never need it. But if we do...I know I'm prepared.

I think I may wait out for the 9mm version. All my other guns except the lcp and g27 are 9mm. so I just load up on bulk ammo!

Should be wrenching instead of using TapaTalk
Old 08-26-2012, 09:35   #12
jakebrake
cracker

i know everyone screams for more rounds. i carry a 1911. 8 + 1. odds i'll need it? minimal. odds i deed more than 43 rounds... astronmical.

that's just me. ymmv. if you are comfortable with the xds, it works for you.

jrpro130 is dead on. 5+1 is better than 0+0
Old 08-26-2012, 10:03   #13
n8vyc

I had the xds and I could not get the thing to load a hollow point round! i had to return it and got my money back. I love the look and size of the gun. Maybe when the bugs are worked out of it I may consider it. I would love to see it in 357sig! For now I use my Glock 26 or my M&P 340 which hides better than any gun I have and can shoot full load 357 mag!! Ouch...
n8vyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:18   #14
Rustin

It seems that many people who carry are obsessed with mega-capacity, sights that glow in the dark and plenty of mags to reload with when they are involved in a 'gun battle." Fact is, most shootings don't last more than 3 rounds and when they do it's usually someone dumping their whole mag in the heat of the moment. I'm not saying it's bad to carry as much as you can, but don't stress it. The best gun for self defense is the one you hae on you! That being said, I often carry a G17 with 17+1 and a 19 round spare but I feel very comfortable with the LCR. However, I'd like a sheild for enhanced shootability and slim profile.
Rustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:07   #15
happyguy
Man, I'm Pretty

I'm just not comfortable with less than 7 + 1. Having said that, there are times when I can be found toting nothing but a J-Frame. It's not the norm though.

Regards,
Happyguy

P.S. I am considering a Shield or other small 9mm and completely relegating the J-Frame to back-up and coat pocket duty.
Proverbs 21:31 The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but victory is of the LORD.

"I refuse to tip-toe through life only to arrive at death safely."

Last edited by happyguy; 08-26-2012 at 12:08..
happyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:24   #16
mj9mm

remember, for the average conceal carry person, we carry what fits our needs for the day. how we dress and what we are doing changes not only day to day, but hour to hour. so many of us own differant weapons to fit differant circunstances, and the XDs will fit a specific need for many of us. i have a g36 for some days and a cm9 for others. buy and use what fits your needs
mj9mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:33   #17
ScottieG59

I may look at the XDs. I currently carry a Glock 27 with 2 spare magazines. Sometimes, I carry a Ruger LCR with between 2 to 4 speedloaders. I choose to carry as much ammo as I can without trouble.

As to the statistics, much is from the revolver days, when police had to be more sparing with ammo use.

My home defense gun is a Glock 20 with 1 spare magazine. The one in the gun is filled with Critical Defense 165 grain. The extra magazine is loaded with hot Buffalo Bore hollow points, just in case.
ScottieG59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:33   #18
dakrat

always bring spare loaded magazines regardless of weapon capacity.
Old 08-26-2012, 14:19   #19
jrpro130

Like said above. Average is 3 rounds fired. We aren't going to war here.

Like Gomez says, pistols suck by nature. We use them until we can get to a rifle. They have low capacity, not very accurate, and ballistics can't compare to rifles. (RIP GOMEZ)

I am comfortable with 5+1. Especially in .45

Just my .02c, everyone will have their own philosophy.

My thing is, the XDs is just the same size as the shield. So i went for the 7+1 of 9mm. I am very comfortable with 9mm ballistics and technology now is amazing. We are doing things with 9mm we couldn't achieve 25 years ago. Times have changed!!!

Like I said. I still find myself going back to the 27. Just can't beat it.

I'm going to try the PJ Holster for the shield. Give it a whirl.

Should be wrenching instead of using TapaTalk
Old 08-26-2012, 15:29   #20
bilkay

I bought an XDs a few weeks ago. There have been issues reported, such as failure to feed, failure to fully return to battery, and light strikes (likely from failure to fully return to battery).

For the first 150 rounds or so, I had no problems with the pistol. Then, after having seen some videos extolling the virtues of using grease on the rails, barrel, etc., I tried it. During the next range session, toward the end, I had 3 light strikes. I cleaned the pistol, and went back to oil-only lubrication. During my next range session, the light strike problem was gone. I'll be comfortable with the pistol for carry if my next two range sessions are flawless.

I'm a G26 guy but I'm comfortable with the 5+1 capacity of the XDs. I'll carry at least one extra 7 round magazine.

For the size of the XDs, I find it both easy to handle and accurate. It's definitely not as easy to control as a G26 or a G30 but it is very easy to carry.
bilkay is offline   Reply With Quote