Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-17-2012, 13:18   #1
ARP

plinking targets, how thick?

I'll attach a picture of the pistol range where I practice, I mainly shoot .22lr there but the site is set up to handle large caliber rounds. I am speaking of the metal targets there. I am planning to continue to practice and get more proficient and accurate but as I'm finding out accuracy is best measured by holes on a paper target, at least for the circumstances I laid out with just me and no other persons on the range. A second site I shoot at (private property dirt mound has no metal targets......yet I'm thinking about building a steel plinking target for the site #2. The steel at site #1 are huge, salad size or dinner size steel plates, not much of a challenge to hit from 10 yards with a pistol or 25 yrds with the rifle. From the picture I'm thinking of making a copy of the hanging steel plate setup but with saucer size plates or perhaps clay pigeon size plates, I'm wondering if I could use a steel plate that one would find in the electrical dept of HD used for covering an outlet box or possible doubling one of those plates up, double thickness, I'm thinking that the smaller plate will require better accuracy on the shooter using .22lr. Really like the saw horse with the knock down targets and #5 springs them all back up, about $100 for the unit.

Anyone ever do one of those? I really like shootin' steel Some reason can not attach, anyways think a T with targets hanging from it via a chain or cable. PLINK!

Last edited by ARP; 08-17-2012 at 18:07..
ARP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 19:16   #2
vafish

Steel targets need to be the proper type of steel.

.22lr doesn't require as hard of a steel as centerfire rifle targets do, but I still wouldn't use cheap outlet box covers.
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:01   #3
Travclem
Lifetime Membership
Badass Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARP View Post
I'll attach a picture of the pistol range where I practice, I mainly shoot .22lr there but the site is set up to handle large caliber rounds. I am speaking of the metal targets there. I am planning to continue to practice and get more proficient and accurate but as I'm finding out accuracy is best measured by holes on a paper target, at least for the circumstances I laid out with just me and no other persons on the range. A second site I shoot at (private property dirt mound has no metal targets......yet I'm thinking about building a steel plinking target for the site #2. The steel at site #1 are huge, salad size or dinner size steel plates, not much of a challenge to hit from 10 yards with a pistol or 25 yrds with the rifle. From the picture I'm thinking of making a copy of the hanging steel plate setup but with saucer size plates or perhaps clay pigeon size plates, I'm wondering if I could use a steel plate that one would find in the electrical dept of HD used for covering an outlet box or possible doubling one of those plates up, double thickness, I'm thinking that the smaller plate will require better accuracy on the shooter using .22lr. Really like the saw horse with the knock down targets and #5 springs them all back up, about $100 for the unit.

Anyone ever do one of those? I really like shootin' steel Some reason can not attach, anyways think a T with targets hanging from it via a chain or cable. PLINK!
Thickness is not as important as hardness. All steel targets need to be hard steel, even for .22s. In order to minimize splash back it is important that the steel have a smooth surface. Mild steel will crater when hit with a bullet and once the plate is full of craters you'll start getting ricochets and splash back.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:45   #4
Georgia Patriot

I have used pieces of old lawn mower blades before. They held up to .22lr just fine.
Georgia Patriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 18:05   #5
Ironbar

Not plugging this fellow anything, but I just bought a couple AR500 6" steel gongs, and they're awesome for anything up to a .45 caliber slug!

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/gro...ffordable.html

Another great .22 target is the Birchwood Casey resetting target stand:

http://www.gandermountain.com/modper...mfire&i=400777

I also use the Impact Rolling .22 target- I love this one! They also make one for up to .45 cal.

http://www.rollingsteeltargets.com/S...el-Target.html

And then there's the new-ish Do-All self-healing rolling targets:

http://www.do-alltraps.com/
Ironbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 19:44   #6
ARP

What I've decided to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironbar View Post
Not plugging this fellow anything, but I just bought a couple AR500 6" steel gongs, and they're awesome for anything up to a .45 caliber slug!

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/gro...ffordable.html

Another great .22 target is the Birchwood Casey resetting target stand:

http://www.gandermountain.com/modper...mfire&i=400777

I also use the Impact Rolling .22 target- I love this one! They also make one for up to .45 cal.

http://www.rollingsteeltargets.com/S...el-Target.html

And then there's the new-ish Do-All self-healing rolling targets:

http://www.do-alltraps.com/
Not going to fool with trying to manufacture something myself, going to go with the spring loaded sawhorse number that is .22lr specific sold at Gander and Amazon. Knock down 4 and # 5 resets.

The range where I shoot has steel to plink so I don't need it for local. My BIL has a piece of property up in the big woods, 11 y/o nephew, we take up guns to plink with, I kinda have a feeling that my BIL does not want anything larger up there at this time and I tend to agree. I can shoot the larger caliber stuff locally. My collection has grown a bit since I was there in late June, added a Sig 522 .22lr and a GSG 1911 .22lr, love shooting them and the youngster can easily handle those under close supervision. BIL has a few .22lr rifles and a cheap .22lr pistol, but they are single shot models and take forever to shoot and reload, almost painful. and I also have a Ruger SS .22lr, so .22lr will rule the range there. Plinking the steel with the youngster should be good fun.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:37   #7
John Eastwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARP View Post
Not going to fool with trying to manufacture something myself, going to go with the spring loaded sawhorse number that is .22lr specific sold at Gander and Amazon. Knock down 4 and # 5 resets.

The range where I shoot has steel to plink so I don't need it for local. My BIL has a piece of property up in the big woods, 11 y/o nephew, we take up guns to plink with, I kinda have a feeling that my BIL does not want anything larger up there at this time and I tend to agree. I can shoot the larger caliber stuff locally. My collection has grown a bit since I was there in late June, added a Sig 522 .22lr and a GSG 1911 .22lr, love shooting them and the youngster can easily handle those under close supervision. BIL has a few .22lr rifles and a cheap .22lr pistol, but they are single shot models and take forever to shoot and reload, almost painful. and I also have a Ruger SS .22lr, so .22lr will rule the range there. Plinking the steel with the youngster should be good fun.
Make sure you read the reviews before you purchase. The only link listed that had a good review was the Rolling Steel Target. The rest have terrible reviews in the quality department. I am looking for a a steel swinger for .22 myself and haven't found anything that isn't cheaply made.
John Eastwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:41   #8
ARP

After more thinking

Caldwell spinner type, resets, no springs or plastic parts to break/fail, all positive reviews from Midway. Cheap price too.