Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-18-2012, 09:40   #1
Shoeless
Gun Totin' Girl

Best Way To Sell Old (Vintage?) Firearms??

Ok folks, y'all have come through so many times for me before I'm hoping you can do it yet again...

My friend's father & brother are both deceased and she inherited ten firearms that she would like to sell and she has asked me to help facilitate it.

I'm a pistol girl and I know NOTHING about old/antique/vintage firearms. Heck I don't even know the correct terminology as you can tell!

So I'm here for advice. Here's what she has (to the best of my very limited knowledge). I will upload a photo of any that need more explanation just to give you a little more info. (I can only upload six images so I had to pick and choose which ones deserve images)

5 Long Guns as follows
Double barrel muzzle loader. Barrels are a beautiful light color metal with a very pretty patina. The word "London" is stamped on top of the barrel. This gun is very heavy and about 48" tall.
General Firearms Forum

Single barrel muzzle loader, very pretty reddish wood, almost as tall as I am (it's about 56" long)
General Firearms Forum

Remington Woodsmaster Model 742 autoloader (with a basic 4x scope) (This model was only manufactured between 1960 & 1980)General Firearms Forum

Winchester Model 94 lever action (.32 Win Spl) in very good condition.

Mossberg bolt action .22 rifle (no idea on the model number at the moment, I'll have to double check that when I get my hands on the gun again)

3 Small Arms that look like "dueling pistols" as follows

Very small pistol (3.5 inch barrel). The gun is stamped Mendi with engraving on it. I included a hand in the photo for size context.General Firearms Forum

Large flintlock (is that the right word?) pistol -- on the heavy side. Light colored barrel with a very light layer of rust which I could probably remove but I didn't want to just in case I would mess up the gun. Stamped "Made in Germany".General Firearms Forum

Medium sized pistol that says SPAIN in yellow on the barrel. Dark colored barrel and the lighter metal parts around the trigger are engraved. General Firearms Forum

2 Aviator's Flare Guns as follows

WWII Luftwaffe double barrel aviator's flare gun with various interesting markings on it including manufacturer gpt 1945, eagles and circle 4's on each barrel and others. Black checkered grip.

Unidentified flare gun, wooden grip. Various numbers and stamps on it that I can't identify. Two of the stamps look like acorns to me, though.

ANY AND ALL info will be helpful if you are inclined to respond.

THANK YOU THANK YOU!

Shoeless
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
View my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

and

Last edited by Shoeless; 08-18-2012 at 09:42..
Shoeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:00   #2
ChuteTheMall
HildabeastHater

I bid $100.

No, seriously, contact specialized auction houses, some of which advertize in Shotgun News and Gun List magazines.
Only knowledgable collectors could appraise most of those old guns.
ChuteTheMall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:03   #3
bac1023

Try something online.

bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:03   #4
4 glocks

If they are orginal and not reproductions they may be worth so money. It may be worth the money to have an expert give you a value on them. Once you get an idea on the value an on line auction may be your best bet like gunbroker.
Good luck and take your time selling them.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:46   #5
Wyoming

Send a message via Yahoo to Wyoming
Research what you have so you know what you got and about what they sell for.

If some one locally wants to buy one and you can agree on price sell it.

If not, go on line. GunBroker.com is not only the largest gun auction site in is one of the Internet's "most hits" sites. A much bigger market than asking friends and family or taking out an add in the local paper.

Follow the gun laws. Every item you show can be sent by US Mail. You will need to fill out a PS1508 form (you can get a copy from USPS web site).

Black powder muzzle loading gun are not consider a firearm in most states or by USPS. Modern long guns must be sent to a FFL. A person can legally ship a modern long gun to a FFL. Some FFL won't do it. Some states like California is a PIA.

All modern handguns must go from FFL to FFL. You didn't show any of those but if you do have handguns then you will need the services of a local dealer. You will need to include that in your shipping cost quotes.

If you do your homework first you will get maximum return on your guns.

Good luck,

Dale
Old 08-19-2012, 07:19   #6
oldsoldier

I did a quick internet search on the word Mendi stamped on the one pistol. It came up as a reproduction pistol built in Spain. One website listed a value of $75. I found several examples of the gun and information on loading and firing it. There are several websites for black powder enthusiasts that could help you out with your search for information on the guns. I wouldn't sell one until you're absolutely sure of what you have and what they're worth though.

Last edited by oldsoldier; 08-19-2012 at 07:22..
oldsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote