GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-18-2012, 15:54   #1
Carbonfly

Anyone have an Unlimited gun that I can shoot at the Columbia, SC Match?

I'm still shopping around and am interested in building my own open gun. I would love to actually have the chance to shoot one before I start piecing mine together. I also would love to get my wife to shoot one to try and sell her on the idea of how much we "NEED" one. LOL.

If anyone is going to the GSSF match at MCRC, I would love to workout a time to enter in the Master Unlimited division for fun.

Anyone game? Obviously I'll pay for ammo, etc......I'll even pay for lunch!

Thanks!
Old 08-18-2012, 16:22   #2
SARDG

You can use mine at Conyers if you can get it away from Scott (PM720). That's what I did - borrowed a racer for several matches until I figured out what I wanted.
SARDG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 16:37   #3
Carbonfly

Awww, you won't be at the MCRC match? crap....was hoping you would be there. LOL. I don't know if we will make it to Conyers.
Old 08-18-2012, 21:53   #4
PM720

Isn't Mellisa up that way? I know she was thinking about selling hers or at least the top end.

Scott
PM720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:22   #5
Melissa5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM720 View Post
Isn't Mellisa up that way? I know she was thinking about selling hers or at least the top end.

Scott
Scott, I was a mad hornet after having problems with the gun at Dawsonville. I won't be going to Columbia, but will be at Conyers. I haven't shot the stupid thing since Dawsonville, so I can't say that it was just ammo related problems. I did case gauge the ammo I was trying to use at Dawsonville and found 7 out of 100 that were too tight. So, I need to try it with some factory ammo if I can find some that it will shoot. It is a very finicky gun.
John 3:16
Melissa5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:48   #6
PM720

Aren't they usually? Try some Federal Wally World stuff!

Scott
PM720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:20   #7
Melissa5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM720 View Post
Aren't they usually? Try some Federal Wally World stuff!

Scott
It does not like Federal Champion or WWB from Walmart. I am going to try some Atlanta Arms blue box next. I let a guy at my range shoot it and he used Atlanta Arms black box without any problems, but that stuff is expensive.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:28   #8
SARDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa5 View Post
It does not like Federal Champion or WWB from Walmart. I am going to try some Atlanta Arms blue box next. I let a guy at my range shoot it and he used Atlanta Arms black box without any problems, but that stuff is expensive.
Did I shoot factory in your racer Melissa - I don't remember? If I did, I shot the same factory I use in mine - 124gr Blazer Aluminum. Runs mine great.

However, my other main (147gr) load (which has basically the same ballistics as AA) won't run my racer.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:45   #9
girphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARDG View Post
You can use mine at Conyers if you can get it away from Scott (PM720). That's what I did - borrowed a racer for several matches until I figured out what I wanted.
Hello All, I am Back

On the road for several months and now covering the Political scene.
Also I have been competing in SASS (Cowboy) & Steel Challenge..

Kitty, your Mag is still in the box ready to go and it will get out this week (sorry for delay) .
Hope to see you all in Clearwater Fla & Orlando in 2013.
I will be in St Augustine inn the beginning of January 2013, for the Florida State Cowboy Championships.
Until then....
Gary
Old 08-19-2012, 12:47   #10
girphoto

Quote:
Did I shoot factory in your racer Melissa - I don't remember? If I did, I shot the same factory I use in mine - 124gr Blazer Aluminum. Runs mine great.

However, my other main (147gr) load (which has basically the same ballistics as AA) won't run my racer.
That is because your racer is set up for the 124gr.
They are like race cars, only run on certain fuel mixtures.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:53   #11
girphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonfly View Post
I'm still shopping around and am interested in building my own open gun. I would love to actually have the chance to shoot one before I start piecing mine together. I also would love to get my wife to shoot one to try and sell her on the idea of how much we "NEED" one. LOL.

If anyone is going to the GSSF match at MCRC, I would love to workout a time to enter in the Master Unlimited division for fun.

Anyone game? Obviously I'll pay for ammo, etc......I'll even pay for lunch!

Thanks!
If you come to CLearwater or Orlando in 2013, I will have at least three with me that you can try...Built on G17, G17 G4 or G34 frames.

Interested, give me a call or e-mail

Gary
Old 08-19-2012, 12:53   #12
Melissa5

Quote:

If I remember correctly, you tried factory and your reloads.
Old 08-19-2012, 13:15   #13
SARDG

Quote:
If I remember correctly, you tried factory and your reloads.
I don't think my new 124gr reloads worked - at least they didn't in my gun later on. I'm a little fuzzy on it all.
Old 08-19-2012, 13:16   #14
SARDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by girphoto View Post
That is because your racer is set up for the 124gr.
They are like race cars, only run on certain fuel mixtures.
I'm going to call you in a little while Gary!
Old 08-19-2012, 13:23   #15
girphoto

Quote:
I'm going to call you in a little while Gary!
ok, i am here
Old 08-19-2012, 14:07   #16
kyglockshooter 2.0

Quote:
Scott, I was a mad hornet after having problems with the gun at Dawsonville. I won't be going to Columbia, but will be at Conyers. I haven't shot the stupid thing since Dawsonville, so I can't say that it was just ammo related problems. I did case gauge the ammo I was trying to use at Dawsonville and found 7 out of 100 that were too tight. So, I need to try it with some factory ammo if I can find some that it will shoot. It is a very finicky gun.
I know what you mean about being mad at a gun. Our[meaning my dad's(kyglockshooter)] race gun with a kkm barrel/compensator and jp red dot had a bunch of failure to feeds at dawsonville. I somehow managed to finish enough runs to not get a 500 or worse score lol. We took it to our home range and ran some rounds through it and worked perfectly. Then first three strings of plates(beckley match) all had ftf. We have not yet began to ruling reasons why its doing this, but heads up if you go with a kkm barrel you may have this problem. or maybe its the ammo were shooting and they are actually amazing barrels who knows lol.
kyglockshooter 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 15:07   #17
BamaTrooper
Almost Done

Send a message via Yahoo to BamaTrooper
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyglockshooter 2.0 View Post
I know what you mean about being mad at a gun. Our[meaning my dad's(kyglockshooter)] race gun with a kkm barrel/compensator and jp red dot had a bunch of failure to feeds at dawsonville. I somehow managed to finish enough runs to not get a 500 or worse score lol. We took it to our home range and ran some rounds through it and worked perfectly. Then first three strings of plates(beckley match) all had ftf. We have not yet began to ruling reasons why its doing this, but heads up if you go with a kkm barrel you may have this problem. or maybe its the ammo were shooting and they are actually amazing barrels who knows lol.
It was the change in altitude.
Old 08-19-2012, 17:24   #18
Melissa5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyglockshooter 2.0 View Post
Sorry about your bad luck, KGSII! My barrel is a Lonewolf.
Old 08-19-2012, 17:26   #19
mike g35

It's all in the recoil spring folks. Get a few Wolff round wire springs and try them from heaviest down (say 15-10), the heaviest spring that your gun fully cycles with is the one you should be running. Then you can adjust your load up or down and maybe even try a spring one pound lighter with your current load to fine tune. You can't expect a race gun to run with whatever you feed it using one weight recoil spring. These guns require tuning. Make sure you put the right recoil spring in after cleaning the gun, that's what happened to me in Marietta. Used my G22 in Beckley, it was tuned, no issues.
Old 08-19-2012, 17:47   #20
BamaTrooper
Almost Done

Send a message via Yahoo to BamaTrooper
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike g35 View Post
... You can't expect a race gun to run with whatever you feed it using one weight recoil spring. ...
I think you meant highly modified race guns with after market parts out the wazoo.

My race gun is a 17C with a Cmore dot, Carver mount and a trigger job by DEJ. It hasn't messed up with ME shooting it but I think SARDG tried to get it to choke at P'Cola.