Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-20-2012, 15:39   #1
BearZ061

Last round hanging up in my 1911

I have a 1911 springfield champion model. Yesterday I went shooting with this and my new to me glock gen 3 19. The glock had no issues,except that I could not hit squat. Im to use to my 1911 which I do pretty good with. Anyway I just bought 2 new chip mccormick power mags that I used with the 1911 and sometimes on the last round slow fire only that last round would hang up in the barrel half way with the slide half locked up. If I fire fast thru the whole mag it did not do it. Using blazer brass and golden sabre ammo did the same. The factory mags never did that. Could the springs be to weak in the chip mags ? That what it seems like. The bullet did not have enough force on it to push it into the barrel and left it half way in and out. Any thoughts.
BearZ061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 16:11   #2
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearZ061 View Post
I have a 1911 springfield champion model. Yesterday I went shooting with this and my new to me glock gen 3 19. The glock had no issues,except that I could not hit squat. Im to use to my 1911 which I do pretty good with. Anyway I just bought 2 new chip mccormick power mags that I used with the 1911 and sometimes on the last round slow fire only that last round would hang up in the barrel half way with the slide half locked up. If I fire fast thru the whole mag it did not do it. Using blazer brass and golden sabre ammo did the same. The factory mags never did that. Could the springs be to weak in the chip mags ? That what it seems like. The bullet did not have enough force on it to push it into the barrel and left it half way in and out. Any thoughts.

I have got to say that I think part of the issue is a grip problem, specifically becase you say it didn't happen in rapid fire. The mechanics are the same inside the gun for each round since they don't know how fast the rounds before them were fired.

The mag spring would have nothing to do with the round itself one the case leaves the mag. unless the folwer was rising too high and dragging the slide , which would be obvious and, again wouldn't be affected by slow fire or rapid fire.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 16:45   #3
seanmac45
CLM Number 38
Charter Lifetime Member

How long since your last recoil spring change?

Sound as though you might be due.
Old 08-20-2012, 16:53   #4
brisk21

Try Wilson Combat or Tripp Research mags. They have skirted followers which help eliminate "tilt" of the follower. This will probably solve your problem.
brisk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 17:17   #5
BearZ061

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmac45 View Post
How long since your last recoil spring change?

Sound as though you might be due.
I bought the gun used 2 years ago. Gun production date was 1997. Not sure how old the spring is.
Old 08-20-2012, 17:20   #6
BearZ061

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisk21 View Post
Try Wilson Combat or Tripp Research mags. They have skirted followers which help eliminate "tilt" of the follower. This will probably solve your problem.
Skirted followers, I need to research this. Thanks !
Old 08-20-2012, 17:26   #7
BearZ061

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
I have got to say that I think part of the issue is a grip problem, specifically becase you say it didn't happen in rapid fire. The mechanics are the same inside the gun for each round since they don't know how fast the rounds before them were fired.

The mag spring would have nothing to do with the round itself one the case leaves the mag. unless the folwer was rising too high and dragging the slide , which would be obvious and, again wouldn't be affected by slow fire or rapid fire.
I never thought about that. Could you explain more in detail ?
I would think if I had a gripping issue it would do it on all rounds. It is never to late learn something new so I'm all ears Also I do not believe I am limp wristing.
Thanks !

Last edited by BearZ061; 08-20-2012 at 17:36..
Old 08-20-2012, 20:35   #8
seanmac45
CLM Number 38
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
I bought the gun used 2 years ago. Gun production date was 1997. Not sure how old the spring is.
Call Wolff Gunsprings. Give them the make and model of your pistol. They will advise what spring to purchase. This is the best and most economical first step for you to take.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:08   #9
ca survivor

Quote:
start with a new spring and see.
ca survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:13   #10
jnc54

I had the same problem with Chip McCormack mags I purchased for my 1911. Got me some Wilson Combat 47D mags. Problem solved.
jnc54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:14   #11
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

A new recoil spring is cheap, so even if the gun doesn't need it, it's still cheap investment.

However, I would agree with countrygun's assessment. When people do rapid fire, they automatically tighten up on the grip and locking their arms. THey may not do the same for "regular" shooting.
Old 08-22-2012, 18:11   #12
BearZ061

Going to get another spring and try a different mag,thanks.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:47   #13
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

I seriously doubt the McCormick mags don't have enough spring behind 'em. Take one apart next to a Wilson mag... the wilson spring looks like a joke compared to the McCormick.

I run 8 round powermags all the time in matches (as well as Wilsons, fellas - didn't say they were bad mags). No issues in either of my 1911's.

Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:43   #14
fuzzy03cls

I have the same thing with some of my chip McCormick 8rd mags. From what I can tell the followers are tilting just enough to make the round jam. It's always the last round.
Doesn't happen all the time to me either. Seems to be random.
fuzzy03cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:53   #15
plouffedaddy

Quote:
I never thought about that. Could you explain more in detail ?
I would think if I had a gripping issue it would do it on all rounds. It is never to late learn something new so I'm all ears Also I do not believe I am limp wristing.
Thanks !

I doubt it's the grip from what you're saying but here's about as good an explaination as I can give you:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Certified Glock Armorer
plouffedaddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 13:14   #16
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Or maybe that gun simply doesn't work with the Power Mag.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:12   #17
Doughnutman_923

Send a message via Yahoo to Doughnutman_923
I didn't read any other replies....but, my 1911 did the same thing. I couldn't figure out what the heck was going on. Even bought a new mag spring and it STILL did it!

Then I changed my recoil spring and it works perfect now!