Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-25-2012, 17:25   #61
SCSU74
St. Cloud Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAR View Post
Ok, well, seeing as how you mention Afghanistan, I'll shed a little more light. A few years ago, our Department learned that intel had been recovered in AFPAK outlining detailed attack plans on US soil. Our city was featured prominently and was considered a primary target of opportunity by Al Qaeda. When the Mumbai attacks happened, the powers to be on our Department determined that we had to somehow prepare for the eventuality of such an attack within our own city. So while it may sound farfetched to you, it doesn't when put into context. How much armor and how many rounds do you need to go up against a trained group of terrorists with a willingness to die? So we ramped up training, and issued rifles and armor. Just so you know, the armor I have was issued to me. I didn't just go out and buy it at the mall ninja store. As far as loadout, our policy dictates how much I have to carry. For so many years, officers complained about being outgunned on the streets. I have absolutely no complaints that the pendulum is swinging the other way. It's just too bad it took 4,000+ innocent civilians dying before people started to wake up and smell the coffee.

v/r
man that'd be awesome to be issued armor, mine, along with the majority of officers at our dept purchased ours out of pocket
Old 08-25-2012, 18:24   #62
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

I'm relegated to buying stuff at the mall ninja store since my department issues the initial duty belt, G22 and bare accessories. Nothing more.

Mjkeat, one of our members here was involved in a 15-30 minute firefight on a city street next to a university against an adversary armed with a 7.62 scoped rifle who had already killed a cop and citizen prior to his arrival and prior to his taking shrapnel himself.

From what I know they either shot up or damn near shot up all the ammo on hand before they killed the BG.

It ain't A-stan but it still sucks.
Old 08-25-2012, 19:08   #63
SAR
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSU74 View Post
man that'd be awesome to be issued armor, mine, along with the majority of officers at our dept purchased ours out of pocket
Just to be perfectly honest here, not all of our guys get issued armor. Mostly it is based on need. Of course all of our SWAT guys get it, but also gang guys, fugitive detail guys- mostly officers who do a lot of high risk entries and such. A good portion of officers do end up purchasing their own armor. I consider myself lucky to have gotten one and don't ever take it for granted.
Old 08-25-2012, 19:27   #64
mjkeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese View Post
I'm relegated to buying stuff at the mall ninja store since my department issues the initial duty belt, G22 and bare accessories. Nothing more.

Mjkeat, one of our members here was involved in a 15-30 minute firefight on a city street next to a university against an adversary armed with a 7.62 scoped rifle who had already killed a cop and citizen prior to his arrival and prior to his taking shrapnel himself.

From what I know they either shot up or damn near shot up all the ammo on hand before they killed the BG.

It ain't A-stan but it still sucks.
I think it would suck even more.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
mjkeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:42   #65
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

Both have pluses and minuses for sure.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:58   #66
mntrpr

Quote:
Early on in my career, in 1980, I was involved in a bank robbery/pursuit where a Deputy was killed, numerous Deputies and Officers were shot, a helicopter was shot down, and several thousands of rounds of ammunition were fired. Then fast forward to 1997, and deja vu all over again. Again my agency was involved in a band robbery where several thousand rounds were fired, and numerous officers and bystanders were shot. In 1999, again, my agency was involved with an active shooter who shot numerous people at a Jewish Synagogue. And intertwined in those high profile events have been several hundred shootings my agency has been involved in, not with thousands of rounds fired, but many in the hundreds. I was personally present at approximately 20 of them. The last being on December 9, 2012. During that time, I have fired my weapon on duty approximately 12 times, and been shot once. So you're asking me why I carry 12 30 round magazines?
mntrpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:07   #67
lndshark

:hero:

Was that Norco, SAR?

(I was 11 y/o)...ha ha...

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Old 08-26-2012, 10:36   #68
SAR
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lndshark View Post
:hero:

Was that Norco, SAR?

(I was 11 y/o)...ha ha...

Yes. I'm surprised you remembered. I was working for a police agency in Riverside County at the time. Had just cleared the station for the swing shift and was standing in the parking lot of Winchell's Donuts-- haha, go figure, when we got an all units message to respond back to the station immediately. Didn't know what it was all about because something like that never happened before. We were all told to go into the roll call room. An ashen faced watch commander then announced that a bank robbery had happened in Norco. There were known to be shots fired and that contact had been lost with numerous officers, and they were presumed dead or seriously injured. The watch commander told us to mount up with all the ammunition we could muster up. Some of the guys retrieved rifles. We loaded up our trunks and went out. In this pursuit, and apprehension, one deputy (James Evans) was killed, and nine officers were seriously injured. Thirty police vehicles were damaged, and one helicopter (SBSO 40-King) was shot down. Thousands of rounds or fire were exchanged. Didn't get home until a day a half later.

I later went to Riverside Sheriff's Deputy James Evan's funeral. It was the first one I had ever been to in my career. I would go on to work with about half a dozen guys who were injured or were in the thick of this incident. We'd rarely talk about it, though. Most if not all of the guys eventually retired. I was probably one of the youngest with barely a few months on the job. I later transferred to a larger agency out West, but never forgot what happaned that day. This incident, more than any other probably changed the way I think to this day about personal preparation.
Old 08-26-2012, 16:24   #69
Schaffer

I'd rather have it and not need it....

Id love to be able to patrol with a LBV with 3-5 extra rifle mags and 3-5 extra pistol mags. I could take some weight off my belt too. It really only takes one time to need what you don't have to realize you need it. I could go the rest of my career and never fire my firearm or I could god forbid get into a shoot out tonight.

Of course the powers that be think I'd scare the criminals with that kind of gear.

Last edited by Schaffer; 08-26-2012 at 16:25..
Schaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 17:16   #70
lndshark

I was born/raised in Manhattan Beach, but I have a cousin that was with RSO (ret.) and later went on to work at the contract Moreno Valley Police Department. I don't think he was working at the time of the incident but I recall the when it happened.

Fast forward (too many) years and I'm working for a city of about 8.000 surrounded by corn fields and farms. Many colleagues figure it will "never happen" here. I've spent oodles of my own cash for additional ammo and pistol magazines for a department-owned gun that I don't even like. I carry duty ammo in personally-owned rifle magazines for their gun too.

Nothing special in my kit. Three pistol magazines, two, 20-rd. P-Mags, a bottle of water, ear plugs, safety glasses, CR123 batteries and a spare pair of patrol gloves in a cheap Harbor Freight Tools canvas tote bag that's clipped to my patrol bag with a carabiner. Vest in the trunk, provided by the department (one-size fits all, right?).
Old 08-26-2012, 21:33   #71
CW Mock

Quote:
Early on in my career, in 1980, I was involved in a bank robbery/pursuit where a Deputy was killed, numerous Deputies and Officers were shot, a helicopter was shot down, and several thousands of rounds of ammunition were fired. Then fast forward to 1997, and deja vu all over again. Again my agency was involved in a band robbery where several thousand rounds were fired, and numerous officers and bystanders were shot. In 1999, again, my agency was involved with an active shooter who shot numerous people at a Jewish Synagogue. And intertwined in those high profile events have been several hundred shootings my agency has been involved in, not with thousands of rounds fired, but many in the hundreds. I was personally present at approximately 20 of them. The last being on December 9, 2012. During that time, I have fired my weapon on duty approximately 12 times, and been shot once. So you're asking me why I carry 12 30 round magazines?
That's some serious street creds sir.

Me, I carry 12 mags because I worry about something just like this kinda thing. Only in my area, it's going to be just me and a few other guys (if I'm lucky) to deal with it.

Aaaand, inevitably it will happen, and the joker with me will only have his 90 rounds with him, and need some of mine too.

CW Mock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 00:51   #72
Spydermonkey
in ur rearview

Quote:
I hear ya. The problem is storage and logistics of moving it in and out of my assigned car without a boss seeing it.
I use one of the rubbermaid 8gal actionpacker totes to haul my stuff from office to car. If you don't have the convenience of a secure office you could toss it in your POV after shift.

I use mine to hold a plate carrier, a chest rig, extra ammo, water, anything that doesn't fit in my patrol bag. I share a car too and found this to be the easiest way to lug my junk around w/o leaving it in the car for others to pilfer. Theres even a spot on each handle for a padlock if you have some real problem coworkers that need that extra bit to keep them out.

Cop Talk

Last edited by Spydermonkey; 08-27-2012 at 00:52..
Spydermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:25   #73
ryanm

Quote:
Here's what I have on hand. Scalable of course to fit the situation. At the very minimum, I have two extra handgun magazines on my sam browne. If I need to deploy my rifle, the minimum load out to go with the rifle is a thigh rig with four extra 30 round magazines. If it starts to go sideways, my tac vest has three more 30 round M4 magazines, and two extra handgun magazines. If it gets worse, I have five more 30 rounders and a couple more handgun magazines that I can deploy.

Cop Talk
That is nice! Who makes that one? I can't quite make out the logo.
ryanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:59   #74
SPDSNYPR
Zippy's Friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanm View Post
That is nice! Who makes that one? I can't quite make out the logo.
Protech
Old 09-10-2012, 20:47   #75
GumbyDammit
Xtra CoCheese

Quote:
I hear ya. The problem is storage and logistics of moving it in and out of my assigned car without a boss seeing it.
Hey Cheesy, I've got your solution right here! I've been looking for a violin case for a long time that would fit this but haven't had any luck. Tonight I ran across this gem at the music store with my kids. Heavily padded (I'll probably cut a piece of foam for fit) and a nice pouch on the outside for mags

"Sir? What's this? Oh, just my rig for playing songs with the hippies in the park on my break. Great for community relations sir."

Cop Talk

Cop Talk
The other night there was a loud argument in the hall outside my apartment while I was trying to sleep. I went out and told them they better leave or I was gonna use some Kung-Fu... THAT scared them off...

Plus I was totally nekkid and holding a gun.
GumbyDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 21:46   #76
socalchuckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GumbyDammit View Post

Cop Talk

Cop Talk
Someones been watching Desperado too much lol
socalchuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 22:57   #77
GumbyDammit
Xtra CoCheese

I really wanted a Thompson in a violin case, but this will do.
The other night there was a loud argument in the hall outside my apartment while I was trying to sleep. I went out and told them they better leave or I was gonna use some Kung-Fu... THAT scared them off...

Plus I was totally nekkid and holding a gun.

Last edited by GumbyDammit; 09-11-2012 at 01:54..
GumbyDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:55   #78
kpuscg04
ACTA NON VERBA

Cochese,

Have you seen this? Costa sold out in about 5 min, but the next run is sopposed to be out soon. It should also come in black.

http://www.costaludusgear.com/index....&product_id=82

Full disclosure: being a Coastie, I am required to endorse anything Costa makes/does .
kpuscg04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:15   #79
fivestar

Several of us use these at work. Not the best, but they work. We also got them much cheaper at a local uniform shop.

http://www.511tactical.com/All-Produ...PUSH-Pack.html
fivestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:51   #80
SCSU74
St. Cloud Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpuscg04 View Post
Cochese,

Have you seen this? Costa sold out in about 5 min, but the next run is sopposed to be out soon. It should also come in black.

http://www.costaludusgear.com/index....&product_id=82

Full disclosure: being a Coastie, I am required to endorse anything Costa makes/does .
Wouldn't that be really easy to make on your own? All you need is a drop leg molle panel and 3 tacos from hsgi, although I would get rid of the pistol spots and replace with double ar tacos

Sent from my iPhone... which probably auto-corrected something wrong