SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-23-2012, 20:09   #21
RLZIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul53 View Post
Thought we decided last month that a byproduct of the tennifer treatment (arsenic) made it prohibitive to make the guns here for the US market. All go through the Tennifer treatment in Austria.

Or was that just a dream?
GLOCK no longer uses tennifer on any guns, Austria- or USA-made. The tennifer treatment causes the parkerized finish to turn out glossy black. The newer treatment, which is a nitration finish used on all current GLOCK models, causes the final parkerized finish to turn out a grey. The company stopped using the tennifer process because of the byproduct, of course. I have heard that it was changed in order for guns to be made in the USA (this was via my Armorer class; I haven't confirmed this elsewhere), though the process was changed across the board.
RLZIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:14   #22
n0leafcl0ver

i need one of these U.S built ones and am willing to pay. let me know if u wanna sell..
n0leafcl0ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:22   #23
silversport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLZIII View Post
GLOCK no longer uses tennifer on any guns, Austria- or USA-made. The tennifer treatment causes the parkerized finish to turn out glossy black. The newer treatment, which is a nitration finish used on all current GLOCK models, causes the final parkerized finish to turn out a grey. The company stopped using the tennifer process because of the byproduct, of course. I have heard that it was changed in order for guns to be made in the USA (this was via my Armorer class; I haven't confirmed this elsewhere), though the process was changed across the board.
how would you explain the original Tenifer and parkerized looking finish then???...I don't believe the Tenifer had much effect on the look of the completed pistol...GLOCK has had dull gray, shiny black, dull black and somewhere in the middle between shiny and dull...some had Tenifer...they don't currently...

Bill
silversport is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:32   #24
Deputy

Quote:
They may not use tenifer in Austria and USA, but the shiny black guns ARE still being made. I have a 26 and 30 with July 2012 production dates and BOTH have the shiny black finish. Both are Gen 3 guns. The finish on Glocks comes out randomly black or grey. There is no consustency from Glock on what color finish a gun has and tenifer does not affect the external finish.
Deputy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:43   #25
M 7

Quote:
GLOCK no longer uses tennifer on any guns, Austria- or USA-made.
This completely untrue. Glock still uses Tenifer. There have been different exterior finishes over the years, but the process of hardening the steel known as Tenifer is still used in Austria in the manufacture of Glocks and here in the US, known as Melonite, also by several different manufacturers.

Quote:
The tennifer treatment causes the parkerized finish to turn out glossy black. The newer treatment, which is a nitration finish used on all current GLOCK models, causes the final parkerized finish to turn out a grey. The company stopped using the tennifer process because of the byproduct, of course.
No, they haven't.

Tenifer is the trade name given to the process of ferritic nitrocarburizing where the metal is nitrided by diffusing nitrogen into the metal's surface, a form of case-hardening.

The exterior finish has nothing to do with the Tenifer process as it is applied after nitrding and is selected by Glock to produce the finish they desire.

Quote:
I have heard that it was changed in order for guns to be made in the USA (this was via my Armorer class; I haven't confirmed this elsewhere), though the process was changed across the board.
This myth persists despite the fact that a simple call to Glock confirms that their guns are still being manufactured using the Tenifer process. I spoke with Glock less than a month ago and they made this quite clear.

Last edited by M 7; 08-24-2012 at 07:44..
M 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:47   #26
Deputy

M7: So can we assume they are using a different FORMULATION of tenifer to avoild the cyanide problem? I know S&W is using Melonite on some of their guns...same thing as Tenifer.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:56   #27
M 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputy View Post
M7: So can we assume they are using a different FORMULATION of tenifer to avoild the cyanide problem? I know S&W is using Melonite on some of their guns...same thing as Tenifer.
Deputy,

I suppose that there may be subtle differences in the process chemistry, but the folks that I spoke with a few weeks ago at Glock were less than forthcoming about such specifics, proprietary and all that. Believe me, I asked, but they weren't saying more than what I've already repeated here.

Either way, it's all about producing passivation (oxidation resistance) and getting a good "skin" hardness. The process doesn't effect the coating you lay over it, especially stuff like the CeraKote-like finish they used just a few years ago. The park is a chemical reaction on the steel's surface, just like rust, so there may be more variation, but it comes from the variation in chemicals used to produce the park itself, but probably not the underlaying nitro-passivated treatment.

Last edited by M 7; 08-24-2012 at 10:58..
Old 08-24-2012, 11:28   #28
iflyem1

Glock slides are made in Austria and the gun is assembled in the US. What does the EPA have to do with a foreign countries tenifer process? They can't regulate a foreign countries Tenifer process!

This Tenifer, Melonite has been beat to hell in my opinion. In the US they call it Melonite and overseas they call it Tenifer. Same basic thing.
iflyem1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:01   #29
Deputy

M7: Check the link I posted in post 18. Lots of details there.
iflyem1: I haven't found the proof, but I am pretty sure tenifer is also illegal in Austria.
Old 08-24-2012, 13:04   #30
RLZIII

My GLOCK Armorer course that I took only a few months ago is where I got my information, which I have no reason to believe is incorrect. I haven't called GLOCK about this myself because I heard it from my instructor, Mr. Greene, in person.

Again, reiterating what I was told, GLOCK no longer uses the original Tenifer process. Remember that names like Tenifer and Melonite are just trademarked (think "brand names") names for slight variations in the nitration process. The trademarked Tenifer process causes harmful gases as a byproduct. GLOCK has since created their own nitration process that is just a good as Tenifer, but doesn't have negative byproducts. This new process is used in Austria and the United States. Again, I'm not sure if the Tenifer process is "banned" in Austria, but I do know that in the United States it doesn't pass regulation. I have heard of the "glossy black" guns still hitting shelves with recent test dates; I'm not sure if GLOCK is still fully transitioning from Tenifer to the new nitration process, which may cause this.

I understand that the parkerizing process is added afterwards and isn't related to the nitration process. From what I was told in the same Armorer Course, the way the nitration process is done is somehow effecting the end result with the parkerizing. I'm unfortunately don't have a lot of details on this process, as Mr. Greene didn't have all of the details. I'm not sure if it has to do with a cooling process or whatnot (a pure guess). But he assured the class that the parkerized finish wasn't changed; however, the end result is different because of the different nitration process. Maybe someone with more knowledge on this can chime in to explain.
Old 08-24-2012, 13:51   #31
Deputy

Well I'm quite happy to have glossy black guns. I think they look pretty cool.
Old 08-24-2012, 15:25   #32
M 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputy View Post
M7: Check the link I posted in post 18. Lots of details there.
Interesting link.

Much of what was there, I've heard/seen before. Some of it was new to me.

The last paragraph of the article, while hardly authoritative, says-

GLOCK's tough finish has changed its appearance over the years. Here you see the original dull oxide look. This finish can wear and scratch off with no harm to the tenifer under it. Later models are shinier and the glossy prep does not wear off as easily.

The underlined portion confirms, or least agrees with, what I was told by Glock personnel. The surface you see on the slide is a separate finish applied over the nitrocarbed substrate- two parts, the processed substrate and a secondary finish. As to how the chemistry of the two has evolved and interacts and the effect that it has on the final aesthetic is something that only Glock can tell us. I am happy with mine as they are (they all have the hard, shiny appearance that reminds me most of the cooking surface of a Teflon coated frying pan) and I will look at the finish now with a renewed respect after all of the research that I have done.

Thanks for the link, Deputy.

Last edited by M 7; 08-24-2012 at 15:26..
Old 08-24-2012, 17:25   #33
Deputy

You're welcome M7. And thnks for your info.
Old 08-25-2012, 07:52   #34
mongo356

I have not noticed any difference in corrosion protection yet.

I will say though that use to you could read about tenifer on Glocks literature and website....lately they still talk about corrosion resistance but tenifer isn't mentioned anymore.

I still enjoy them the same. Throughout the years i have carried/holstered most of the different types treatmented models and finishes they have all worked well for me so far.
mongo356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 15:37   #35
gcherry
Glock Armorer

The USA Glocks are sold to countries that do not have trade agreements with Austria. This info came from a Glock Armorer's course this past February.
gcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 19:48   #36
ghostrider88

must have looked at several hundred today no USA in greensboro
ghostrider88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 20:02   #37
bustedknee
Curmudgeon

Old 08-26-2012, 21:42   #38
Deputy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcherry View Post
The USA Glocks are sold to countries that do not have trade agreements with Austria. This info came from a Glock Armorer's course this past February.
I'd still like to get my hands on one. And it seems some USA residetns HAVE gotten their hands on them.
Old 08-29-2012, 18:54   #39
RLZIII

With the increase in number of USA-made GLOCKs that are being found in the United States, I went ahead and sent an email to Joel Hodges, GLOCK's District Manager for Florida. His reply:

"We have been shipping limited quanties over the past 6 weeks.
It will say made in the USA on the frame and have USA on the slide under the logo where Austria is now."

So it seems as though GLOCK is actually selling USA-made GLOCKs in the United States now. There have been other reports in parts of the forum where people are claiming that GLOCK, Inc. has actually sent them a USA-made GLOCK as a replacement gun. I'd assume that production will slowly grow.

A follow up email I sent asking which models were being made in the USA garnered a simple "Numerous models as I understand." So maybe someone with a bit more information could expand on that part.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:51   #40
Deputy

Imagine getting an OD or FDE pistol made in USA. Talk about rare!

Last edited by Deputy; 08-30-2012 at 07:51..