SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-02-2012, 08:14   #61
Agentk98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputy View Post
Heh...insteresting question. Have to find a Glock Forum in the Phillipines to find out. That is one of the locations where US-made Glocks are being sold.
300 rounds through my USA Gen3 G17. I've had 3 ejections to my forehead and a couple back at my arm. I took the slide apart and gave it a thorough cleaning today. (Dipped extractor, 336 ejector.) Not expecting it will make a difference but I'll have fun testing anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
General Glocking - Click for larger version  

Last edited by Agentk98; 09-02-2012 at 08:57.. Reason: Fixed pic attachment
Agentk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:25   #62
Deputy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
What proof is there that Glocks are no longer Tenifered?
Actually, none. And tenifer, also knowm as Melonite, is still being used by S&W. Yeah, I want a freaking lab test PROVING Glock isn't using tenifer. Word of mouth from press agents isn't gonna cut it.

Last edited by Deputy; 09-02-2012 at 08:25..
Deputy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:02   #63
DPris

There was never any proof that Glock was using Tennifer in the first place, beyond their word, by your definition of proof.

If you believe websites over people directly involved with Glock, your choice.
You'd asked, you'd speculated, and when you got the truth from official Glock channels, you rejected it.
Why bother to participate in the discussion at all?
Denis
DPris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 20:06   #64
Deputy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPris View Post
There was never any proof that Glock was using Tennifer in the first place, beyond their word, by your definition of proof.

If you believe websites over people directly involved with Glock, your choice.
You'd asked, you'd speculated, and when you got the truth from official Glock channels, you rejected it.
Why bother to participate in the discussion at all?
Denis
General Glocking
Old 09-03-2012, 10:43   #65
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Well the link I provided has info on Gen 4 guns, so it's not THAT out-of-date.

I'll trust the website before I trust hearsay info.
Hey D, what's the story with that rusty Glock pic?
Old 09-03-2012, 11:41   #66
DPris

SC,
If you're agreeing with Deputy, I'll make one final comment regarding the "hearsay" term.

In over two decades of doing what I do, it's been & it remains necessary to communicate with makers of the products I write about.

Companys handle this process in different ways. Most will have designated reps inside the organization that deal with the press.
Others will hire a PR agency to interface between the maker and the press.

The PR agency will take care of getting out announcements on what the company's doing, help arrange for product samples, and answer questions relating to those products as needed.

Glock is now using an agency for these purposes, as is Colt, among others.
With agency involvement, when I want a product for T&E, I put in my request for a test sample, it's handled by the account guy, and followup questions relative to the product are addressed to, and answered by, that account guy.

These people are fully supported by the companies that hire their agencies, and if they don't already know the answers to my questions they get with the appropriate person inside the company to get the correct info to relay back to me.

In doing so, what they tell me is not "hearsay", it's company-supported, company-sourced, and company-approved information.
In other words, the account people are functioning as direct speakers for the company that hires them.
Facilitating a flow of information between the maker and the writer who'll be writing up a given product is the agency's sole purpose. It's what they're hired to do- get the word out.

It's not hearsay, by one lone guy making things up as he goes along.
In Glock's case, the ad agency is in a double bind. If they put out bad info that makes it into print, they'll draw the wrath of the company & its owner on one side, and they'll draw the wrath of the writer on the other side, as well as losing credibility within the publishing field.

Glock would not take kindly to mis-information being disseminated by their paid rep, and I do not enjoy printing erroneous material on any product.
Both the maker & the writer HAVE to depend on the designated rep for accuracy, and if it doesn't happen, that agency simply will not be representing the maker any longer.

If an ad executive passes on erroneous info about Glock products, particularly about manufacturing processes, it'd be his job.
The reason it took weeks to get my response on the question was the ad contact running it through Glock channels for accuracy and approval, which does take time, before he'd risk his job answering me.

This agency relationship as an official speaker for the company is not unique to Glock, I run across it here & there.
When Glock hires a communication firm to communicate, and that firm speaks FOR Glock, it is not hearsay.

I had not intended to respond to Deputy any further, he obviously has his mind made up.
Since you continued the thread with what appears to be your own agreement on "hearsay", I've made this last contribution to the thread.

If you don't want to believe, for some reason, fine.
There were questions and speculation on the issue, and its been answered by two of us who know.
In my case, through official Glock channels. No hearsay involved.
And with that, done.
Denis
Old 09-03-2012, 15:57   #67
Deputy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
Hey D, what's the story with that rusty Glock pic?
According to the link..."This last note probably explains the well-reported rust problems that Smith and Wesson M&P have had with slide corrosion. GLOCKs also have infrequent rust issues. The discussion on this Metal Finishing forum educates us to the fact that even the exact same finishing process is going to vary according to the details of the particular process. So inconsistancies even within one manufacturer should not be surprising."

So my best guess is the finish on that rusty Glock was improperly applied. I know there have been some S&W M&P pistols that have rusted after having Melonite applied, but that was because the tenifer reacts badly with stainless steel slide.

Here is some more info from that website:

"So there is my official scoop on Tenifer. It is an awesome finish. It is one of the best. It is not perfect, but carefully done, it can be close. GLOCK did not invent it, nor was it the first to use it. GLOCK may have been the first to use it on a firearm, though. The process is not secret, although they’d like to keep it mysterious. Other firearms companies use it, but apparently the cheaper version or inappropriately (on stainless steel, for example). In the past, it may have been prohibited by the US EPA, but now it is commonly applied in the US, even in Southern California, no less."

And the date of the article is April 13, 2012.

Last edited by Deputy; 09-06-2012 at 12:21..
Old 09-06-2012, 10:49   #68
DPris

One last (really ) post on this.
Was done with it, but thought I'd see what Glock's response to the question would be using that website which seems to be the only source some posters will recognize as being valid. Tried an email direct to Glock through their US website a couple days ago, a route & process that anybody can use. Asked when Glock had dropped the process entirely, here AND abroad.
The answer just came in:

"Glock stopped using the tenifer process in mid 2010.
We now use a gas nitride process, same result using a different process.
Good day."
Emma Capucci, On Behalf Of TeamGlock

And with that, I'm outa this one.
Denis
Old 09-06-2012, 12:47   #69
Deputy

Evidently the way to tell the new, non-tenifer finish from the tenifer finish is the color. And before someone states the obvious, yes, I know that tenifer doesn't affect color. But the new guns AREN'T tenifer. The new guns are Gas Nitride treated.
Supposedly, and I can't confirm this, they are the "grey" finish guns that you see. The "shiny black" guns are the ones that were stil tenifered on the slide. I have four Gen 3 guns and one of them is a 2010 all shiny black temifer. The new production guns are all grey. I hope the new style coating will be as durable as tenifer.

Last edited by Deputy; 09-06-2012 at 12:48..
Old 09-07-2012, 09:26   #70
Glock23Man
Big Member

You really don't understand what Tenifer is, do you? Tenifer is a treatment, not a finish. The color of the slide has nothing to do with whether or not it has gone through the Tenifer process or not. The finish is applied after the slides are "Tenifered." And over the years, Glock have had many different finishes applied over the treated metal, from Parkerizing to Teflon/Ceramic finishes.

Quote:
Evidently the way to tell the new, non-tenifer finish from the tenifer finish is the color. And before someone states the obvious, yes, I know that tenifer doesn't affect color. But the new guns AREN'T tenifer. The new guns are Gas Nitride treated.
Supposedly, and I can't confirm this, they are the "grey" finish guns that you see. The "shiny black" guns are the ones that were stil tenifered on the slide. I have four Gen 3 guns and one of them is a 2010 all shiny black temifer. The new production guns are all grey. I hope the new style coating will be as durable as tenifer.

Last edited by Glock23Man; 09-07-2012 at 09:27..
Glock23Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 13:04   #71
Deputy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock23Man View Post
You really don't understand what Tenifer is, do you? Tenifer is a treatment, not a finish. The color of the slide has nothing to do with whether or not it has gone through the Tenifer process or not. The finish is applied after the slides are "Tenifered." And over the years, Glock have had many different finishes applied over the treated metal, from Parkerizing to Teflon/Ceramic finishes.
Geez...I thought my line "And before someone states the obvious, yes, I know that tenifer doesn't affect color. But the new guns AREN'T tenifer. The new guns are Gas Nitride treated" would have covered this. I KNOW tenifer is a metal treatment and that it doesn't AFFECT the color of the slide.
I was simpy stating that CURRENT guns that DON'T have the tenifer finish are colored grey. NOT that tenifer affected the color. Cripes some people just insist on flaunting their "knowledge", even when it is unecessary. Simply put, if you have a GREY Glock, it does NOT have a tenifer treatment. That's ALL I was saying.
Old 09-07-2012, 13:13   #72
Glock23Man
Big Member

Sorry. Since you kept saying "Tenifer finish," I assumed you meant finish.

It'd be interesting to know exactly when Glock stopped doing the Tenifer treatment, because both of mine are glossy black, but recently made. Maybe they stopped the Tenifer before they changed the slide finish.

Quote:
Geez...I thought my line "And before someone states the obvious, yes, I know that tenifer doesn't affect color. But the new guns AREN'T tenifer. The new guns are Gas Nitride treated" would have covered this. I KNOW tenifer is a metal treatment and that it doesn't AFFECT the color of the slide.
I was simpy stating that CURRENT guns that DON'T have the tenifer finish are colored grey. NOT that tenifer affected the color. Cripes some people just insist on flaunting their "knowledge", even when it is unecessary. Simply put, if you have a GREY Glock, it does NOT have a tenifer treatment. That's ALL I was saying.
Glock23Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 17:27   #73
bustedknee
Curmudgeon

Oooooooooooo! My ears!

I don't care what they call it, as long as it works and it does.

Don't ya just love the Red, White and Blue?

General Glocking
Old 09-07-2012, 17:35   #74
DannyR

According to two different instructors, GLOCK employees, that teach the armorer's class, GLOCK no longer uses the tenifer process. I was told this in both March and May of this year. Take it or leave it, but don't fight over it.
Bull Dawg #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
DannyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 15:02   #75
glockpeter

mah ! dont like
Old 10-14-2012, 10:01   #76
tango44

tagged.
tango44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 21:03   #77
Jmaxaner

I have one NIB G19 Gen3 made in the USA if anyone is interested please contact me :D
Thanks
Jeremy
Jmaxaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 21:26   #78
Jmaxaner

USA Glock

I have one NIB never fired paperwork is still sealed etc.. G19 Gen3 made in the USA that I am looking to possibly sell if anyone is interested please contact me :D
Thanks
Jeremy

I have decided to keep it for now :D

Last edited by Jmaxaner; 11-19-2012 at 22:23..
Old 11-13-2012, 01:07   #79
TommyOC

My new Gen3 G17 that I got in CA is made in the USA as well is this still rare? or are they pretty common now?

Last edited by TommyOC; 11-13-2012 at 01:17..
TommyOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:24   #80
Jmaxaner

As far as I know they are still pretty rare.. I talked to all the gun shops around were I live and their entire inventory is all Austria ones..