Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-25-2012, 06:22   #1
TLHelmer

Considering a G-29 for off duty carry

I am trying to decide between the Gen 4 Glock 29 and the gen 4 Glock Glock 30.

The advantages of the 10 mm are obvious. Large caliber with great ballistics.

The advantages of the .45 are that it is a larger caliber with not quite as good ballistics as the 10 mm, but a proven man stopper anyway. The other advantage is that the mags from our soon to be duty weapon (G21) will fit in the G 30.

I have been reviewing ammo test results on Youtube and the 10 mm out of the G 29 are very impressive. The 10 mm expansion out of a G29 seem to be more reliable that the expansion tests out of the G 30.

What are your thoughts on the matter?
TLHelmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:11   #2
alwaysshootin

I now carry a 3rd Gen 29, after much deliberation, have concluded, for me, it is the "Best" carry weapon. For all scenarios, that I can imagine, there is no other firearm, that is better, in any area.

That being said, if I were in your position, feel the G30, to be the logical choice, because of your duty weapon being the G21. The G30 was second on my list, and I carried one for four years. If perhaps, my opinion, was that of most others, the 30 would still be my carry firearm. But, I'm a huge fan of the 10. Eventually, my backup will also be a 10MM!
Old 08-25-2012, 08:36   #3
4949shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLHelmer View Post

The advantages of the .45 are that it is a larger caliber with not quite as good ballistics as the 10 mm, but a proven man stopper anyway. The other advantage is that the mags from our soon to be duty weapon (G21) will fit in the G 30.

I have been reviewing ammo test results on Youtube and the 10 mm out of the G 29 are very impressive. The 10 mm expansion out of a G29 seem to be more reliable that the expansion tests out of the G 30.

Wow you guys are going to the G21? Excellent!

I wish I could say the same.

Edit: To answer the question, I say get the G30 due to ammo / magazine compatibility. Then get a G29 if you still want one later on.

Good luck!

Last edited by 4949shooter; 08-25-2012 at 09:26..
4949shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:49   #4
TomAiello

If G21 is your duty weapon, I'd go with the G30.

That said, I think the G29 is probably the most versatile handgun on the market today, and everyone should own at least one.
TomAiello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:38   #5
Rigormootis
Semper Gumby

If I were you, I'd get the G30 and a SL 10mm conversion barrel for when you want to run 10mm.

Last edited by Rigormootis; 08-25-2012 at 11:40..
Rigormootis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:15   #6
dm1906
Retired SO

It sounds like you answered your own question. Duty is duty, on or off. Keep it simple, and eliminate/prevent mishaps at every opportunity. The G21 mag will fit the G29. Consider a situation when you may become disabled, and another officer takes your weapon and stuffs his G21 mag into it. It's happened. And, purposely carrying a weapon (or ammunition) you do not formally train with is always a bad idea.

ALWAYS separate duty from recreation. If you want a 10mm, that's fine and you should have one. BUT, don't mix it in with "duty". Also, you should check with your dept's weapon policy. Many/most departments require off duty carry weapons meet the same criteria as on duty. If 10mm weapons aren't allowed for on duty carry, they may not be allowed for off duty. Most department weapons policies are simple. If you are doing something not defined by the policy, even though it may not be disallowed, it can create serious issues when it hits the fan.
Old 08-25-2012, 15:21   #7
JuneyBooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLHelmer View Post

I would just check with your legal department and see what they say. The 10mm is excellent for ballistics but you don't need the trouble if legal says it is not good. In some areas the county/city will indemnify all action s but in other areas they are really jerks even to their leo. The problem with too much expansion is that they fail to penetrate so you do have to have the velocity of the rounds to be high in the winter climates.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Cool songs:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Cool car:
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 18:57   #8
Kegs
Ol 8 fingers ;)

Get the 30 and the 10 conversion bbl (lone wolf or KKM, etc.). as mentioned above for shooting hot 10mm rounds (& a 29 mag or two)

If I was gonna do it over again, this is what I would do.
Old 08-25-2012, 19:42   #9
jbglock

For you G30 makes the most sense. If you are buddies with the man that controls the ammo supply you can easily keep carry ammo for it also.

That said my duty weapon is a 17 yet my off duty is a 23C. That is because I have seen how ineffective our duty load is though. If I had a 21 as my duty weapon I would have automatically started testing Glocks in 45ACP with the hope of finding one that I liked so I could have some free ammo for it.
jbglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 21:06   #10
TLHelmer

That is a pretty strong consensus. Thanks for your replies!
TLHelmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 22:59   #11
alwaysshootin

I never want to talk another out of purchasing a G29, or G20, IMHO, they are the best Glock models. Your situation is different. If my go to pistol were a G21, you have ammo, and magazines available for the G30, which makes the decision simple!

Will also add, the option of picking up a conversion barrel is also a choice with the G30, but, also would like to add, the fact that you are mentioning, an interest, in a G29, means, eventually, you will have to pick one up.
Old 08-25-2012, 23:56   #12
MSgt Dotson

For off-duty carry, I would never advocate any sort of conversion bbl in a Glock 30 as a few have suggested. Breechface/optimal extractor bite for the Glock 30 is designed for .45 ACP ammo, not the smaller 10mm cases.

I'd simply choose the Glock 30 in the scenario presented.
MSgt Dotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 00:41   #13
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

i vote for the G29.

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:00   #14
swinokur

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSgt Dotson View Post
For off-duty carry, I would never advocate any sort of conversion bbl in a Glock 30 as a few have suggested. Breechface/optimal extractor bite for the Glock 30 is designed for .45 ACP ammo, not the smaller 10mm cases.

I'd simply choose the Glock 30 in the scenario presented.
^^^^This.

There have been some reliability issues for the conversion barrels because of differences in the extractor claw between the 10mm and 45ACP. No way I'd use this in a EDC firearm.

The guy who owns KKM can fill you in.

Last edited by swinokur; 08-26-2012 at 07:00..
swinokur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:11   #15
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomAiello View Post
If G21 is your duty weapon, I'd go with the G30.

bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:29   #16
pitdog02

I vote 29
The 10 Ring
Old 08-27-2012, 07:08   #17
alwaysshootin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitdog02 View Post
I vote 29
The 10 Ring
With a G29 that looks like that, your vote is understandable! That being said, the firearm, that is with TLHelmer, every day, for hours, is a G21! A g30 makes the most sense!