GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2012, 08:13   #1
Altaris
Senior Member
 
Altaris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Round Rock, TX
Posts: 12,467
Christian woman suing Burger King for not letting her wear a skirt.

Can I make up a religion too....claim it says I have to wear shorts and a tshirt at all times and then claim religious discrimination when people don't let me?


http://shine.yahoo.com/work-money/ch...175600700.html
__________________
To Alcohol !
The cause of, and solution to, all of lifes problems
-Homer Simpson-
Altaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:30   #2
steveksux
Massive Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 15,593
Not a lawyer, but I see no reason allowing her to wear a skirt would not be considered a reasonable accommodation for her religious beliefs.

She should win the suit.

Randy
steveksux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:46   #3
Altaris
Senior Member
 
Altaris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Round Rock, TX
Posts: 12,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveksux View Post
Not a lawyer, but I see no reason allowing her to wear a skirt would not be considered a reasonable accommodation for her religious beliefs.

She should win the suit.

Randy
So every random employee should be able to dictate to the employer what their dress code should be?
__________________
To Alcohol !
The cause of, and solution to, all of lifes problems
-Homer Simpson-
Altaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:59   #4
NMG26
Senior Member
 
NMG26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NM
Posts: 5,818
Deuteronomy 22:5 specifically states: "The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the Lord thy God."




.
__________________
inalienable

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by NMG26; 08-25-2012 at 08:59..
NMG26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:02   #5
AlexHassin
Senior Member
 
AlexHassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMG26 View Post
Deuteronomy 22:5 specifically states: "The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the Lord thy God."




.

considering that male and female cloths very across culture and time this one must get confuseing. it is your cultures male and female dress or is it western, or is it biblical israli or roman dress?
AlexHassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:25   #6
steveksux
Massive Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 15,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altaris View Post
So every random employee should be able to dictate to the employer what their dress code should be?
What's unreasonable about women wearing a skirt?

Assless chaps would be a different issue.

You think employers should be able to ban yarmulkes too?

Randy

Last edited by steveksux; 08-25-2012 at 09:27..
steveksux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:27   #7
High-Gear
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Kansas
Posts: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMG26 View Post
Deuteronomy 22:5 specifically states: "The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the Lord thy God."




.
It also says eating shellfish, and bacon, and wearing clothes of mixed fibers are an abomination. The bible also says she should kill her children for being disobediant. Does she take those verses literally? Or is she an a'la carte christian?
__________________
Ĉu vi parolas Esperanton?
High-Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:31   #8
Syclone538
Senior Member
 
Syclone538's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,346
The gov shouldn't force anyone to employ anyone that they don't want to.
__________________
Some people want freedom, even for those they disagree with, and some don't.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote:
...
The constitution is not, nor was it meant to be absolutely literal.
...
Syclone538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:46   #9
Altaris
Senior Member
 
Altaris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Round Rock, TX
Posts: 12,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveksux View Post
What's unreasonable about women wearing a skirt?

Assless chaps would be a different issue.

You think employers should be able to ban yarmulkes too?

Randy
If it is not part of their dress code. The employers dress code is up the employer. They shouldn't be forced to change the rules they make up for their business, because some fiction book from a few thousand years ago says something different.
__________________
To Alcohol !
The cause of, and solution to, all of lifes problems
-Homer Simpson-
Altaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:02   #10
427
 
427's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: KUMSC
Posts: 7,000
Employer dress codes are there for a reason. To have employees look uniform or safety. Would it be wise to have someone working in a machine shop wear a burka?

As someone who worked in fast food in high school, I'd rather wear the employer supplied uniform rather than ruin my own clothes.
__________________
Death twitches my ear. "Live," he says, "I am coming."
Virgil, Minor Poems

Enjoy yourself. It's later than you think.
427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:04   #11
G26S239
NRA Patron
 
G26S239's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: PRK
Posts: 10,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMG26 View Post
Deuteronomy 22:5 specifically states: "The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the Lord thy God."




.
In case it has escaped your notice women commonly wear pants in this century in the USA. http://www.oldnavy.com/products/womens-pants.jsp

This kind of crap is wrong when a ditzy muzzie wants to wear a hijab while working at Disneyland too.
__________________
Glock 17, 19, 21, 26 X 2, 32, 36 and 42.
Proud member of the PigPen. Embrace the Pignose.
G26S239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:32   #12
brokenprism
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 280
Wrong testament

Paul scolds believers for taking each other to suit and asks them "Why not rather take wrong? Why not rather be defrauded?" Granted this is an 'in-house' matter, but he also commands followers of Jesus to be content in whatever state they find themselves in, to 'obey those in authority' and to be good 'slaves' of and for Christ [this extends to the employer/employee relationship] as an example of obedience and as a statement against acts of rebellion, which is the knot we're supposed to be untying in our characters. She doesn't really have a doctrinal leg to stand on. On the other hand, she's also a citizen of this of this country and has the same right to be annoying as anyone else.
brokenprism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:05   #13
High-Gear
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Kansas
Posts: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenprism View Post
Paul scolds believers for taking each other to suit and asks them "Why not rather take wrong? Why not rather be defrauded?" Granted this is an 'in-house' matter, but he also commands followers of Jesus to be content in whatever state they find themselves in, to 'obey those in authority' and to be good 'slaves' of and for Christ [this extends to the employer/employee relationship] as an example of obedience and as a statement against acts of rebellion, which is the knot we're supposed to be untying in our characters. She doesn't really have a doctrinal leg to stand on. On the other hand, she's also a citizen of this of this country and has the same right to be annoying as anyone else.
This slave morality is what Neitzche and Ayn Rand were against. Can't say I completely disagree with them on this point.
__________________
Ĉu vi parolas Esperanton?
High-Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 13:08   #14
Woofie
CLM Number 293
Disirregardless
 
Woofie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Here
Posts: 10,240
Send a message via AIM to Woofie
Hope she wins. I also hope BK gives that store manager some training before he costs them more money.
__________________
"Turns oit i had irrisputable proof i was out of the country" youngdocglock

"I don't need to figure probabilities, and I don't need facts." JBnTx

"Maybe they should drink like Woofie and come up with pure brilliance." OXCOPS

"Woofie is the only smart one around here." Photoman642
Woofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 13:26   #15
Kingarthurhk
Isaiah 53:4-9
 
Kingarthurhk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 7,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by High-Gear View Post
It also says eating shellfish, and bacon, and wearing clothes of mixed fibers are an abomination. The bible also says she should kill her children for being disobediant. Does she take those verses literally? Or is she an a'la carte christian?
And employers shouldn't force their employees to eat bacon or shellfish either.

A skirt is a reasonable acomodation. It is modest, and she is attempting to be modest. A simple thing really.
__________________
Glock 17, 19, 20SF, 21C, 22, 26, 27, Glock E-Tool, Glock knife
Quod ego haereticus appellari sequere Jesum.

Last edited by Kingarthurhk; 08-25-2012 at 13:27..
Kingarthurhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 13:28   #16
Kingarthurhk
Isaiah 53:4-9
 
Kingarthurhk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 7,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by 427 View Post
Employer dress codes are there for a reason. To have employees look uniform or safety. Would it be wise to have someone working in a machine shop wear a burka?

As someone who worked in fast food in high school, I'd rather wear the employer supplied uniform rather than ruin my own clothes.
This is slinging burgers, a skirt used to be the uniform of the day for ladies.
__________________
Glock 17, 19, 20SF, 21C, 22, 26, 27, Glock E-Tool, Glock knife
Quod ego haereticus appellari sequere Jesum.
Kingarthurhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 14:14   #17
steveksux
Massive Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 15,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altaris View Post
If it is not part of their dress code. The employers dress code is up the employer. They shouldn't be forced to change the rules they make up for their business, because some fiction book from a few thousand years ago says something different.
Luckily you don't make the rules.

We have something called religious freedom here in the US. People have the right to believe in fiction books from thousands of years ago, and are not to be discriminated against for housing and employment when only reasonable accommodations are required to satisfy the tenets of their religious faith.

Randy
steveksux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 14:15   #18
steveksux
Massive Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 15,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by 427 View Post
Employer dress codes are there for a reason. To have employees look uniform or safety. Would it be wise to have someone working in a machine shop wear a burka?

As someone who worked in fast food in high school, I'd rather wear the employer supplied uniform rather than ruin my own clothes.
Burka in machine shop is dangerous, as is any loose fitting clothing that can get hung up in machines.

Nice try, but try to make sense next time. Is the word "reasonable", or "accommodation" tripping you up?

Randy

Last edited by steveksux; 08-25-2012 at 14:15..
steveksux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 15:30   #19
G26S239
NRA Patron
 
G26S239's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: PRK
Posts: 10,628
This http://www.facebook.com/ashanti.mcshan does not appear to mind wearing pants. I wonder just how many Ashant Mcshan's there are within 17 miles of Grand Prairie Texas?
__________________
Glock 17, 19, 21, 26 X 2, 32, 36 and 42.
Proud member of the PigPen. Embrace the Pignose.
G26S239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 15:48   #20
cs133atom
Senior Member
 
cs133atom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Old Dominion
Posts: 276
The problem with discussing Bible verses with idiots is that it is a waste of time. Actually take the time to learn before spouting ridiculous conjecture then debate may be worthwhile.
__________________
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NRA Endowment Life Member
VCDL, G.O.A., National Review - contrib.

Last edited by cs133atom; 08-25-2012 at 16:00..
cs133atom is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:46.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 673
140 Members
533 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31