Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:43   #1
ricklee4570

Springfield Range Officer

I have an opportunity to pick one up at a decent price. I currently have a Colt Rail Gun and love it. However, with the rail it is not my idea of a good carry gun.

My only concern with the R.O. is the adjustable rear sight. To those familiar with this platform, is the rear sight rugged enough to hold zero as a CCW gun?
Old 08-27-2012, 10:30   #2
Glock_en_speil

I own a Range Officer and it's a great 1911 for the money. It's not a carry gun for me so I can't comment on the rear sight holding zero however I can tell you that John Harrison produces a fixed rear sight that will work. His webstore is currently down right now as I'm posting this but that's the place to pick up the sight. It's designed to fit a Bomar cut which is what the R/O has.

You may also want to upgrade the front sight as well since it's just a plain black post. At the very least you could simply drill out a dimple and place a drop of white automotive paint in there which is what I'm planning on doing to mine. I've seen photos of R/O's with fiber optic and tritium front sights installed so I know they are available.
I love the smell of Hoppe's #9 in the morning.
Glock_en_speil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:00   #3
simotek

I also have a Range Officer. It's a great gun but in stock form it's not a good carry option. I'd want to replace the rear sight with a fixed sight. The adjustable sight is bulky and has sharp edges that will snag on everything.

It's also easy to cut your fingers on the rear sight... don't ask me how. :|
simotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 22:03   #4
bac1023

The Range Officer is one of the best 1911s under a grand.

1911 Buyer's Guide
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:06   #5
GOOFA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
The Range Officer is one of the best 1911s under a grand.
I agree, mine is superb.

1911 Forums
Old 08-28-2012, 12:18   #6
Rinspeed
JAFO

Very nice pic Greg.

You run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking, racing around to come up behind you again, the sun is the same in a relative way but you’re older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death…
Rinspeed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 17:24   #7
fusegsp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock_en_speil View Post
I own a Range Officer and it's a great 1911 for the money. It's not a carry gun for me so I can't comment on the rear sight holding zero however I can tell you that John Harrison produces a fixed rear sight that will work. His webstore is currently down right now as I'm posting this but that's the place to pick up the sight. It's designed to fit a Bomar cut which is what the R/O has.

You may also want to upgrade the front sight as well since it's just a plain black post. At the very least you could simply drill out a dimple and place a drop of white automotive paint in there which is what I'm planning on doing to mine. I've seen photos of R/O's with fiber optic and tritium front sights installed so I know they are available.
I'm new to 1911's but I was under the impression that the RO had an LPA cut. I have been looking around for aftermarket fixed sights and it's pretty slim pickings. Can anyone tell me why SA would use this cut instead of something more common? There's probably a reason. I'm just missing it.

Last edited by fusegsp; 08-30-2012 at 17:38..
fusegsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 19:25   #8
Rinspeed
JAFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusegsp View Post
I have been looking around for aftermarket fixed sights and it's pretty slim pickings. Can anyone tell me why SA would use this cut instead of something more common?

That's the $100k question, why the hell SA wouldn't just throw a fixed sight on the RO as an option. Don't wish too hard though as it might turn into a $900 pistol. I assume you've seen the Harrison sight, it comes very well recommended.

You run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking, racing around to come up behind you again, the sun is the same in a relative way but you’re older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death…
Rinspeed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 20:16   #9
fusegsp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinspeed View Post
That's the $100k question, why the hell SA wouldn't just throw a fixed sight on the RO as an option. Don't wish too hard though as it might turn into a $900 pistol. I assume you've seen the Harrison sight, it comes very well recommended.
Exactly. I've thought about a few tweaks to the RO, but that puts you into TRP territory pretty quick. I guess I'll just have to buy another 1911 to go with the RO. I'm learning the devious tricks you 1911 guys use to justify another one.
fusegsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 21:14   #10
Glock_en_speil

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusegsp View Post
I'm new to 1911's but I was under the impression that the RO had an LPA cut.
I stand corrected. It's a Bomar style sight with an LPA cut. John Harrison's webstore seems to be back online now. Here's the link I wanted to post:

http://shop.harrisoncustom.com/c/64/...tritium-models
I love the smell of Hoppe's #9 in the morning.
Glock_en_speil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:46   #11
okie
GT Mayor

I have the RO also, but I put XS big dot sights on straight away
1911 Forums
okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 23:50   #12
Disregarded9-side
Armchair IPSCer

I also considered the RO because I felt the options and price were right, then I discovered the Loaded is a better option for carry/social purposes when you consider all the options it has. I think these also make it a better practical gun. Comes with 3-dots (on generation-correct cuts). I'm adding a GI recoil spring set up and a mag-well and calling it done--everything else on the gun shoots perfectly (except when it has to be repaired by SA...)

I got my Springfield Loaded for $801 at a LGS, I know they can get more. PM me if you want their info.

Last edited by Disregarded9-side; 08-31-2012 at 23:52..
Disregarded9-side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 00:15   #13
quantico
1911 lover

I would really consider a 4.25 inch 1911 for a carry pistol. They just work out better with an IWB holster that has a good amount of cant. I like my ed brown exec carry as the corner cut on the mainspring housing keep my ribs happy. You sure can carry a 5 inch 1911. I have done it a bunch. I just prefer a shorter carry pistol after several decades of lugging around 1911's
Old 09-03-2012, 15:41   #14
porschedog

I bought a RO this week and after 2 trips to the range, I am grinning so hard it hurts.

NRA Life Member / Creepy-Ass Cracker
Florida Glockers #172126
porschedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 14:58   #15
ca survivor

my RO makes me look good at the range, I took a file to the rear sights and rounded the rear blade a bit.
ca survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 23:08   #16
GEN3

Quote:
Originally Posted by porschedog View Post
I bought a RO this week and after 2 trips to the range, I am grinning so hard it hurts.
I don't personally own a 1911 yet but this is the one calling my name. I picked one up when they first came out and liked it a lot. I have not seen one since until last weekend when I went to my LGS and they had two in the case. Almost makes me want to put my AR project on hold to free up some cash.
GEN3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 19:41   #17
ptb351

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca survivor View Post
my RO makes me look good at the range, I took a file to the rear sights and rounded the rear blade a bit.
I bought a Springfield Loaded a month ago. It makes me look way better than I am for sure. The LGS had it and the RO for the same price(849) so I thought the Loaded was a better deal....love it. It won't be my last 1911, that's for sure.
ptb351 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 22:01   #18
Disregarded9-side
Armchair IPSCer

^Really liking my Loaded. I'd look into both when considering the RO...

My thing was that I knew I'd be changing the rear sight anyway...
Disregarded9-side is offline   Reply With Quote