Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:49   #1
OhioGlock90

New tactical mossberg build.

This summer was the first time I have gotten into shotguns, and boy was I missing out before. I just bought my first HD shotgun. I picked up a used mossberg 500 with an ATI stock. It also came with the stock pistol grip as well as the ati box with a ati forend in it. As of right now the up grades I'm planning on are: putting on the ati forend mounting a light. Installing a side saddle, new truglow front sight, mounting a red dot sight, and finally putting a good single point sling on it. I had thought about putting a mag tube extention on it but have decided against that. Right now the thing I look forward to the most is getting some trigger time with it!
Attached Thumbnails
Tactical Shotguns - Click for larger version   Tactical Shotguns - Click for larger version  
Winchester Model 1897
OhioGlock90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 15:25   #2
Buffering
The Cooler

That looks like a lot of fun however, if you won't take offense at one of your imaginary efriends, perhaps a few suggestions might make you better able to use your gun.

The thing about shotguns, as you'll soon find out as newbie of sorts to the weapon, is that simple is almost always better. There are differences of opinion on what's simple but it's largely driven by a desire to make the platform operate better for a specific use vs. casual enjoyment.

Among items generally considered to be more novelty than of practical worth are forend grips on a pump for a number of reasons and RDS. In the case of a forend grip, there is a risk of warping the action bars with time. RDS is fun and great to have but not really in keeping with the quick and up close nature of a shotgun. At a recent class we had bead shotguns, RDS, rifle sights and so on and up close where a shotgun is best employed, the simple bead was the quickest to properly put into action. The rifle sights and RDS were dead last but, in fairness, at distance, those were more accurate in the quickest amount of time.

The one inherent weakness of the platform is limited ammo capacity therefore, at the upper end of necessary mods is the extended magazine. There are no other individual weapons available to a civilian to operate with a harder proficiency to master than a shotgun. Bar none. There are more manipulations aka things that take up your time, on a shotgun than anything else. Again, bar none.

So it's simple matter of keeping that gun up and running. It is much faster, to vigorously pump the action to get another round than to grab one out of a side saddle and load it that way. There are no good reasons to make it harder to effectively use the gun when the solution is readily attainable.

As to the other mods, light on a weapon is always good. Sling is good for outdoors and of dubious value indoors, if not downright dangerous. Single or Double is up to you. I have both and each of them have their +/-.

Just keep it simple and then simple after you think it's simple enough. If you're thinking, "What would I see in a Terminator movie" then it doesn't belong on your gun.

Not meaning to piss on your fun and believe me, I have fun weapons like everyone else, but try to go a little more minimalistic to best use the shotgun for HD/SD. Your skill set can be better employed with a simple platform in more effective way.

Just my .02.
"Of every 100 men that go to battle 70 should not even be there, 20 are nothing but targets, 9 are true soldiers, and we are lucky to have them for they the battle make but ONE, one is a warrior, and HE will bring the others home." Hericlitus

Last edited by Buffering; 10-30-2014 at 15:27..
Buffering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 16:10   #3
sandpiper

Looks like a lot of fun.
Mossbergs rock
sandpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 09:39   #4
Bullman
Ahhhhhhh, Bach

Saw a really cool thread over on Shotgunworld where King's gun works actually extended the magazine to the end of the 18.5 barrel length. a lot of money to get one more round of ammo, but I thought it was a cool build all the same.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

How DUI enforcement should really work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Bullman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 13:49   #5
OhioGlock90

I just added the ATI forend and ended up adding picatiny rails to it. I didn't want to shell out the extra 100 bucks for an ATI 5 sided forend, so I went to YouTube and saw people adding their own to forends they already had. Turned out pretty good.
Attached Thumbnails
Tactical Shotguns - Click for larger version  
Winchester Model 1897
Old 10-31-2014, 13:50   #6
OhioGlock90

Sorry for the pour quality pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Tactical Shotguns - Click for larger version  
Winchester Model 1897
Old 11-02-2014, 20:10   #7
Green Mountain Boy

To me a short stock set is of most value.

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire

NECC #64
Green Mountain Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 09:17   #8
thinkfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Mountain Boy View Post
To me a short stock set is of most value.

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire
Yes! A 12" LOP Hogue short stock, a sidesaddle, and a light are all you need to have a serious shotgun that is also fun.

Those pistol grip stocks mitigate most of the benefits of the intelligently placed tang-mounted safety on Mossbergs.

I got a mechanically cherry, used 500A for 150.00. The light/sling/sidesaddle/stock package ran about 375.00 (the Surefire lights don't come cheap...but they're the best.) So for just a pinch over 500.00, I have a firearm I can shoot for fun, defense, and food if need be.

Best part is, when .223 and .30-cal rifle ammo was scarce, and you couldn't touch a box of .22's or 9mm's, there were usually 8-10 different 12 gauge loads to choose from on the shelf at Wally or Meijer.

Nice shotgun.
Old 11-20-2014, 12:24   #9
gooffeyguy

Shotguns are heavy, especially when loaded. You may not like a one point sling. I've found that it lets the heavy gun move around too much and hits you in places you don't want to get hit...lol. A two point sling seems to work much better.

I have a Mosberg 500 persuader I bought in the early '90's for about $180 new. It came with a 20" barrel and an 8 shot mag tube (maybe it's 7, can't remember exactly, but it is the same length as the barrel), synthetic stock/forearm, and a swappable pistol grip. I really like the feel of a tactical style grip on it and swapped to an ATI Talon adjustable stock. I can adjust length of pull for either me or my teenage son. Also the Talon dovetail system makes it easy to remove the grip/stock in case you need to remove the trigger group for cleaning, field stripping, etc.
gooffeyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 19:31   #10
bsg1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffering View Post
That looks like a lot of fun however, if you won't take offense at one of your imaginary efriends, perhaps a few suggestions might make you better able to use your gun.

The thing about shotguns, as you'll soon find out as newbie of sorts to the weapon, is that simple is almost always better. There are differences of opinion on what's simple but it's largely driven by a desire to make the platform operate better for a specific use vs. casual enjoyment.

Among items generally considered to be more novelty than of practical worth are forend grips on a pump for a number of reasons and RDS. In the case of a forend grip, there is a risk of warping the action bars with time. RDS is fun and great to have but not really in keeping with the quick and up close nature of a shotgun. At a recent class we had bead shotguns, RDS, rifle sights and so on and up close where a shotgun is best employed, the simple bead was the quickest to properly put into action. The rifle sights and RDS were dead last but, in fairness, at distance, those were more accurate in the quickest amount of time.

The one inherent weakness of the platform is limited ammo capacity therefore, at the upper end of necessary mods is the extended magazine. There are no other individual weapons available to a civilian to operate with a harder proficiency to master than a shotgun. Bar none. There are more manipulations aka things that take up your time, on a shotgun than anything else. Again, bar none.

So it's simple matter of keeping that gun up and running. It is much faster, to vigorously pump the action to get another round than to grab one out of a side saddle and load it that way. There are no good reasons to make it harder to effectively use the gun when the solution is readily attainable.

As to the other mods, light on a weapon is always good. Sling is good for outdoors and of dubious value indoors, if not downright dangerous. Single or Double is up to you. I have both and each of them have their +/-.

Just keep it simple and then simple after you think it's simple enough. If you're thinking, "What would I see in a Terminator movie" then it doesn't belong on your gun.

Not meaning to piss on your fun and believe me, I have fun weapons like everyone else, but try to go a little more minimalistic to best use the shotgun for HD/SD. Your skill set can be better employed with a simple platform in more effective way.

Just my .02.
great advise to follow.
bsg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 00:30   #11
AVMan

Cool. My shotgun is Mossberg 500 that started out as a dual barrel 22" and 18" with heat shield. I gotta admit, I do like the look of the heat shield but it does add a bit of weight to the gun.

I swapped out the wood stock for a 4-shot speed feed stock with 1-oz slugs. I also added a six-round side saddle 00 buckshot. Last, I swapped out the gold bead for a tru-glow fiber optic front sight.

Mine is over 20 years old but it just keeps working, granted I don't shoot it often but it gets out twice a year. I want to take a tactical shotgun class. I really like the safety on Mossbergs vs Remington 870s.

G19 Gen 2 | G21SF Gen 3 | G36 Gen 3 | Sprinfield Armory 1911A1 | Ruger 22/45 | Ruger 10/22 (x 2) | Mossberg 500 A | AR Carbine

Last edited by AVMan; 11-22-2014 at 00:31..
AVMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 17:31   #12
Lt Scott 14

I went the new Moss 500A, and bought the 18 1/2 in bbl for $80.00. Stored the 28in bbl. Had the cheapie plastic wood furniture.

Bid on a Blackhawk stock/foreend on Ebay, and won at $55.00. Found a heat shield for $20.00. Did the swap, had to dremel the fiberglass foreend to fit and ordered an extended nut/collar.(kit was for shorter fore end guns). Looked awesome black with the brass trigger! Overall investment was around $355.00. Can't look at quality handguns for that price!

All works great, but the safety operation is an issue due to the M4 type handgrip stock.

Did a reverse, got the standard rear stock in fiberglass(new, and cheap), now I can reach the safety without work. (did I mention I shoot left handed?)

Have a couple stocks on extra duty, but may find a beater 500, and tact it out. Might do a tiger stripe camo job if blueing is jazzed, or gone. Actions are pretty same over the years, so if I need to bubba fix one, shouldn't be an issue.

Good luck, these are solid guns. Other threads were spot on about shells and available extras. No problem finding any.

Last edited by Lt Scott 14; 12-10-2014 at 17:39..
Lt Scott 14 is offline   Reply With Quote