Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-22-2014, 15:41   #1
Jaysonics

Deciding between two 870s, need advice

So I'm looking at my local gun shop at two different model 870 shotguns. The first is the express tactical with the replaceable chokes, ghost ring/blade sights w/sight rail for $499. The second is an express synthetic (none of the upgrades that the tactical has) for $395.

My question is, is it worth the extra $100 for those upgrades? Other than those few things, they look and feel identical. I'm just going to use it for home defense and range time at a friends house. Occasionally use it for skeet shooting, but that won't be my main focus

Links to both.

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...c-7-round.aspx

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...-tactical.aspx

Last edited by Jaysonics; 03-26-2014 at 08:30..
Jaysonics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 15:53   #2
Grouse870

I'd say get the express tactical. I love mine, the sights are awesome. The removable chokes are nice even if its just for home defense. I would ditch the stupid one it comes with and screw in an IC choke and test some buckshot to see what patterns best.
Sub Club #465
Grouse870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 16:47   #3
Inebriated

They're both just Expresses. The "upgrades" on the Tactical are nice and all, but I'll take the standard Express with the cylinder choke and bead for home defense.
Kalashnikov Klub Member #870
The 21 Club Member #19691
Inebriated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 16:49   #4
Navitimer

My vote is the Express Tactical as well, unless you plan on swapping our the furniture and some of the other upgrades. If you may end up going that way, check out Magpul and Mesa Tactical, plus there's some other nice upgrades out there too!
Navitimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 19:38   #5
MrMurphy
Head Sheepdog

They're on crack if they think a standard Express is worth $400.

Shop around more.

I'd add a Magpul stock set instead of getting the 'tactical'. It'll do what's needed and cost less.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 20:06   #6
Benton

OP,
Just a heads up, I would not buy any 870 in the "express" version.

I have read to many posts on this and other sites about the sub standard quality of the express version.

The main complaints are that burrs and rough finishes are on the internals of some express models.

That's why they cost less than the real deal: the 870 wingmaster.
Benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 20:08   #7
Jack Ryan
Get off my lawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysonics View Post
So I'm looking at my local gun shop at two different model 870 shotguns. The first is the express tactical with the replaceable chokes, better sights, front sight rail for $500. The second is an express synthetic (none of the upgrades that the tactical has) for $400.

My question is, is it worth the extra $100 for those upgrades? Other than those few things, they look and feel identical. I'm just going to use it for home defense and range time at a friends house. Occasionally use it for skeet shooting, but that won't be my main focus

Links to both.

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...c-7-round.aspx

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...-tactical.aspx
Tactical. You can't go wrong with better sights and the chokes are worth having.
Jack Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 05:34   #8
Jaysonics

Thanks for the input guys, need to do a bit more research on them before I buy. I forgot to mention that both guns say "remington 870 tactical" on the body above the trigger guard, but do not say express. Need to find out more on that. Will be stopping by the shop later today to ask a few more questions.

On another note, not looking to spend more than roughly $500 on this gun. It's not going to be something that I will use all the time. The shop has some Mossberg options, but they just don't feel as solid as the remingtons, mainly the "racking handle" seems to wiggle back and forth and feels cheap to me. Any suggestions on other guns are welcome. Thanks again guys
Old 03-23-2014, 05:35   #9
Jaysonics

Thanks for the input guys, need to do a bit more research on them before I buy. I forgot to mention that both guns say "remington 870 tactical" on the body above the trigger guard, but do not say express. Need to find out more on that. Will be stopping by the shop later today to ask a few more questions.

On another note, not looking to spend more than roughly $500 on this gun. It's not going to be something that I will use all the time. The shop has some Mossberg options, but they just don't feel as solid as the remingtons, mainly the pump action seems to wiggle back and forth and feels cheap to me. Any suggestions on other guns are welcome. Thanks again guys

Last edited by Jaysonics; 03-26-2014 at 08:41..
Old 03-23-2014, 07:09   #10
JimM_PA

Our local WalMart has the Express synthetic model you mentioned for $350.00.
JimM_PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:21   #11
Inebriated

Quote:

On another note, not looking to spend more than roughly $500 on this gun. It's not going to be something that I will use all the time. The shop has some Mossberg options, but they just don't feel as solid as the remingtons, mainly the "racking handle" seems to wiggle back and forth and feels cheap to me. Any suggestions on other guns are welcome. Thanks again guys
They're both just Expresses. Honestly, for your best use of your dollars, I'd say find a 25549. It's the Express with an 18" Cylinder choke barrel, police/tactical furniture, and no magazine extension. They're regularly $320-$340. Then get a Wilson Combat/Scattergun Tech (same brand) +2 extension, which is a much improved over the factory Remington extension ($45), and buy the upgraded Carrier Dog Follower spring ($2-$3). Excluding tax/shipping/FFL costs, that's $370-$390 for the gun, which leaves you $110-$130 out of your budget for ammo, a light, a bird barrel, whatever you want.

Last edited by Inebriated; 03-23-2014 at 10:24..
Old 03-23-2014, 12:07   #12
PhoenixTacSolutions
PTS

http://www.aiptactical.com/
PhoenixTacSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 12:19   #13
mj9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixTacSolutions View Post

nice info, gotta bookmark this
Old 03-23-2014, 12:43   #14
Inebriated

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixTacSolutions View Post
I forgot JD's Basic 1 is only $500.

Definitely a better option, IMO, than the Tactical. Better extension, better finish, upgraded CDF spring, can't go wrong.
Old 03-23-2014, 14:01   #15
vafish

I think the replaceable chokes are worth the $100 increase in cost of the tactical.

You can add a rifled choke tube and shoot sabot slugs very accurately with those ghost ring sights.
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 14:16   #16
Benton

OP,
If it wasn't for your $500 cap, I would suggest a Ithaca model 37 Home defense shotgun. Ithaca is alive and well in Ohio.

The model 37 is another design of John Browning.

ithicagun.com

Last edited by Benton; 03-23-2014 at 14:20.. Reason: addition
Benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 15:06   #17
Jaysonics

Lots of good info, thanks again. Will be looking more into this purchase
Old 03-23-2014, 16:15   #18
DaleGribble
Well Heeled Bum

Based on recent reports I would not buy a new Remington Express shotgun. The only thing I would buy from Remington is a VersaMax and that's it.

You would be better off cruising pawn shops for an older used 870 Wingmaster or Police Magnum and repairing/replacing parts as needed. You'll have a better gun.
DaleGribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 18:34   #19
Jaysonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleGribble View Post
Based on recent reports I would not buy a new Remington Express shotgun. The only thing I would buy from Remington is a VersaMax and that's it.

You would be better off cruising pawn shops for an older used 870 Wingmaster or Police Magnum and repairing/replacing parts as needed. You'll have a better gun.
You're not the first person to say that, what is going on with newer Express models that is turning people away?
Old 03-23-2014, 19:18   #20
DaleGribble
Well Heeled Bum

Quote:
You're not the first person to say that, what is going on with newer Express models that is turning people away?
They are owned by the Freedom group which has a reputation of sacrificing quality control for the sake of sheer profit, customers be damned.

Here's just one of many who have had problems...

DaleGribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 19:47   #21
whoops dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleGribble View Post

Quoted for truth. My store has quite a few of the 870 epresses coming back in to be sent back to remington.

Deuteronomy 15:11
You cannot follow Christ and not care about others.
whoops dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 20:19   #22
Inebriated

There's also tons of folks who've gotten good ones. That said, just buy one from AI&P (the place Pheonix linked you to) and it's going to work, guaranteed.

Last edited by Inebriated; 03-23-2014 at 20:20..
Old 03-24-2014, 06:46   #23
Jaysonics

As much as I've been reading up, it seems 50/50 for people who have no issues and love them vs people who have ran into issues and don't recommend them. That being said, I've got the understanding that the people that contact Remington about their specific issues, if any, get them resolved pretty painlessly by Remington (Who offer to cover shipping both ways and a quick turn around time from what I've read).

For you guys that "don't recommend buying anything labeled Express" what do you recommend? AGAIN... I'm not looking to spend more than $500, that it my top limit on the gun. I'm looking for a tactical style gun with removable chokes and basic furniture. I'm not looking to order online, I like to support local business and my 2 local shops keep a selection of Remington, Mossberg and Benelli in stock but can get whatever.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:12   #24
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
NRA Life Member

I would suggest finding an older model 870P or a Wingmaster and build it up.
Used models can be bought rather cheaply. I feel the older models are of a much better quality.
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 16:07   #25
irishbum

I have an 1981 Police Magnum with small scratches, nice bluing, great parkerizing on the barrel which the quality can't be denied. I have no doubts that Remington has suffered in the QC department for sure.
irishbum is offline   Reply With Quote