Home Forums Classifieds GT Store Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-16-2014, 07:05   #1
G33Man

Mossberg 5901A! with MagPul furniture

This is the 1st shotty I have purchased in several years. It is fairly KISS. 18.5" version. 6 in the tube plus 1 in the pipe. The original stock held 2 rounds. Ghost ring in the rear with an orange blade front sight. I have a Meprolight green tritium front sight in route. I shot 50 rounds of Hornady Critical Defense 00 buck this past Saturday. 8 pellets at 1600 fps. I was able to shoot in an area of our range where I could move and engage various targets while on the move. Fun time and a flawless performance by my new Mossberg 590A1. My only issue is that I wasn't happy with the LOP. I looked to Magpul for a solution...specifically their SGA stock. It has multiple LOP adjustments and feels great on my shoulder once I added the correct spacer.. From Magpul: "Featuring a spacer system for length of pull adjustment, improved grip ergonomics, recoil-reducing butt-pad, optional cheek risers for use with optics/raised sights, and other accessories." I added their MOE fore end also. This also gave me an opportunity to strip the rifle completely down. I took everything apart. The only thing I didn't disassemble was the trigger group. It is cleaned , lubed and ready to launch more Horandy's Critical Defense 00 buck (8 pellets at 1600 fps of fury).

Tactical Shotguns

Tactical Shotguns

Tactical Shotguns
G33Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 07:10   #2
azbuckeye

Very nice. There's something very comforting about having a shotgun close at hand. Thanks for sharing
Old 08-16-2014, 12:54   #3
Jack Black

I wasn't too sure about the Magpul forend. It was a little too bulky and slick for my liking. I was about to put the Mossberg one back on, but decide to stipple it first. I love it now! My hand doesn't slip at all and I don't feel like I have to grip it tight. I was planning to stipple it more, but it works great as is.

Tactical Shotguns
Jack Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 21:33   #4
Desert Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Black View Post
I wasn't too sure about the Magpul forend. It was a little too bulky and slick for my liking. I was about to put the Mossberg one back on, but decide to stipple it first. I love it now! My hand doesn't slip at all and I don't feel like I have to grip it tight. I was planning to stipple it more, but it works great as is.

Tactical Shotguns
Stippling looks very nice!

G33; sweet looking shotty!

Last edited by Desert Duck; 08-16-2014 at 21:34..
Desert Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 21:53   #5
mr00jimbo

The Magpul furniture is great. I'm a wood kinda guy but I think the Magpul stuff looks good despite people not liking the aesthetics of it. It's very ergonomic, too.
The Magpul forend allows me to grip the forend of the gun further back too compared to the serrations of the original corn cob style where you had to grip it further forward for it to have any serrations to grab onto.

My girlfriend is 5'2" and about 110 pounds and with the buttstock and forend, she was able to wield my 20-inch 590A1 and fire it, although she did say that the weight of the gun was like an arm workout for her. I have the LOP at 12.5" without any spacers and she can fire it, and I can fire it too.

The stock Magpul pad, I don't know if it's a genuine recoil pad or not, seems to help recoil quite a bit, maybe not as well as my 870 Police limbsaver pad but pretty damn close.
Old 12-09-2014, 20:56   #6
Joe.45

Now that looks cool! How much was your investment?
Joe.45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 17:38   #7
AK74play

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr00jimbo View Post
The Magpul furniture is great. I'm a wood kinda guy but I think the Magpul stuff looks good despite people not liking the aesthetics of it. It's very ergonomic, too.
The Magpul forend allows me to grip the forend of the gun further back too compared to the serrations of the original corn cob style where you had to grip it further forward for it to have any serrations to grab onto.

My girlfriend is 5'2" and about 110 pounds and with the buttstock and forend, she was able to wield my 20-inch 590A1 and fire it, although she did say that the weight of the gun was like an arm workout for her. I have the LOP at 12.5" without any spacers and she can fire it, and I can fire it too.

The stock Magpul pad, I don't know if it's a genuine recoil pad or not, seems to help recoil quite a bit, maybe not as well as my 870 Police limbsaver pad but pretty damn close.
They make a Limbsaver Recoil pad for the Magpul stock. I have them on 3 of mine. 2 870's and 1 Mossy.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:31   #8
abarraza5

Looks good!
abarraza5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 23:36   #9
Navitimer

Looks great man...congrats! I love the Magpul shotgun stock and forearm. I put them on my Mossy 500, and couldn't be happier!
Navitimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 17:35   #10
TBumps

Very futuristic looking. I'll have to check it out before I'm sold on the ergonomics, however. Love my 590 SP. Simple, reliable, deadly.
TBumps is offline   Reply With Quote