SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:30   #1
Bilbo Bagins
Slacked jawed

Kahr slide release question

A friend of mine purchased a Kahr CM9. When he put in a loaded mag, and goes to rack the slide to chamber a round, the slide will not go forward. The only way to make it slide forward is by pressing the slide release, and sling shot the first round in the chamber.

Is this common with all Kahrs? Is this something that will loosen up with the break in, or is this a malfunction that needs to be fixed?
Bilbo Bagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:54   #2
ripley16

If your friend reads the manual, he'll see some points on loading the gun. However, if you rack the slide vigorously, it should load the round. If he rides the slide or tries to slowly lower it, it probably won't work.
ripley16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:55   #3
CitizenOfDreams

Edit: nevermind, I was thinking about a different problem.

Kahr pistols don't seem to like it when you "ride" the slide forward. They require a hard slingshot or a slide release.

Last edited by CitizenOfDreams; 04-09-2012 at 09:03..
CitizenOfDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:21   #4
KennyFSU
What to wear...

It's quite common with brand new Kahrs.

After a few hundred rounds it gets A LOT easier to rack.
KennyFSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:19   #5
frankr

Thatís the only issue I have with Kahr pistols. Kahr recommended way of loading the first round is to have the slide locked back, insert loaded magazine then press slide release to load the first round. They do not recommend manually racking the slide.
Old 04-29-2012, 19:47   #6
Linux3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyFSU View Post

Very true. Plus you get the knack of quick release of the slide.

Linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 13:47   #7
G19aps

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankr View Post
Thatís the only issue I have with Kahr pistols. Kahr recommended way of loading the first round is to have the slide locked back, insert loaded magazine then press slide release to load the first round. They do not recommend manually racking the slide.
They don't recommend it b/c so many people do it incorrectly. If you think about it mechanically, a sling shot slide release gets more spring compression than using the slide release. But since so many people ride the slide a little bit when they sling shot it can present a problem.
G19aps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 16:22   #8
frankr

Quote:
Originally Posted by G19aps View Post
They don't recommend it b/c so many people do it incorrectly. If you think about it mechanically, a sling shot slide release gets more spring compression than using the slide release. But since so many people ride the slide a little bit when they sling shot it can present a problem.
It also has something to do with the way the bullets are seated in the magazine. Never had an issue manually racking a Glock, Sig, Taurus or a S&W only a Kahr. But for me itís not a game stopper, my PM9 is a great pocket carry and has been 100% reliable. I would not hesitate recommending a Kahr.
Old 04-30-2012, 20:46   #9
Cole125
Silver Membership

Quote:

Yeah, after I shot about 300 rounds through my P380 and it was broken in enough easily chamber a round by racking the slide.

Before I ever fired the gun I cleaned and lubed it well, and racked the slide about 200 times. Tell your friend to do that.

Last edited by Cole125; 04-30-2012 at 20:47..
Cole125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:13   #10
SFla27

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankr View Post
It also has something to do with the way the bullets are seated in the magazine. Never had an issue manually racking a Glock, Sig, Taurus or a S&W only a Kahr. But for me itís not a game stopper, my PM9 is a great pocket carry and has been 100% reliable. I would not hesitate recommending a Kahr.

Hey Frank (and other GT'ers who own a Kahr PM / CM9.)

As fellow G27 owner, I was mulling over getting a PM9/CM9 as a secondary / backup / downstairs (The 27 is upstairs) / CCW-where-the-27-might-be-too-easily-seen self defense gun.

Could you provide some comparison regarding how the two shoot and feel? Any observations / advice would be most appreciated!

Thanks.

Matthew
SFla27
SFla27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 13:47   #11
KennyFSU
What to wear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFla27 View Post

As fellow G27 owner, I was mulling over getting a PM9/CM9 as a secondary / backup / downstairs (The 27 is upstairs) / CCW-where-the-27-might-be-too-easily-seen self defense gun.

Could you provide some comparison regarding how the two shoot and feel? Any observations / advice would be most appreciated!

Thanks.

Matthew
SFla27
I owned a 26; which is more an apples to apples comparison compared to a 27 and I quickly sold the 26 after buying the Kahr.

The only thing I can think of that the 26 had an advantage over the PM9 was capacity. That may be a big deal to some but not to me, since I always have a J-frame BUG.

The Kahr excelled in every other aspect for me (trigger, size, weight, fit/finish, and concealability).
KennyFSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 14:32   #12
mtnglide

Had same problem with my CM9 and to a lesser extent with my P45. Both got a lot better after 200 or so rounds.
mtnglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 15:37   #13
SFla27

Quote:
I owned a 26; which is more an apples to apples comparison compared to a 27 and I quickly sold the 26 after buying the Kahr.

The only thing I can think of that the 26 had an advantage over the PM9 was capacity. That may be a big deal to some but not to me, since I always have a J-frame BUG.

The Kahr excelled in every other aspect for me (trigger, size, weight, fit/finish, and concealability).
Interesting.

Well, I guess if one uses a 124gr+P or something to that effect, we're talking almost .40cal stopping power (apart from actual bullet expansion diameter, retention, etc..).

I understand you sold the 26 after getting the Kahr. How different did it feel to shoot the Kahr compared to the 26? Did it kick more? Was the grip more difficult to manage / keep in a good hand position when firing?

Thank you for sharing your experience!

Matthew
SFla27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 15:38   #14
Linux3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnglide View Post
Had same problem with my CM9 and to a lesser extent with my P45. Both got a lot better after 200 or so rounds.
Partly gets better and partly learning how I think.

I bought a P380 a while ago and have always been able to slingshot it but then I have owned a PM9 and a TP9 for years and have long since learned the knack.

Linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:50   #15
frankr

Quote:

Thanks.

Matthew
SFla27
I have no issue with the recoil on my G27 but between the PM9 and the G27 it is not a very good comparison. Single stack compared to a double stack and 40 S&W and 9mm. But my PM9 makes for a great back up pistol. But no 9mm will ever replace any of my 40 S&W.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:52   #16
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
I
I understand you sold the 26 after getting the Kahr. How different did it feel to shoot the Kahr compared to the 26? Did it kick more? Was the grip more difficult to manage / keep in a good hand position when firing?
I have medium sized hands, and I find the single column grips of the Kahr (compared to the Glock's fat grip) harder to grasp. Shooting the Kahr K9, I had to consciously grasp the butt tighter, otherwise I would find the gun rotating out of my hands. This required reshifting my grip after a few rounds.

Of course, after installing Kahr's wooden grips, this issue was much alleviated.

And thank YOU for being perfect, all the time, every time. Go forth and reproduce. We need more of you.
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:21   #17
Sendarr

Cm9/pm9 is a smooth shooter, I've owned a g26 and g27 and i'd carry the cm9 first. It disappears on you.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Sendarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:10   #18
LApm9

My PM9 was easy to slingshot until I sent it in for a barrel peening fix. Since then it hangs up on 50% of all sling shots, with the round slightly nose-diving. HOWEVER, a light bump with the palm of the hand drives it to battery nicely.

I did a light "fluff and buff" but no change.
LApm9 is offline   Reply With Quote