SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-01-2012, 13:29   #1
cowboy1964

Underwood Gold Dot 180gr 10mm meteorite tested by tnoutdoors9

How powerful is it?

It's so powerful the jacket and core almost separated (this just doesn't happen with Gold Dots, not through denim)!

It's so powerful you don't measure the expanded diameter, you measure the stretched length!

cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 14:25   #2
G33Man

That is awesome. I would like to see the same test using the same Underwood ammo but with the Hornady XTP bullet that they also offer.
G33Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 14:31   #3
plouffedaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by G33Man View Post
That is awesome. I would like to see the same test using the same Underwood ammo but with the Hornady XTP bullet that they also offer.
My guess is it would penetrate at least 20''. That XTP isn't known for expansion...

I'd like to see the 155gr and 165gr Gold Dots tested as well.
Old 09-01-2012, 15:20   #4
uzimon
team ftp

tagg
uzimon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 15:33   #5
Berto
woo woo

No disappointment in bullet performance.
Berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 15:55   #6
9mm +p+

Ummmmm, who cares if the jkt seperated a wee bit? Not I, that was friggin awesome and would do a real number on flesh. Makes me want a 10mm upper for my 21.
Old 09-01-2012, 16:05   #7
klmmicro

Send a message via Yahoo to klmmicro

Just ordered some of these for a winter woods load. After reading a bunch on this offering, it would seem that Underwood has done it right for true 10mm Auto spec loads. Thank you for sharing the video!

*10 Ring, MBR and Reloading Clubs: #436*
klmmicro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 16:57   #8
G33Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by plouffedaddy View Post
My guess is it would penetrate at least 20''. That XTP isn't known for expansion...

I'd like to see the 155gr and 165gr Gold Dots tested as well.

The XTP is an excellent bullet designed for deep penetration and controlled expansion. It is one of the most accurate JHPs I've ever had the pleasure of shooting and have never had any issues of any kind with the bullet.

Obviously I am a big fan of Hornady's XTP JHP bullet (and the Speer Gold Dot). I have shot (and recovered) these bullets thru just about every type of material I can think of. I am always impressed with the consistency of the expansion and the recovered bullet weight.

I have just stumbled onto Underwood ammo recently and am excited to have another choice of 10mm loads.
G33Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 17:19   #9
Breadman03

Send a message via Skype™ to Breadman03
I might just have to place an order with Underwood.
Old 09-01-2012, 17:50   #10
Beretta92guy

that bullet = "a whole lotta' messed-up" on whatever it hits
Beretta92guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 18:43   #11
plouffedaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by G33Man View Post
The XTP is an excellent bullet designed for deep penetration and controlled expansion. It is one of the most accurate JHPs I've ever had the pleasure of shooting and have never had any issues of any kind with the bullet.

Obviously I am a big fan of Hornady's XTP JHP bullet (and the Speer Gold Dot). I have shot (and recovered) these bullets thru just about every type of material I can think of. I am always impressed with the consistency of the expansion and the recovered bullet weight.

I have just stumbled onto Underwood ammo recently and am excited to have another choice of 10mm loads.
No argument that the XTP is a good bullet. But, like you said it's known for deep penetration, not wide expansion. That's all I was trying to point out.
Old 09-01-2012, 18:58   #12
JW1178

Freaking awesome! Let me rephrase that: Holy mother of Thor!!!

Bullet failure technically, but anything hit by that would also suffer failure. It goes without saying, even if your shot placement wasn't spot on, the damage caused by that would be disabling, and the bleeding would be something that won't take long to be deadly, and the "shock" factor of a hit like that alone would most likely stop a fight.

I wish LE would look back into the 10mm on the G20 platform.

(waiting on 9mm fanboy arguments)

LOVE my G20. Now, need some new ammo. Can't wait to see more test. I'd like to see the cavity left by the 135gr.

Last edited by JW1178; 09-01-2012 at 19:02..
JW1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 19:09   #13
uz2bUSMC
10mm defender

Although the test result was impressive, well, standard in my mind for the 10mm, the best part is what he mentioned near the end... he is going to train up to use the 10mm where he feels comfortable. Most people try to throttle down the loadings ( other than 10mm) until they feel good about their shooting, TN9 is obviously someone who will put in the effort to master his desired loading instead.

- "Our country went through a transition during the last election where the parasites came together and outnumbered the hosts." -jdavionic
uz2bUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 20:17   #14
Remington 870

cowboy 1964 that was a cool test. I am interested in maybe trying the 200 grain underwood load for deer maybe if you get a chance to test that load I would really appreciate that. I think that load would have some very deep penetration! your videos are very good keep up the good work.
Remington 870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 20:21   #15
cowboy1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington 870 View Post
cowboy 1964 that was a cool test. I am interested in maybe trying the 200 grain underwood load for deer maybe if you get a chance to test that load I would really appreciate that. I think that load would have some very deep penetration! your videos are very good keep up the good work.
(not my test, it's tnoutdoors9's)
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 22:02   #16
JW1178

I wonder what he's going to test next, the 165's? When I did my own personal testing on DT's 165 it was quite impressive. I'd like to see the 135 in some balistics gel. I know it doesn't penetrate very deep, but every kind of other test I've seen done the 135 does massive damage. 155's would be interesting too. As far as the 180-200 XTP's, he will need to get another block or he's going to finally use some of those water jugs.
JW1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 01:38   #17
9mm +p+

I'm waiting for the 45 ACP 230 gold dot +P test, hint, hint.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:19   #18
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Interesting.

I'd never carry that load. It's way too hot and the bullet is obviously being pushed beyond it's design limits. Back off the velocity by 75 to 100 fps and maybe they will have something.

Besides, I'd be willing to bet there would be repeatable overpenetration issues with this load in the real world.

At least Underwood hit the advertised velocity mark for a change!
Old 09-02-2012, 04:24   #19
Eric2340
Infidel :)

Being a 10mm noob myself, how much of an issue is this jacket separation issue w/ normal FACTORY 10mm loads?

I keep hearing about how great the mighty 10mm is and I am interested in it in a full size gun, but not if jacket separation and over penetration are normal things?

Thanks -
Old 09-02-2012, 06:10   #20
4949shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOH212 View Post
Interesting.

I'd never carry that load. It's way too hot and the bullet is obviously being pushed beyond it's design limits. Back off the velocity by 75 to 100 fps and maybe they will have something.

Besides, I'd be willing to bet there would be repeatable overpenetration issues with this load in the real world.

At least Underwood hit the advertised velocity mark for a change!
Underwood has a Delta Elite specific load which is the same 180 grain Gold Dot bullet backed off to 1240 fps to allow it to be safely fired in a Colt Delta.

TNOutdoors, I would love to see this load tested as a comparison to the 1300 fps load!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric2340 View Post
Being a 10mm noob myself, how much of an issue is this jacket separation issue w/ normal FACTORY 10mm loads?

I keep hearing about how great the mighty 10mm is and I am interested in it in a full size gun, but not if jacket separation and over penetration are normal things?

Thanks -
Guys, this was not "complete" jacket seperation. The jacket peeled back, but stayed bonded to the load core. There was some fragmentation which is not necessarily a bad thing, and could be a good thing when you have enough penetration (17 3/4" of it).

Each fragment creates its own separate wound channel.

Devastating.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:46   #21
swinokur

This is my EDC load. I am kinda surprised he fired several shots to get an average velocity but didn't do that for an average gel test.

BTW, in my experience, Underwood ammo has always performed at advertised specs. DT, not so much.
swinokur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:42   #22
uz2bUSMC
10mm defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
This is my EDC load. I am kinda surprised he fired several shots to get an average velocity but didn't do that for an average gel test.

BTW, in my experience, Underwood ammo has always performed at advertised specs. DT, not so much.
That would probably be a pain in the arse shoot 5 different blocks as the integritey of that particular block was mostly ruined. To shoot the same block, the rounds obviously have to stagger, the more you do this, the more penetration goes up since wound tracks overlap. This would not be much of a problem with, say, a 147grn standard pressure 9mm but not so much with the underwood 180 he used.

- "Our country went through a transition during the last election where the parasites came together and outnumbered the hosts." -jdavionic
Old 09-02-2012, 07:45   #23
swinokur

Well he does melt the gel down and reuse it. Bringing more than one block wouldn't seem to be that big of a pain IMHO.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:58   #24
uz2bUSMC
10mm defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric2340 View Post

Thanks -
As 4949shooter has stated, the bullet did not fail the jacket did what it was supposed to do. Looks to me like that underwood load sqeezed the most out of that bullet. On another note, I personally don't mind some frag...

On to the overpenetration subject. Considering the human body, the skin on entrance equates to roughly 2" of penetration value, on exit about 4". That's totals 6" of penetration, give or take just considering the skin. Now let's add about 8" of media that the bullet has to contend with inside the body (slender person), that's 14" of penetration value that the bullet will have to overcome in this example. Based on the load tested, assuming a decent correlation between the gel shot and our hypothetical BG, that only leaves about 3" of unaccounted penetration. At this point the bullet is terribly deformed with a much larger sectional density thus it's penetration potential is pathetic at best. If it were to strike another target beyond your first it would barely be able to contend with clothing and/or the first layer of skin. The bullet is not harmless but pretty damn close. This is why people generally don't concern themselves with overpentration. Missing your target is your true nemesis.

Old 09-02-2012, 08:01   #25
swinokur

well said sir.