SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 09:00   #1
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

True Stories: In your face religion (warning: graphic)

I keep hearing certain people talk about other religious people being in their face about religion. Granted, most of this is from the atheist side of the house, but follow me for a second.

When has someone actually gotten in your face or been rude about their religious beliefs. Now, I'm not looking for 9/11 or other terrorist acts, which deserved the violent response it got.

I've never hidden my agnosticism. I have had a few people invite me to attend their church, I've had a couple of people send a PM telling me not to give up on god, I see Santa Claus, easter baskets, crosses, stars of david, mosques, hindu temples, menorahs, red crescents, ron paul bumper stickers, pro-life billboards and I don't get offended at all. I've even had a knock on the door once or twice in the last 5 or so years asking me to attend church, or to support a fundraiser.

In each case I was approached, a polite thanks but no thanks, or something similar was more than sufficient. Other than atheism, no one has been very pushy about trying to get me to join their religion.

The only blue law that I am aware of around here, is that you can't buy alcohol before noon on Sunday. Only had a problem with that once or twice, ever. I forgot.

So, lets tell our worst of the worst war stories about nasty old lady's condemning us to hell in the grocery store, and other similar stories.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:05   #2
Gunhaver
the wrong hands

How about my entire family torn apart by the insanity of thinking that anybody that doesn't practice their religion exactly their way is to be shunned by the rest? How about not being able to have any kind of relationship with the grandfather that raised me after I decided that I didn't want to go through the stupid rules and rituals anymore until the Alzheimer's started eating his brain. Lucky for many in my family it ate the religion out of his brain first and we had about 2 years of a normal person to enjoy before the rest of him was gone.

That whole scenario was pretty "in my face".

And that's just my experience. Somebody's loved one was bitten by a snake and died because they were a religious nut. Somebody else had their children taken away from them because they had more faith in an imaginary friend than modern medicine. Somebody else had a child die from a botched circumcision because of stupid superstition and then the whack jobs turned around and found comfort in the same insane BS that caused that child's death. Somebody else is completely unable to enjoy sex after her father burned her genitals to ensure exactly that because of stupid religious practices.

And somewhere on the internet some dolt is downplaying all of that insanity by professing that the only negative aspect of religion is that he can't buy beer on Sunday.

I bet all that stuff was in a lot of faces. And it all continues on to this day so forgive me if I don't buy your typical theist line of crap about "religion doesn't hurt anyone".
Old 09-04-2012, 12:17   #3
Animal Mother
Not Enough Gun

For years, there were a pair of preachers who would stand by the fountain that's at the center of ASU's campus every Monday through Friday and "testify", they'd be there for hours and regularly took breaks from their sermons to inform specific students they were going to hell if they didn't change their ways, usually focusing on females who wore short skirts or tank tops, in my experience. I'm not sure if they're still around because I don't pass through that part of campus as frequently the last few years.

There was also a contingent from the Door that would regularly turn up at concerts at stand outside the doors handing out fliers and telling attendees they were going to be condemned if they didn't turn away from their sinful pursuits, which presumably meant going to the concert in question.

I also go to an orthopedist who's office is in the same complex as a doctor who provides abortions. There was a period when there would be protesters on the sidewalk out front who would insist on sharing their faith with me while I was walking in from the parking lot.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:35   #4
High-Gear

Little ways quite often. I had to sign a Law Enforcement Code of Ethics, swearing to "god" to uphold. Both at my agency and at the academy.

In a scuba class the instructor was showing photos and commented, "when you get down on that reef and see the beauty there, you would have to be either crazy or stupid to not believe in god."

We have a Chaplain who started at our agency who would try to "save" me from time to time, who purchases tickets to the Kirk Cameron movies for officers, and who shares our names with prayer groups who contact us. Thankfully that has stopped.

The Phelps clan is about 2 hours away and have come to protest a few times.

The odd drunk that I arrest goes off about religion from time to time, but they are annoying no matter what they are talking about.

There are more suttle ways as well.
Everytime I go to the doctor's office there are bibles and tracts in the exam rooms. billboards are in my town twlling me to repent now and find god. i have to acknowledge god to pledge allegience to my country. Judges act annoyed that I won't swear to god, and they have to read the affirmation.

These aren't that big of a deal, just a pain in the rear, however If the shoe were on the other foot I bet the religious would complain.

Last edited by High-Gear; 09-04-2012 at 12:38..
Old 09-04-2012, 12:38   #5
Gunhaver
the wrong hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal Mother View Post

I also go to an orthopedist who's office is in the same complex as a doctor who provides abortions. There was a period when there would be protesters on the sidewalk out front who would insist on sharing their faith with me while I was walking in from the parking lot.
Well that's what you get for wearing your short skirt and tube top to the orthopedist.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:42   #6
Animal Mother
Not Enough Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunhaver View Post
Well that's what you get for wearing your short skirt and tube top to the orthopedist.
That was strictly a matter of convenience, so he could check my knee and shoulder without me having to get undressed.
Old 09-04-2012, 13:23   #7
Ummagumma

A very good and longtime friend of mine has been getting progressively more and more religious in the last 10-12 years (he's a very devout Catholic). It got to the point where it's very hard to be around him since he seems to believe that his moral duty is to "save" me.

I have more than a few other deeply religious friends, including an Orthodox Jew and a reformed drunk... pardon, a born again Christian . None of them are getting in my face, and we all get along pretty well.

Interestingly, now that I think of it, all of them were getting more and more religious for a while now. The guy who turned Orthodox is my friend from high school days and his family wasn't very religious, to the best of my knowledge. Definitely not Orthodox. The other friend didn't start going to church until he hit his 40s.

Last edited by Ummagumma; 09-04-2012 at 13:26..
Old 09-04-2012, 13:50   #8
High-Gear

My brother got remarried and his new wife's fame is very religious. He started sending e emails of a religious nature. One claimed hurricane Katrina was gods punishment for tolerating atheists and homosexuals! I explained to him how terrible it was to blame death and distruction on these people. He didn't communicate with me for three months.

I've receive similar chain emails from coworkers. When you pay attention you encounter prosthelytizing of some sort almost daily.

Last edited by High-Gear; 09-04-2012 at 13:52..
Old 09-04-2012, 13:58   #9
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry Doc View Post
Other than atheism, no one has been very pushy about trying to get me to join their religion.
And where have you encountered this "pushy" atheism? Anywhere other than here in this specific subforum dedicated to religious discussion that you come to voluntarily and repeatedly to make confrontational claims about what atheists actually believe?

Quote:
I've never hidden my agnosticism.
Not only have you not hidden it, but you are perhaps the first militant agnostic I have ever encountered. Not only do you claim to not know, but you insist that no one else can either. Still, it is interesting that you never challenge theists here on what they claim to know.

Quote:
So, lets tell our worst of the worst war stories about nasty old lady's condemning us to hell in the grocery store, and other similar stories.
Well, there was this one annoying guy on a board I go to that tried to redfine my lack of a religion as just a different form of religion. Those annoying pushy agnostics...

I've also had senior leadership at my place of employment call for group prayer during business hours at an official office event. I just lower my head and wait for them to finish, but I shouldn't have to be made to feel that if I reveal my true opinions on the topic that it might be career limiting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 09-04-2012, 14:47   #10
PettyOfficer

I'm mostly agnostic, but hate pushy denominations.

I've whipped this out before, allow me to whip it out again.

Religious Issues
Old 09-04-2012, 15:31   #11
The Wizard

And then there is the Vegan/PETA ladies down the street from me who, everytime I past her house walking my dog, comes out an tell me I am oppressing my dog!

What about my cousin who has "shunned" the rest of the family because we do not agree with his politics. My children miss playing with his children.

What about the health enthusiast at work who lectures me on the evil of caffine, hersey bars and my lack of exercise.

Religious people are NOT the only ones that get in your face.

The sign should read IDEAS are like p&^%$.
The application of the proper amount of high explosives can solve any problem.

Last edited by The Wizard; 09-04-2012 at 15:34..
Old 09-04-2012, 16:09   #12
concretefuzzynuts
Brew Crew

How about growing up in a very religious family and when I reached the age of 17 and moved out, I decided religion wasn't for me. My family was understanding but the church told all the members to shun me and I was not to be spoken to. Essentially I was erased. Lost my friends, a boss and a job.

I tried another church 20 years later and they were very nice until Halloween rolled around and I had a 7 year old son who loved the whole Halloween experience (what kid wouldn't). I was told that Halloween was devil worship and a pagan holiday and it was wrong for my son to participate.

I haven't stepped foot in another church and never will.
GTDS Member #7
GOTOD Member #757
Snub Club Member #757
NRA Member

Last edited by concretefuzzynuts; 09-04-2012 at 17:42..
Old 09-04-2012, 17:38   #13
DonGlock26

I've been forced to contribute to the causes of secular humanist progressives for my entire adult life. I consider them a cult with Utopian fantasies.

Jehovah Witnesses use to wake me up, when I was on Midnight shift. I explained that I was all set with the Almighty, and they left me alone.
Old 09-04-2012, 17:56   #14
Kingarthurhk
Isaiah 53:4-9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal Mother View Post
For years, there were a pair of preachers who would stand by the fountain that's at the center of ASU's campus every Monday through Friday and "testify", they'd be there for hours and regularly took breaks from their sermons to inform specific students they were going to hell if they didn't change their ways, usually focusing on females who wore short skirts or tank tops, in my experience. I'm not sure if they're still around because I don't pass through that part of campus as frequently the last few years.

There was also a contingent from the Door that would regularly turn up at concerts at stand outside the doors handing out fliers and telling attendees they were going to be condemned if they didn't turn away from their sinful pursuits, which presumably meant going to the concert in question.

Interesing. At NMSU, a life time ago, we had a Catholic priest who would hang out at the heart of campus talking to students.

As a Christian looking for a group of other Christians, I frequented every Christian student organization looking for a niche, and not really finding one. I found a lot of ugliness and immaturity. I found that to be frustrating. I guess those experiences, and a few other tough ones led me to avoid God for years. It wasn't until after I was married that I started looking again, and found Him.

So, whether I was a "recovering Christian" as Muscogee would say, or a Jonah, I left the path for a number of years. I am happy I found my way back though. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Long story short, the way Christian people treat other people, even other Christians, affects people. It really does.

Now, for a more positive example. There is a new pastor to our denomination, retired navy, and former pentacostal minister. The man trully has a love relationship with Jesus, and as a result loves absolutely everyone unequivacably.

He went to SHSU to witness to the students there. He didn't do it by standing in their midst making a spectacle of himself or comdemning anyone.

He reached out to them by being kind, loving, and accepting of all of them. He won a lot of souls for Christ. Not one condemning word did he speak.

You see, there is the stupid and misguided way, as you described that would put off anyone, even other Christians. And there is the Pastor Bob way. Bob has it right.
Old 09-04-2012, 18:31   #15
Green_Manelishi
Knicker Knotter

No one "gets in my face". I did once debate with a coworker who asked why I did not become upset at his telling me I am wrong. I asked him why he does not move to Canada if the USA is such a rotten country.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 09-04-2012, 18:37   #16
Slackinoff

delete

Last edited by Slackinoff; 09-05-2012 at 09:23..
Old 09-04-2012, 19:50   #17
Guss

I have the opposite problem with religious people. They come and ring my doorbell, but for some strange reason they don't stay long once we get a conversation going. I thought they WANTED to have a conversation about religion, but when I cut to the core of things, the existence of god(s), they move right along. Should I bring out milk and cookies?
Old 09-04-2012, 20:33   #18
fgutie35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingarthurhk View Post
Interesing. At NMSU, a life time ago, we had a Catholic priest who would hang out at the heart of campus talking to students.

As a Christian looking for a group of other Christians, I frequented every Christian student organization looking for a niche, and not really finding one. I found a lot of ugliness and inmaturity.

Long story short, the way Christian people treat other people, even other Christians, affects people. It really does.
Very interesting talking points coming from a "Christian" who once insinuated I was a cannibal for truly believing in the eucharist. I wonder if you still judge me the same today that apparentally you have grown spiritually?

Closed Thread