Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-08-2012, 10:03   #1
Tvov

How to move or drag animal

So, it's a successful hunt, you've done the field dressing. And you are 1/2 mile (or mile) from a road - far enough that it is going to take awhile.

Think of a larger animal, large deer or black bear.

How do people move/drag animals? Tarp? Ropes / straps around legs? Just grab and go? Carry?

Son and I haven't been successful (yet), but last weekend we were going over ideas on how to get an animal out of the woods. We had ropes, straps, and a tarp with us (actually in the truck) and planned on figuring out what was best to use depending on how far we were from the house or a road.

I am curious how other people have done this.

Oh, and using an ATV is cheating... lol! (we don't have access to one at this time)

Last edited by Tvov; 09-08-2012 at 10:04..
Tvov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:44   #2
Hoss

I have one of these:
http://www.cabelas.com/game-carts-carriers-deer-sleighr-transport-sled.shtml?WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=03003579&rid=40&mr:trackingCode=82185DC C-958E-DF11-A0C8-002219318F67&mr:referralID=NA&mr:filter=22729283064&mr:match={matchtype}&mr:adType=pla&mr:keyword={k eyword}&mr:ad=5855069784

Works well.
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:54   #3
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

I am a big person. The deer I use to shoot were fairly big, but......

I usually just toss a rope around it's neck and drag it out of the woods. This keeps the antlers from getting caught up in stuff.

I will say knowing your woods is a must. I tend to hunt multiple properties. I was successful on one and it took me most of a day to get out of the woods because I chose the wrong path with multiple trees laying across it. I would have been much better off going straight down the hill and sloshing it out dragging it down the creek until a bridge. Where I could come pick it up.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:14   #4
F350

Depends on the state and the requirements for identifying species and sex.

In Indiana, Iowa and Missouri where I have lived and hunted the animal must remain intact, here in Colorado you may section the animal for transport as long as you follow identification regulations.

That said I also have a game cart, but they can be be heavy and some what cumbersome. Many years ago I discovered it is quite easy to drag a deer on snow, reduced friction between deer and ground. So I usually carried a small heavy duty tarp, my favorite had one side aluminiumized and it slid across the ground quite easily. The key is to reduce the ground friction, I have seen one guy using one of those plastic sled/toboggans, have also seen silicone "drag sheets" for sale in some hunting catalogs recently.

Tie forelegs up around head, make multiple loops between head and your shoulders so you can wear like a pack and slightly raise the head and go.

Last edited by F350; 09-08-2012 at 12:18..
F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 13:40   #5
Happypuppy

The non cheating ways I have done it are old school. Elk quarter it and multiple trips on a pack or a horse. Deer and such dragging it is ok if it's not too big. A 200 lb Deer loses around 40 lbs with field dressing. I have dragged them with rope and it works but the hide can get damaged if you want to tan it. I prefer to wrap it an a tarp and it slides better too. The worst are pigs. Short legs and a heavy, prickly body. I assume bears are the same with short legs vs torso. The coat is thicker so they should drag pretty well

Sent via Mental Power
Happypuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 17:04   #6
Tvov

Thanks for all the quick responses! Right now Son and I are pretty much planning on using the old tarp and ropes. We hope to find out how it works this fall...

Maybe we'll invest in one of those flexible "sleds". I hope we'll have that "problem"!
Old 09-08-2012, 17:21   #7
Hauptmann6

Send a message via AIM to Hauptmann6 Send a message via MSN to Hauptmann6 Send a message via Yahoo to Hauptmann6
I almost never had to drag more than 100 yards. grab the back feet and go!
The only things that last forever
Are memories and sorrow
Hauptmann6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:18   #8
noway

cart
atv
bike
2 people and stick

I 've used all of the above and then some, deer are not very big ( more so in FLA ) and easy to drag out. You typically have 4 long legs attached to a body about the size of a big suitcase
noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:13   #9
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
I hunt in the deep woods / Ozark mountains .... first thing I do is shed my extra clothes and get the deer dressed out. Second thing is, if you have a tarp, put the deer on it. I usually just find a stick I can tie a strong rope to. One end of the rope has a slip knot that goes around the deer's head. Other end of the rope ties of the middle of the stick. Grab the stick like a handlebar and pull the deer out. Remember, take breaks often... Don't give yourself a heart attack pulling the deer out! Take your time, take breaks often..... You'll be there before you know it!
10 Ring #1033 - Longslide #1045 - 10mm Loader #1066

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Why do I carry a 10mm?
“Because a 9mm only kills your body… the 10mm kills your soul.”
nickE10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:50   #10
Bren
NRA Life Member

First, you don't get in a hurry. I've drug a deer up a mountain I could barely climb, but it took a couple of hours to go a couple of hundred yards. On more level ground, drag a little and rest a little. A rope is good and I suspect one of those drag handles you can use on the rope would be good too. A tarp? Not so much - the animal slides better without it on most ground.

Last edited by Bren; 09-10-2012 at 14:32..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:16   #11
Kingtubby

Depends on the situation I suppose, but if Im looking at a long haul, I will just quarter the thing as needed and pack it out on my back. Depends on what animal it is I suppose, antelope deer, elk, moose, etc. Sometimes quartering is the only option.

Ive found the best method begins with an old exterior frame backpack. These can be found at surplus stores for cheap as theyve gone out of favor in the backpacking world. From there modify it to meet your game packing needs. Bring extra rope to moor it, tarp to contain it, and expect multiple trips if you are by yourself.
Kingtubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 14:03   #12
countrygun

Since most of our "hunting country" looks like this,

Hunting, Fishing & Camping

we have a motto: "The best hunter isn't the one that brings home the biggest rack, it's the hunter that shoots his closest to the road"

I have an old Forest Service pack board with canvas on it and "eye-bolts" Quarter it, and a diamond hitch, and off I go.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 14:45   #13
2@low8

Rather than rope I use something similar to seat-belt material. It is easier on your hands, can be sling over your shoulder, etc. Cheap to buy by the foot at Lowes, HD, etc.
Old 09-11-2012, 13:42   #14
KingWalleye

I use an old plastic snow sled. It glides pretty well on grass and of course, it is a dream on snow.
Old 09-11-2012, 13:48   #15
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWalleye View Post
I use an old plastic snow sled. It glides pretty well on grass and of course, it is a dream on snow.
I guess the OP needs to let us know if he's able to go "back to camp" or "back home" to get something to drag the deer OUT with.... or if he's meaning "how to people get the deer out of the woods WITHOUT going home first"

... or do you carry a slowsled with you as you sneak through the woods? :P

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Why do I carry a 10mm?

Last edited by nickE10mm; 09-11-2012 at 13:49..
Old 09-11-2012, 14:55   #16
KingWalleye

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickE10mm View Post
I guess the OP needs to let us know if he's able to go "back to camp" or "back home" to get something to drag the deer OUT with.... or if he's meaning "how to people get the deer out of the woods WITHOUT going home first"

I mostly hunt from treestands. The farthest I've had to go to my truck to get the sled is a mile on flat terrain.
I am a little guy so the extra walking is still much easier than dragging a deer without it.
Old 09-11-2012, 15:53   #17
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWalleye View Post
I mostly hunt from treestands. The farthest I've had to go to my truck to get the sled is a mile on flat terrain.
I am a little guy so the extra walking is still much easier than dragging a deer without it.
10/4... Understood. And it doesn't matter HOW big a guy u are... If you can go back to get help or a tool to help you drag, it's a good idea to do it. On the other hand, some people and situations don't have that option...

Why do I carry a 10mm?
Old 09-11-2012, 16:51   #18
Tvov

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickE10mm View Post

We should be close enough to the truck to go get something to use, which is what I am planning. The snowsled idea sounds like it would work great, depending on the terrain.
Old 09-11-2012, 18:44   #19
margo

We used to use a game cart, which means go back to the truck to get cart, then go back to the animal to cart out. Animals were 2 miles or less when using this.

Now I have a quad but havn't had the opportunity to drag anything out.
margo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 19:26   #20
aaronmj

Try a deer drag.

http://www.cabelas.com/game-carts-carriers-hunters-specialties-deluxe-deer-drag.shtml?WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=02836043&rid=40&mr:trackingCode=BF6FD0C B-958E-DF11-A0C8-002219318F67&mr:referralID=NA&mr:adType=pla&mr:match={matchtype}&mr:ad=5855069784&mr:keyword={keywor d}&mr:filter=22729283064