Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:39   #1
glock27ss

Kahr CW40-Problems

So I bought a CW40 yesterday from the local gun show (new) and when I got home I was excited to break the gun down and clean it and then just run some rounds through it without firing it.

I field strip the gun and it is pretty nasty in there so I take care of that, put it back together and then load the mag with 165g Federal JHP's. As per the Kahr manual I did not pull the slide back with my hand and allow the round to enter the chamber; I loaded the round in the chamber by depressing the slide stop.

Round in the chamber: I pull back on the slide...slide jams... I look down and the round is stuck between the extractor and the barrel. I release the mag and pry out the live round... so I think lets try this again. I pull the slide open, lock it back insert the mag, depress the slide stop, round in chamber... pull back on the slide... same jam...bullet stuck between the extractor and the barrel.

I tried this with both FMJ and JHP... probable tried to run 100 rounds through it and i would say that 75 of them at least got stuck. So I take it back to the gun show today after playing with it all morning and getting rounds jammed. Guy gets a few rounds puts them in the mag cycles the gun and all rounds eject just as they should... Of course this happens... I look like an ass but tell him that I still do not want the gun b/c I was planning on using this as my carry piece and I did not trust that it would function properly. He got kinda pissed and returned the firearm... as they do have a 3 day no questions asked return policy. He insisted there was nothing wrong with the firearm, and maybe there wasn't but I definatly did not feel comfortable keeping it for carry purposes.

I hope the guy didn't have any hard feelings I have purchased Glocks from him before and they function as they should, and I would definatly buy another gun from his company...just not sure he is going to want to sell to me again.

What do you guys think, was I wrong?
CZ P07 Duty - Night Sights, Trigger Job, Mag Release Job
glock27ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 14:43   #2
viniglock
GLOCKS-N-KAHRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock27ss View Post
So I bought a CW40 yesterday from the local gun show (new) and when I got home I was excited to break the gun down and clean it and then just run some rounds through it without firing it.

I field strip the gun and it is pretty nasty in there so I take care of that, put it back together and then load the mag with 165g Federal JHP's. As per the Kahr manual I did not pull the slide back with my hand and allow the round to enter the chamber; I loaded the round in the chamber by depressing the slide stop.

Round in the chamber: I pull back on the slide...slide jams... I look down and the round is stuck between the extractor and the barrel. I release the mag and pry out the live round... so I think lets try this again. I pull the slide open, lock it back insert the mag, depress the slide stop, round in chamber... pull back on the slide... same jam...bullet stuck between the extractor and the barrel.

I tried this with both FMJ and JHP... probable tried to run 100 rounds through it and i would say that 75 of them at least got stuck. So I take it back to the gun show today after playing with it all morning and getting rounds jammed. Guy gets a few rounds puts them in the mag cycles the gun and all rounds eject just as they should... Of course this happens... I look like an ass but tell him that I still do not want the gun b/c I was planning on using this as my carry piece and I did not trust that it would function properly. He got kinda pissed and returned the firearm... as they do have a 3 day no questions asked return policy. He insisted there was nothing wrong with the firearm, and maybe there wasn't but I definatly did not feel comfortable keeping it for carry purposes.

I hope the guy didn't have any hard feelings I have purchased Glocks from him before and they function as they should, and I would definatly buy another gun from his company...just not sure he is going to want to sell to me again.

What do you guys think, was I wrong?
Buyer's Remorse?
Old 04-11-2010, 14:52   #3
glock27ss

Kinda, I really wanted the gun ... Just not that gun... I will probably buy the same model gun again next time I see one.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:32   #4
Cowart

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock27ss View Post
Guy gets a few rounds puts them in the mag cycles the gun and all rounds eject just as they should... What do you guys think, was I wrong?
You already answered your own question.
Cowart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 20:01   #5
AZ Traveler

Kahrs are tight when they are new. According to your post, you hand cycled the ammo through the gun several times. Live rounds hung when ejected, so you returned it. You never stated that you fired it. In normal operation, IE: firing. The gun is ejecting spent cases. I bet it would worked fine.

In fact, I had the same issue. I fired it and broke it in. It no longer has an issue ejecting live rounds.

That's my 2 cents.

YMMV
Colt Pocket 1903 32 ACP / KelTec P32
SASS Member / NRA Member / Kahr Club # 22
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 20:03   #6
glock27ss

Yeah I am going to end up buying that gun again... It just felt so good in the hand.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:24   #7
JohnJak
sadly spent

How can someone test a gun by cycling live rounds through it and not fire it? This must be a new way to test the reliability of the gun.
Please do not bash a gun that you have not fired live rounds through. Kahr is very tight and needs to be wet(oiled).
By the time you fire 300 live rounds through it with no problems, then I would deem it as a safe carry.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:59   #8
glock27ss

I didn't mean to bash the gun... I liked the gun... I just didn't want to go fire it and then have problems with it and then be stuck with it. Next one I get I will break in according to the manual and then report back.

By the way...none of my Glocks needed to be shot 200-300 times for the gun to function properly.
Old 04-19-2010, 22:58   #9
HadEmAll

My CW40, as well as my K40, has fed, fired, and extracted everything I put in it from the first round.

But I actually fired mine. That 200 round mandatory break in period is a myth in my experience, though probably not a bad idea on the average for any semi-auto.

Don't give up on the CW40. A lot of power in a slim, light, ergonomic package.

I've carried mine in pocket, on the ankle, and mostly in a K-Bar gunpack. High and tight under an untucked shirt, you wouldn't know I was carrying.

I carry Speer, Remington, and Winchester 155 grain JHPs in mine.

155 grain Speer Gold Dot JHP - 1173 fps (avg) - 476 ft/lbs.

Incidentlly, the conventional rifling and barrel on the CW40 do not have any less velocity or accuracy than the polygonal rifling and match barrel on the K40 despite every article I ever read saying that. My CW40 actually has about 7 to 22 fps higher velocity on every load I've chronographed.
HadEmAll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 01:10   #10
greenman19

i can't say for sure but if the cw 40 is like the .45 the chamber is actually shorter than a loaded round. to cycle live ammo you have to pull the slide back smartly allowing the case head to come back far enough for the bullet to clear the chamber. this is not a problem for fired rounds.
i do believe you were hasty in returning the gun.
greenman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:20   #11
glock27ss

Agreed... I screwed up... There is a gun show this weekend... I may have to fix the problem and get another!!
Old 11-29-2010, 12:58   #12
MAC702

Ever get another one? I found this thread while searching for some problems we are having with not one, but two brand new Kahr CW40's.

Both have failures to feed by the round not chambering completely. On one of them (Pistol A), the majority of the failures are when the round is not yet completely under the extractor. On the other (Pistol B), all of the failures are the pistol not fully going into battery. Pistol A also sometimes has this type of failure.

With Pistol B, each failure can be remedied by hitting the back of the slide. With Pistol A, this just hurts your hand and accomplishes nothing.

Both pistols were returned to Kahr after 200 rounds each of factory Winchester white box. Kahr claims they had no failures of any kind with six mags each and suggested they were being limp-wristed. But he said he replaced the recoil springs anyway. On Pistol B he also replaced the slide because since we had to send them back anyway, we complained about a double-strike of the stamping tool used to put the model number on the slide. I assume a new slide also meant a new extractor and ejector, etc.

We told them there were three of us shooting these two guns, all experiencing the same failures. I would also consider myself an extremely competent shooter and would rule out limp-wristing. In fact, purposely limp-wristing the pistol caused no change in failure rate.

We took the pistols back to the range today for another 200 rounds each. They are significantly better! However, still the same kinds of failures, just not as often, but still at 4% for Pistol B and 7-10% for Pistol A.

I told my two friends that bought them that I was extremely happy with my Kahr K9 and K40, which have always functioned near flawlessly. I am disappointed in these CW40's.

Has Kahr outgrown their quality control department? Even if they had, I fully expected the pistols to be returned to me working flawlessly.

My next step is to buy ammo other than Winchester white box and test again. My friend forgot to ask Kahr what brand ammo they use in testing.

Last edited by MAC702; 11-29-2010 at 12:59..
MAC702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 15:00   #13
CodyBoy

My P9 would fail to go into battery a few times during the break in period. But after a couple hundred rounds it is flawless. Have never had a single malfunction afterwards.

I carry it everyday as if my life depended on it. And it does.
Old 11-05-2012, 19:16   #14
DrDuece

CW40 Experience

I purchased a Kahr CW40 and had several issues with the firearm. Mag release issues, basically the mag would fall out while shooting. It was shooting low and left as well and also would misfire and jamb live rounds. I had to send it in to Kahr twice. They finally agreed that the firearm was just a bad gun. They replaced it with new one and it performed flawless from the get go. I also agree that the break in period is a myth but its also a piece of mind to the owner. I know that my Glock 21 SF just gets better and better with time so I'm hoping the same for my CW40 so far 10 mags and no issues at all and its on paper. The long trigger pull takes some getting use to try using just the tip of your trigger finger instead of the first knuckle. Don't give up on it.
DrDuece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 22:08   #15
MAC702

Since this got bumped, I'll update my experience from two posts (and two years) ago.

Turns out, WWB ammo is significantly less powerful than other stuff. While we have frequent failures in both CW40s with it, they run flawlessly with Federal's American Eagle ammo, which also has noticeably more recoil.

Oddly, at least one of them will function flawlessly with CCI shotshells. Yes, it will fire and feed the next one, every time. That's astonishing.

"It doesn't matter how many people I've killed. What matters is how I get along with the people who are still alive." - Jimmy the Tulip
MAC702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 22:32   #16
DrDuece

Cw40

I have been shooting Federal 40Cal. FMJ from Walmart (Burgundy and Black box) no issues and $16.00 a box.
Old 11-05-2012, 22:48   #17
DrDuece

Cw40

Sorry to hear about your issues with the CW40. I was seriously frustrated with mine like pissed off to the point of throwing my brand new gun in the woods . I finally wrote a long letter telling Kahr I wanted it replaced and after the second trip back to Kahr they did finally replace it. I haven't had a issue yet. They said there was minor discrepancies in the frame that was causing the issues. I had them have the gunsmith call me. So maybe they ran a bunch of them through with the same problem? Be persistent with Kahr and don't settle for "we didn't have problems when testing" I told them so if a family member dies because my gun doesn't fire and I can't protect them does that mean your responsible? Result New Gun!!
Old 11-06-2012, 11:09   #18
1911Texan

WOW ! I am new to the thread but after reading some of these Post's I start to wonder if there really can be that many problems..I bought my CW40 and have not had One Problem..it runs like a sewing machine..NO FTF's or FTE.. no matter what I load it with..hits where I aim and a pleasure to shoot...It is my EDC and I have no DOUBTS about it being reliable if I have to use it...I have carried a pistol for over 40 years..yes I have underwear older than most of you..The CW40 is now my Favorite carry piece..I have 1911's that has cost me well over $2000.00 each and I feel just as confident carrying my little CW40 as any of my 1911's..I guess I just want to say..I really am SOLD on the Kahr Product..I am sorry so many of you seem to be haveing problems..I guess I was Lucky enough to get one of the Good Ones..just my 2 cents...
1911Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:29   #19
Cowart

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911Texan View Post
I am sorry so many of you seem to be haveing problems
When people have a problem, they like to log on and announce it. Not very many who people *don't* have a problem bother to log on and announce it like you did.

Kahr sells over 26,000 guns a year - we see reports here of a tiny fraction that have problems. And we see bogus reports here too, such as the guy who complained that his Kahr's pickup rail was machined at an angle. Some people who have unfired Kahrs even complain about them.
Cowart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:39   #20
ca survivor

to me you the right thing by returning it, no reason a gun should do that or be that nasty inside, if is a new gun, but I don't like Kahrs any way.
ca survivor is offline   Reply With Quote