Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:47   #1
thud916

Looking for a good read

I like historical non-fiction like Steel Inferno by Michael Reynolds and action fiction like Tom Clancy. Any suggestions?
thud916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 19:25   #2
waynokarider01

I haven't read much non-fiction lately. What does come to my mind when talking about history is Web Griffin. He has written a couple of series that have a great deal of history woven into the stories. The Brotherhood of War is 9 books long, and The Corps is 10 books long. Its great if you can read them all in order, but he does a really good job of providing enough info to make each book able to stand alone. Those books almost put you right in the middle of the war.
waynokarider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 22:48   #3
glock75

Look at Vince Flynn's Mitch Rapp series. The main character is a super hero and a bit unbelievable at times, but the scenaros are current world and excellent. Flynn does great research. Past presidents are readers of his book as well as many in the Homeland Security. They are exciting books.
glock75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 22:52   #4
gunslinger3
Μολὼν λαβέ

Lone Survivor

http://www.amazon.com/Lone-Survivor-.../dp/0316067598
gunslinger3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 00:20   #5
John43

80629:A Mengele Experiment, the story of Jack Oran, passed away now, business man in Dallas area.
John43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 19:43   #6
squiddie545

Quote:
Originally Posted by thud916 View Post
I like historical non-fiction like Steel Inferno by Michael Reynolds and action fiction like Tom Clancy. Any suggestions?
For Historical Non fiction:

"Killing Pablo" - whacking escobar
"with the old breed" - a classic, must reread several times.
"the Gun" - chivers, history of the AK
"one bullet away" - recon in OIF
civie version - "generation kill"
dude, how about reading books from the USMC Commandant's Reading List?

For Historical fiction:

Conn Iggulden's Genghis Khan's series - birth of an empire, lords of the bow, etc - it will make you appreciate what the mongol's accomplish. for e.g., they mounted the only successful winter assault through Russia. i recommend doing a books on tape on this one; the reader is awesome and gives life to the characters quite well.

Simon Scarrow's Roman Legion series - hard not read the whole series, make's one want to sign up and carry a gladius around.

Have fun reading.
squiddie545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:19   #7
Sundown

I just finished, "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy. It was different, but I thought it was pretty good. It took me some time to get accustomed to his writing style, but after I made the adjustment, I was able to cruise right through it. I found myself unable to.put it down once I started and finished it in just a few hours.

It is the story of a father and his son and their journey to somewhere else in a post-apocalyptic world. It kind of delves into a father's love for his son and the extent that he will go to to ensure his son's survival. Good story.

423 495 LK23 LK101 LK121 LK135
Sundown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 18:07   #8
Dozerdog

Send a message via ICQ to Dozerdog
Quote:
Originally Posted by glock75 View Post
Look at Vince Flynn's Mitch Rapp series. The main character is a super hero and a bit unbelievable at times, but the scenaros are current world and excellent. Flynn does great research. Past presidents are readers of his book as well as many in the Homeland Security. They are exciting books.
Huge +1!
I discovered Vince Flynn about 6 weeks ago and can't get enough!
I really liked the Clancy novels, and when I burned thru them, I needed something else similar. Mitch Rapp is great! They should make some movies of these novels.
Dozerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 18:12   #9
eXistenZ
Play it.

I've read a lot of Tom Clancy in my time and enjoyed it but I enjoyed Clive Cussler more. I would recommend heading to the first of his books and start reading from there as they all seem to be connected in one way or another. They made the movie Sahara from one of his books but please don't let that stop you from reading the book, as usual the book is much much better.
eXistenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 18:17   #10
DaveG

Search the author "Lee Child". Your tastes sound similar to mine and I love this guy....
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 18:30   #11
G26AZ

+1 on W.E.B. Griffin's series. I've read 3 or 4 of them, I think. Brotherhood of War, The Corps, and the one about the Philadelphia Police Department (can't remember the name at the moment), currently working on the series about the OSS. He does a good job of weaving true historical characters and battles, etc., into the fictional characters in the stories.
G26AZ is offline   Reply With Quote