GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 00:56   #1
High-Gear
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Kansas
Posts: 743
Biblical definition of marriage.

I often hear people say, "The bible defines marriage as being between one man and one woman.".

Could someone tell me where it says this?

I found this amusing post with a video half way down. It describes some of the marriages in the bible.

http://samuel-warde.com/2012/08/bibl...conservatives/
__________________
Ĉu vi parolas Esperanton?
High-Gear is offline  
Old 10-03-2012, 06:36   #2
FCoulter
Senior Member
 
FCoulter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 986
http://www.ucg.org/files/booklets/pdf/marriage-and-family-the-missing-dimension.pdf
FCoulter is offline  
Old 10-03-2012, 08:22   #3
snowbird
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: land of the free
Posts: 3,573
Mark 10: 7-9

"For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and cleave to his wife;
And they twain shall be one flesh: so then they are no more twain, but one flesh.
What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder."
__________________
"Speak softly and carry a big stick"
-T. Roosevelt, President 1901-09, US soldier, martial artist, hiker, agriculteral worker, and conservationist, among other things.
snowbird is offline  
Old 10-03-2012, 09:20   #4
Glock36shooter
Senior Member
 
Glock36shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbird View Post
Mark 10: 7-9

"For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and cleave to his wife;
And they twain shall be one flesh: so then they are no more twain, but one flesh.
What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder."
Ain't it funny how more than 50% get put asunder?
Glock36shooter is offline  
Old 10-03-2012, 09:34   #5
High-Gear
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Kansas
Posts: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbird View Post
Mark 10: 7-9

"For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and cleave to his wife;
And they twain shall be one flesh: so then they are no more twain, but one flesh.
What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder."
This does not say a man can have only one wife.
__________________
Ĉu vi parolas Esperanton?
High-Gear is offline  
Old 10-03-2012, 09:49   #6
snowbird
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: land of the free
Posts: 3,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by High-Gear View Post
This does not say a man can have only one wife.
"Twain" means "two".

So we have one man, and one wife (that means "woman" -these terms have to be defined in this corrupt age) becoming one flesh ( that means "married"). Now back when I went to school, one plus one equaled two. YMMV, evidently.
__________________
"Speak softly and carry a big stick"
-T. Roosevelt, President 1901-09, US soldier, martial artist, hiker, agriculteral worker, and conservationist, among other things.
snowbird is offline  
Old 10-03-2012, 09:59   #7
Blast
'nuff said
 
Blast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: NKY/Cincinnati area
Posts: 20,892


Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock36shooter View Post
Ain't it funny how more than 50% get put asunder?
Ain't it funny how 100% of the 50% put asunder is human caused?

Funny thing human nature.
__________________
A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be - Albert Einstein
Blast is offline  
Old 10-03-2012, 10:01   #8
Blast
'nuff said
 
Blast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: NKY/Cincinnati area
Posts: 20,892


Quote:
Originally Posted by High-Gear View Post
This does not say a man can have only one wife.
"cleave to his wife", not wives.
__________________
A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be - Albert Einstein
Blast is offline  
Old 10-03-2012, 10:08   #9
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot
 
Geko45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Short final
Posts: 14,756


Ain't it funny how theists want the legal definition of marriage to match their interpretation of the bible even though we have separation of church and state in this country?
__________________
Peace is our profession, war is just a hobby...


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Geko45 is online now  
Old 10-03-2012, 10:11   #10
Brucev
Senior Member
 
Brucev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 9,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock36shooter View Post
Ain't it funny how more than 50% get put asunder?
Funny? Not to those whose marriages fail. Beyond initial attraction, common interest, etc., enduring relationships require hard work. As well long-term marriage is difficult in a post-modern western society that values immediacy over permanence and idolizes the individual over relationship.
Brucev is offline  
Old 10-03-2012, 12:39   #11
Glock36shooter
Senior Member
 
Glock36shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast View Post
Ain't it funny how 100% of the 50% put asunder is human caused?

Funny thing human nature.
Agreed. My point is that it's an outdated concept.
Glock36shooter is offline  
Old 10-03-2012, 12:46   #12
Glock36shooter
Senior Member
 
Glock36shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucev View Post
Funny? Not to those whose marriages fail. Beyond initial attraction, common interest, etc., enduring relationships require hard work. As well long-term marriage is difficult in a post-modern western society that values immediacy over permanence and idolizes the individual over relationship.
People were never meant to mate for life. It's just not in our nature. That's why it's such hard work. You're working against your nature. Men naturally want multiple women. Biblically speaking marriage is about property rights. And that property is the woman. I agree that as far as religion is concerned marriage is only between a man and a woman. But it isn't a bond. It is a right of ownership of a woman. She is passed as the possession of her father to her new owner her husband.

Women are no longer property. And marriage no longer works as an institution. Your's might (With a lot of hard work). But the institution as a whole fails the majority of the time.
Glock36shooter is offline  
Old 10-03-2012, 13:03   #13
Keyhole
Senior Member
 
Keyhole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbird View Post
"Twain" means "two".

So we have one man, and one wife (that means "woman" -these terms have to be defined in this corrupt age) becoming one flesh ( that means "married"). Now back when I went to school, one plus one equaled two. YMMV, evidently.
Ok...but the Gospel of Mark didn't really say that, did it? It said whatever it said in Koine Greek when it was written by an unknown person in or around 70 AD. The original document no longer exists, so what you are referring to is a Koine Greek to English translation of the combination of several surviving, later copies of the Gospel of Mark...copies that happen to disagree with each other in multiple ways (example being significant variants in Mark 16).
__________________
G17, G19 RTF2G, G21C, G26, G30 & G34
NRA (Endowment), GSSF (Life), NRA Instructor, NRA CRSO, Glock Armorer, Texas CHL, IDPA (SO), ICORE, TSRA
Keyhole is offline  
Old 10-03-2012, 13:21   #14
pipedreams
Member
 
pipedreams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 3,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock36shooter View Post
Agreed. My point is that it's an outdated concept.
Yes, to some people everything is outdated. Marriage, the Constitution, the pledge allegiance, prayer in schools and the list goes on and on.
__________________
NRA Patron Member
GOA Life Member


Never look down on anybody, unless you're helping them up.
pipedreams is offline  
Old 10-03-2012, 13:49   #15
9jeeps
Fogey
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: at the end of the road
Posts: 4,343
HO BOY! Here we go again. Every one I know that goes to church every Saturday or Sunday and studies the Scriptures every day or so have no problem understanding what marriage is.

It's the so called hair splitters and folks who have never sat in a pew or read a page of scripture that seem to have the problem with marriage and most of other life too. If the truth be known.

I have room in my mind to understand there are a few who will study Scripture just to find holes in it. Wherein the biggest hole is betwixed the ears.

FYI!!! Scripture gets studied daily, weekly, monthly, etc for over 2K years. Scripture has stood up to every investigation and still is being sought by Billions. And not all of them are stupid. Wish I could say that about the Baboon Theory.
__________________
FOGEY
Trying to make
sense of it all.

Last edited by 9jeeps; 10-03-2012 at 13:50..
9jeeps is offline  
Old 10-03-2012, 14:04   #16
Glock36shooter
Senior Member
 
Glock36shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9jeeps View Post
Scripture has stood up to every investigation and still is being sought by Billions. And not all of them are stupid. Wish I could say that about the Baboon Theory.
This is simply a lie. It can't even be defended by suggesting you're uneducated. It's just a plain lie.
Glock36shooter is offline  
Old 10-03-2012, 14:06   #17
Glock36shooter
Senior Member
 
Glock36shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipedreams View Post
Yes, to some people everything is outdated. Marriage, the Constitution, the pledge allegiance, prayer in schools and the list goes on and on.
Marriage has a greater than 50% failure rate. Would you invest your money in a stock with that kind of success rate? I doubt it.


Prayer never did or ever will have a place in public school. It is child abuse.

Last edited by Glock36shooter; 10-03-2012 at 14:10..
Glock36shooter is offline  
Old 10-03-2012, 14:06   #18
Beware Owner
NOT a victim.
 
Beware Owner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9,144
It's incredible how people just want "new" things for the sake of something new, not because there's any actual value in what they do.
__________________
Free men have arms; slaves do not. Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Beware Owner is offline  
Old 10-03-2012, 14:14   #19
Gunhaver
the wrong hands
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,736
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9jeeps View Post

FYI!!! Scripture gets studied daily, weekly, monthly, etc for over 2K years. Scripture has stood up to every investigation and still is being sought by Billions. And not all of them are stupid. Wish I could say that about the Baboon Theory.
People are still sending money to Nigerian princes and buying into pyramid schemes so I guess you could say that those things have stood up to every investigation too. Betting everything on a nice story because it makes them feel good. All of them are stupid.
Gunhaver is offline  
Old 10-03-2012, 14:26   #20
Gunhaver
the wrong hands
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,736
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock36shooter View Post
People were never meant to mate for life. It's just not in our nature. That's why it's such hard work. You're working against your nature. Men naturally want multiple women. Biblically speaking marriage is about property rights. And that property is the woman. I agree that as far as religion is concerned marriage is only between a man and a woman. But it isn't a bond. It is a right of ownership of a woman. She is passed as the possession of her father to her new owner her husband.

Women are no longer property. And marriage no longer works as an institution. Your's might (With a lot of hard work). But the institution as a whole fails the majority of the time.
I have 2 girlfriends. Everyone knows the situation and no one is being lied to or cheated on. They call it polyamory but I call it non-monogamy. Does it work? Of course it does because anybody that gets whiny about some need not being met is free to go out and find someone to meet that need. Surprisingly, when you find a couple of un-entitled women that have their own thing going on instead of looking for some man to fulfill her or align themselves with all her goals or any of that other silly garbage that women are brainwashed to do there aren't many problems with jealousy or resentment.

Frankly, I have no interest in all the work that goes into a strong marriage. I much prefer burning off that excess energy in another bedroom. Call me crazy.
Gunhaver is offline  

 
  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 16:39.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,005
296 Members
709 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31