SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 00:56   #1
High-Gear

Biblical definition of marriage.

I often hear people say, "The bible defines marriage as being between one man and one woman.".

Could someone tell me where it says this?

I found this amusing post with a video half way down. It describes some of the marriages in the bible.

http://samuel-warde.com/2012/08/bibl...conservatives/
Old 10-03-2012, 06:36   #2
FCoulter

http://www.ucg.org/files/booklets/pdf/marriage-and-family-the-missing-dimension.pdf
Old 10-03-2012, 08:22   #3
snowbird

Mark 10: 7-9

"For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and cleave to his wife;
And they twain shall be one flesh: so then they are no more twain, but one flesh.
What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder."
Old 10-03-2012, 09:20   #4
Glock36shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbird View Post

"For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and cleave to his wife;
And they twain shall be one flesh: so then they are no more twain, but one flesh.
Ain't it funny how more than 50% get put asunder?
Old 10-03-2012, 09:34   #5
High-Gear

Quote:

This does not say a man can have only one wife.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:49   #6
snowbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by High-Gear View Post
"Twain" means "two".

So we have one man, and one wife (that means "woman" -these terms have to be defined in this corrupt age) becoming one flesh ( that means "married"). Now back when I went to school, one plus one equaled two. YMMV, evidently.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:59   #7
Blast
'nuff said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock36shooter View Post
Ain't it funny how 100% of the 50% put asunder is human caused?

Funny thing human nature.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:01   #8
Blast
'nuff said

Quote:
Originally Posted by High-Gear View Post
"cleave to his wife", not wives.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:08   #9
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Ain't it funny how theists want the legal definition of marriage to match their interpretation of the bible even though we have separation of church and state in this country?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:11   #10
Brucev

Quote:
Funny? Not to those whose marriages fail. Beyond initial attraction, common interest, etc., enduring relationships require hard work. As well long-term marriage is difficult in a post-modern western society that values immediacy over permanence and idolizes the individual over relationship.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:39   #11
Glock36shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast View Post
Ain't it funny how 100% of the 50% put asunder is human caused?

Funny thing human nature.
Agreed. My point is that it's an outdated concept.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:46   #12
Glock36shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucev View Post
Funny? Not to those whose marriages fail. Beyond initial attraction, common interest, etc., enduring relationships require hard work. As well long-term marriage is difficult in a post-modern western society that values immediacy over permanence and idolizes the individual over relationship.
People were never meant to mate for life. It's just not in our nature. That's why it's such hard work. You're working against your nature. Men naturally want multiple women. Biblically speaking marriage is about property rights. And that property is the woman. I agree that as far as religion is concerned marriage is only between a man and a woman. But it isn't a bond. It is a right of ownership of a woman. She is passed as the possession of her father to her new owner her husband.

Women are no longer property. And marriage no longer works as an institution. Your's might (With a lot of hard work). But the institution as a whole fails the majority of the time.
Old 10-03-2012, 13:03   #13
Keyhole

Quote:
"Twain" means "two".

So we have one man, and one wife (that means "woman" -these terms have to be defined in this corrupt age) becoming one flesh ( that means "married"). Now back when I went to school, one plus one equaled two. YMMV, evidently.
Ok...but the Gospel of Mark didn't really say that, did it? It said whatever it said in Koine Greek when it was written by an unknown person in or around 70 AD. The original document no longer exists, so what you are referring to is a Koine Greek to English translation of the combination of several surviving, later copies of the Gospel of Mark...copies that happen to disagree with each other in multiple ways (example being significant variants in Mark 16).
Old 10-03-2012, 13:21   #14
pipedreams

Quote:
Agreed. My point is that it's an outdated concept.
Yes, to some people everything is outdated. Marriage, the Constitution, the pledge allegiance, prayer in schools and the list goes on and on.

Never look down on anybody, unless you're helping them up.
Old 10-03-2012, 13:49   #15
9jeeps
Fogey

HO BOY! Here we go again. Every one I know that goes to church every Saturday or Sunday and studies the Scriptures every day or so have no problem understanding what marriage is.

It's the so called hair splitters and folks who have never sat in a pew or read a page of scripture that seem to have the problem with marriage and most of other life too. If the truth be known.

I have room in my mind to understand there are a few who will study Scripture just to find holes in it. Wherein the biggest hole is betwixed the ears.

FYI!!! Scripture gets studied daily, weekly, monthly, etc for over 2K years. Scripture has stood up to every investigation and still is being sought by Billions. And not all of them are stupid. Wish I could say that about the Baboon Theory.

Last edited by 9jeeps; 10-03-2012 at 13:50..
Old 10-03-2012, 14:04   #16
Glock36shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9jeeps View Post
Scripture has stood up to every investigation and still is being sought by Billions. And not all of them are stupid. Wish I could say that about the Baboon Theory.
This is simply a lie. It can't even be defended by suggesting you're uneducated. It's just a plain lie.
Old 10-03-2012, 14:06   #17
Glock36shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipedreams View Post
Yes, to some people everything is outdated. Marriage, the Constitution, the pledge allegiance, prayer in schools and the list goes on and on.
Marriage has a greater than 50% failure rate. Would you invest your money in a stock with that kind of success rate? I doubt it.

Prayer never did or ever will have a place in public school. It is child abuse.

Last edited by Glock36shooter; 10-03-2012 at 14:10..
Old 10-03-2012, 14:06   #18
Beware Owner
NOT a victim.

It's incredible how people just want "new" things for the sake of something new, not because there's any actual value in what they do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Old 10-03-2012, 14:14   #19
Gunhaver
the wrong hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9jeeps View Post

FYI!!! Scripture gets studied daily, weekly, monthly, etc for over 2K years. Scripture has stood up to every investigation and still is being sought by Billions. And not all of them are stupid. Wish I could say that about the Baboon Theory.
People are still sending money to Nigerian princes and buying into pyramid schemes so I guess you could say that those things have stood up to every investigation too. Betting everything on a nice story because it makes them feel good. All of them are stupid.
Old 10-03-2012, 14:26   #20
Gunhaver
the wrong hands

Quote:
People were never meant to mate for life. It's just not in our nature. That's why it's such hard work. You're working against your nature. Men naturally want multiple women. Biblically speaking marriage is about property rights. And that property is the woman. I agree that as far as religion is concerned marriage is only between a man and a woman. But it isn't a bond. It is a right of ownership of a woman. She is passed as the possession of her father to her new owner her husband.

Women are no longer property. And marriage no longer works as an institution. Your's might (With a lot of hard work). But the institution as a whole fails the majority of the time.
I have 2 girlfriends. Everyone knows the situation and no one is being lied to or cheated on. They call it polyamory but I call it non-monogamy. Does it work? Of course it does because anybody that gets whiny about some need not being met is free to go out and find someone to meet that need. Surprisingly, when you find a couple of un-entitled women that have their own thing going on instead of looking for some man to fulfill her or align themselves with all her goals or any of that other silly garbage that women are brainwashed to do there aren't many problems with jealousy or resentment.

Frankly, I have no interest in all the work that goes into a strong marriage. I much prefer burning off that excess energy in another bedroom. Call me crazy.

Closed Thread