Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-13-2012, 17:07   #1
captaintrips

29 Conversion

Hey guys, I've had my 29sf for a couple weeks and I LOVE it. I have been thinking of getting a .40 barrel for it for the range and I have a few questions.

What is the most reliable approach? I have no plans to ever use the .40 for SD but I would like something that works...well...like a Glock....(I know I should buy a 27, I will, after the wife gets a full kitchen renovation.....)

Should I get a factory Glock barrel (the 27??)? Or should i look at a Lone Wolf or another manufacture?

Any other major (or minor) concerns with the conversion that I need to know?

thanks!
captaintrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:37   #2
whitebread
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

You need a "conversion barrel." The G27 barrel will not fit the G29. Look at KKM, Lone Wolf, Storm Lake, Bar-Sto, etc. They all make "10mm-to-40 S&W" conversion barrels. You will simply use your 10mm magazines and load .40 S&W cartridges into it.
whitebread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:45   #3
whitebread
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To expand on my above post in case you are wondering, the G27 barrel will not fit a G29 because the ejection port is a different size, the barrel outside diameter is different, the locking lugs are different sizes, etc. Even the barrel lengths are different! Basically all aspects of the two barrels are dimensionally different.

Last edited by whitebread; 09-14-2012 at 07:46..
whitebread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:54   #4
G29SFWTF

I don't have a conversion barrel but I have a KKM for my G29SF. I liked it so much I bought a KKM for my G19. Both are very accurate. I have thought about getting a conversion barrel, not sure if there is another one in my budget but it seems it would turn the 29 into a nice heavy duty 40.
G29SFWTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:47   #5
alwaysshootin

captaintrips, food for thought! The KKM conversion barrel is $165 plus shipping, whatever that might be. How about spending less money, and getting a reloading set up, and just keep shooting 10MM's? Like I said, just a thought. Remember, you can load 10MM cheaper than buying 40 S&W ammo!
Old 09-15-2012, 21:54   #6
pasky2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by G29SFWTF View Post
I don't have a conversion barrel but I have a KKM for my G29SF. I liked it so much I bought a KKM for my G19. Both are very accurate. I have thought about getting a conversion barrel, not sure if there is another one in my budget but it seems it would turn the 29 into a nice heavy duty 40.
Have you tried shooting .40 out of your G29 stk or AM bbl? I have and do all the time with great results. No conversion bbl. I load them myself to about 1.20" OAL. But if you don't reload your .40 cases, std factory ammo works just fine. Ppl will argue you can't or shouldn't do this and others, like myself do it without issues. It's a preference issue, IMO. As a side note, I do dry brush my chamber out afterwards or use a snake to get any unburned powder or other debris that may remain in the front of the chamber. This is mostly if i shoot 100+ .40 rnds and then switch to 10mm. The brush that comes with your Glock will suffice. Nothing fancy needed. But DO clean that chamber so the longer 10mm cases have a nice clean home. Now, some will argue it beats up on the extractor. I took mine out after about 500 rnds+ to get a magnified 360 look at it... no probs. I shoot 200-300 "40-in10" rnds almost every week.
I think your G29 will take a bigger beating from hot max 10mm loads more-so than .40's. YMMV..just food for thought. But neither have given me problems in my G20.

The Glock 10mm is such a solid versatile platform.

Last edited by pasky2112; 09-16-2012 at 11:48.. Reason: changed 'only' to 'mostly'; chamber cleaning
pasky2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 22:35   #7
G29SFWTF

That's interesting. I'd like to be able to shoot .40's with no barrel change. I might be willing to risk the factory barrel but probably not the KKM, and extractors are $18 or so even if it got damaged. More concerning to me is safety but I'm not sure what could go wrong.
G29SFWTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:59   #8
dm1906
Retired SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by G29SFWTF View Post
That's interesting. I'd like to be able to shoot .40's with no barrel change. I might be willing to risk the factory barrel but probably not the KKM, and extractors are $18 or so even if it got damaged. More concerning to me is safety but I'm not sure what could go wrong.
As Pasky said, just shoot 'em. I have thousands rounds through several 10mm barrels, including OEM's. If you break an extractor, it would have broke no matter what you were shooting. The Glock design head spaces on the extractor, no matter what you stuff in there. The chamber depth is a back-up. Definitely clean the chamber after a bunch of .40's, or a 10 may not chamber when you need it. I would NOT suggest relying on .40's in your 10 for SD or CCW, but wouldn't hesitate to shove in a mag of .40 if I had to (even in a G22 mag, which fits and works, BTW). The WORST thing that may happen, is it doesn't fire. The only time you may see that is if you hand-rack a round already chambered. The aftermarket barrels have their qualities. Shooting .40 in a 10 isn't one of them (exclusively).
Old 09-16-2012, 12:24   #9
pasky2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm1906 View Post
As Pasky said, just shoot 'em. I have thousands rounds through several 10mm barrels, including OEM's. If you break an extractor, it would have broke no matter what you were shooting. The Glock design head spaces on the extractor, no matter what you stuff in there. The chamber depth is a back-up. Definitely clean the chamber after a bunch of .40's, or a 10 may not chamber when you need it. I would NOT suggest relying on .40's in your 10 for SD or CCW, but wouldn't hesitate to shove in a mag of .40 if I had to (even in a G22 mag, which fits and works, BTW). The WORST thing that may happen, is it doesn't fire. The only time you may see that is if you hand-rack a round already chambered. The aftermarket barrels have their qualities. Shooting .40 in a 10 isn't one of them (exclusively).
dm1906, I'll have to try the G22 mags... thanks. That'd work out great. Just to be clear re: my previous post, I don't use ANY handloads for SD/HD in any weapon.
OP/G29SFWTF, I use the .40's in my G20 for practice only. I usually leave the range with more .40 brass than I came with so it's economical too. Most of the fun is discovering what's best for you, yourself. ;-) Do what makes you feel safer. Maybe save that $$ and look into reloading, assuming u don't already?
All this is to say I don't use a conversion bbl to shoot .40's in my G20 but only for a specific purpose/reason.
pasky2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 13:00   #10
dm1906
Retired SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasky2112 View Post
dm1906, I'll have to try the G22 mags... thanks. That'd work out great. Just to be clear re: my previous post, I don't use ANY handloads for SD/HD in any weapon.
OP/G29SFWTF, I use the .40's in my G20 for practice only. I usually leave the range with more .40 brass than I came with so it's economical too. Most of the fun is discovering what's best for you, yourself. ;-) Do what makes you feel safer. Maybe save that $$ and look into reloading, assuming u don't already?
All this is to say I don't use a conversion bbl to shoot .40's in my G20 but only for a specific purpose/reason.
Of course, just because you can do something doesn't mean you should, at least in every situation. I don't have a .40 conversion barrel, and won't buy one. I shoot .40's in my 10's and in my .40's, because I can, and no other reason. I like my Gen3 G20 (non SF). I have XXXL hands, so it's a natural. The G22 is small, to me, and so is a 1911. Desert Eagle fits fine, though. I don't like the feel of the Gen4 pistols. Too small, and don't "fit", even with the largest backstrap. As I said, you can shoot .40's in your G20, but I suggest limiting it to ONLY range/target shooting. Not to say you couldn't/shouldn't do it when the ****e hits the blower. The G22 mags fit, but very loose. If it locks in, it's fine. If your mags or catch are worn (rounded off), they may not. If mags are worn out, Glock will replace them. If your catch is worn out, they're $3 at Glockmeister. Even with well used mags, a new catch will usually work fine. If they don't lock in, you can still hold them in (tea-cup) and they cycle fine. Again, not saying you should use G22 mags in your G20, only that you can, if you have to. "A man's got to know his limitations...."

I shoot more than 30 calibers/cartridges (never really counted, but it's at least that many), and I haven't spent $200 on "ammo" in the last 30+ years, if that says anything....

Using or not using handloads for SD/Carry is a personal choice. I carry handloads, but I do not recommend others do the same. Those I know who insist get their ammo from me, so I know what they have (and shoot them through).
Old 09-20-2012, 06:15   #11
Grizzz

40 mag in g20-g29

I tried my g24 mag in my g20 & g29 & the mag locks in but when u rack the slide the mag drops out & doesn't feed a round. Didn't try the tea cup hold !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm1906 View Post
Of course, just because you can do something doesn't mean you should, at least in every situation. I don't have a .40 conversion barrel, and won't buy one. I shoot .40's in my 10's and in my .40's, because I can, and no other reason. I like my Gen3 G20 (non SF). I have XXXL hands, so it's a natural. The G22 is small, to me, and so is a 1911. Desert Eagle fits fine, though. I don't like the feel of the Gen4 pistols. Too small, and don't "fit", even with the largest backstrap. As I said, you can shoot .40's in your G20, but I suggest limiting it to ONLY range/target shooting. Not to say you couldn't/shouldn't do it when the ****e hits the blower. The G22 mags fit, but very loose. If it locks in, it's fine. If your mags or catch are worn (rounded off), they may not. If mags are worn out, Glock will replace them. If your catch is worn out, they're $3 at Glockmeister. Even with well used mags, a new catch will usually work fine. If they don't lock in, you can still hold them in (tea-cup) and they cycle fine. Again, not saying you should use G22 mags in your G20, only that you can, if you have to. "A man's got to know his limitations...."

I shoot more than 30 calibers/cartridges (never really counted, but it's at least that many), and I haven't spent $200 on "ammo" in the last 30+ years, if that says anything....

Using or not using handloads for SD/Carry is a personal choice. I carry handloads, but I do not recommend others do the same. Those I know who insist get their ammo from me, so I know what they have (and shoot them through).
Old 09-20-2012, 07:17   #12
dm1906
Retired SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzz View Post
I tried my g24 mag in my g20 & g29 & the mag locks in but when u rack the slide the mag drops out & doesn't feed a round. Didn't try the tea cup hold !!
I have a couple mags that will do that. Using the wrong mags is not a good idea, just a thought to stash in your survival bag. Did a round chamber and fire?
Old 09-20-2012, 10:11   #13
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
I'd take that ~$150 and put it towards a reloading setup. It will pay itself off in several months if you shoot a lot and in a year or so if you don't... but you'll be a better person for it.

If you MUST INSIST on buying a conversion barrel, get the cheapest one you can find ... it doesn't have to be anything special. LW comes to mind... (or one of the old Federal, Storm Lake or EFK barrels on clearance if you can find one)
10 Ring #1033 - Longslide #1045 - 10mm Loader #1066

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Why do I carry a 10mm?
“Because a 9mm only kills your body… the 10mm kills your soul.”
nickE10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:14   #14
agtman
10mm Spartiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickE10mm View Post
I'd take that ~$150 and put it towards a reloading setup. It will pay itself off in several months if you shoot a lot and in a year or so if you don't... but you'll be a better person for it.

If you MUST INSIST on buying a conversion barrel, get the cheapest one you can find ... it doesn't have to be anything special. LW comes to mind... (or one of the old Federal, Storm Lake or EFK barrels on clearance if you can find one)
Agree, ... but "cheapest" doesn't have to mean "shoots the worst."

Actually, the relatively inexpensive LWD .40 tube for my G29, like the old (and now defunct) Federal Arms barrel for my G20 (cost then was, IIRC, $80), shoots better with average .40 fodder than any dedicated .40 guns I've shot, except perhaps one Sig 229 that was a surprisingly tight shooter.

Just sayin' ...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by agtman; 09-21-2012 at 06:14..
agtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:33   #15
07hemi4me

I purchased a LWD .40 conversion barrel for my G29, I have only put about 50 rds thru it. Since Im reloading now I just shoot 10mm, I see no reason to shoot .40 S&W.

If anyone wants to trade a Threaded 10mm (G29SF) for a LWD .40 conversion barrel let me know.

Finally got my suppressor last week and I have been having a Blast with it and want to try it on my 10mm.
07hemi4me is offline   Reply With Quote