Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-16-2012, 17:10   #1
mike g35

USPSA rifle suggestions

I'm looking into getting into 3 gun and USPSA rifle. Ive been looking for a "relatively" inexpensive rifle and I've came up with these options:
1. JP 15
2.STAG 3G
3.STI Sporting rifle
4.Black Rain PG11
Your thoughts and opinions? I listed those in the order I'm considering them in.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Old 09-16-2012, 18:02   #2
Fwdftw

For a competition gun, id say it would be better to build it around you.. not something some company has labeled a 3 gun ar15.
Fwdftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 19:16   #3
G23Adam
.- -.. .- --

IMHO build yourself a 16-18" middy upper with a 13" rail on it, highly recommend the SJC Comp. and Troy rail.

Nice 1-4x optic with a side saddle red dot.

Huge tac latch on the charging handle of your choice.

It would be nice on a Noveske lower with the huge mag funnel on there. Go with a MOE or STR stock, depending on what you like in a cheek weld.

Sling it the way you like, and feed it lots of ammo.

Good luck, and have fun
NRA Member - GSSF Member - .40 S&W Club #133 - 1911 Club #133 - Freemason's Lodge #133 - Black Rifle Club #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by G23Adam; 09-16-2012 at 19:28..
G23Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 21:26   #4
samuse

It depends on how far you'll likely be shooting.

If you're gonna be out at 200+, magnification and good trigger will go a long way.

The clubs I shoot at only go out to around 100. I just shoot a 14.5" carbine M4gery type gun and do fine but it takes more work on my part.

Shoot what you like. I hate race guns, so I shoot my 'everyday' stuff.

Quote:
You suck at...well, everything so far.
samuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:15   #5
mike g35

Quote:
Originally Posted by G23Adam View Post
IMHO build yourself a 16-18" middy upper with a 13" rail on it, highly recommend the SJC Comp. and Troy rail.

Nice 1-4x optic with a side saddle red dot.

Huge tac latch on the charging handle of your choice.

It would be nice on a Noveske lower with the huge mag funnel on there. Go with a MOE or STR stock, depending on what you like in a cheek weld.

Sling it the way you like, and feed it lots of ammo.

Good luck, and have fun
Thanks for all the ideas and info. Max range for me will be 200 yards or so, so a good barrel, optic, and trigger is a must. Looked at the SJC comp, thanks for that. I'm VERY familiar with their Glock line. Didn't know about the larger magwell on the noveske lower either. Looks like I have more research to do, I'll keep shooting my M4 for now.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Old 09-17-2012, 06:54   #6
G23Adam
.- -.. .- --

I didn't mention a trigger, as they are extremely personal preference, but for shooting a stage, I prefer the Timney dropins. Very light, enough hammer to pop the primer reliably, and a pretty quick lock time, well felt reset point...

Start collecting parts, you'll have it together eventually
NRA Member - GSSF Member - .40 S&W Club #133 - 1911 Club #133 - Freemason's Lodge #133 - Black Rifle Club #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
G23Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 17:54   #7
Aiden

On your list, I like the JP the most. I've been in the market for a 3gun AR for awhile, and I've been hitting up friends who own most of the popular guns/parts so I can get some feedback on them.

If you could, find someone who has the Geissele 3G trigger. It's a slightly different kind of trigger, and it comes with the Stag 3G. I personally like it, but out of the different competition triggers I've tried, I like the JP single stage the most. Geissele is a close second, but I'm not nearly skilled enough to shoot that trigger as quickly as it can be pulled. Like G23Adam said, a trigger is a very personal thing.

That aside, I'm piecing together my own rather than buying a built one, partially because I want to shoot irons only, and partially because my budget has been cut in half, so it's cheaper to build what I want, or at least build some of it.