SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-16-2012, 19:44   #1
toshbar
Timber Baron

Bought a used AR, a few Qs.

Guys, I bought a used AR yesterday and would like some help identifying if it is a complete factory Bushmaster rifle or a lower with a franken upper.

Black Rifle Forum

Black Rifle Forum

FSB reads: G02(R1)1 and does not have a bayo lug
Black Rifle Forum

Pretty sure this brake is not factory as the pin holding it on is far too wide and not centered to be something from the factory. It works great and reduces all muzzle jump while shooting offhand.
Black Rifle Forum

Barrel markings
Black Rifle Forum
2 4 R

toshbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 19:44   #2
toshbar
Timber Baron

Definitely a HBAR. Yes, I know the handguards are not factory. They are First Samco polymer ones with rails under the rubber covers.
Black Rifle Forum

Gas Key Staking
Black Rifle Forum

Underside of the bolt carrier. I couldn't find any markings on it.
Black Rifle Forum

Marks on the charging handle. These could just be scratches, but I wasn't sure.
Black Rifle Forum

B on the hammer
Black Rifle Forum

2 and F inside the pistol grip. Hex screw has "YD" on it.
Black Rifle Forum

Let me know if there is anything else I could look for to verify manufacturer.

If anyone could tell me what the markings are, I'd appreciate it. Either way, I got a deal on the rifle and if it isn't 100% factory Bushmaster(other than obvious handguards and muzzle brake), I still made out well. It fires great - 4MOA with Tula steel case 55gr and 2MOA with handloaded 72gr. That was with the factory 12MOA front sight and gritty 8-9lb trigger.
2 4 R

Last edited by toshbar; 09-16-2012 at 19:51..
Old 09-16-2012, 20:13   #3
toshbar
Timber Baron

Update:

Did some looking around and it is an Olympic upper with a Bushmaster HBAR. Still not sure about the BC or FSB/Gas Block.
2 4 R

Old 09-16-2012, 20:16   #4
Fwdftw

whatcha pay?
Fwdftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 20:21   #5
mjkeat

The best thing about AR forums such as this one is there is always someone available to answer questions around the clock. That way if someone needs quick purchasing information it can be had fairly quick so nobody is ill-informed while dropping cash on an AR.
mjkeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 20:38   #6
bmoore

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshbar View Post
Update:

Did some looking around and it is an Olympic upper with a Bushmaster HBAR. Still not sure about the BC or FSB/Gas Block.
Glad you got it nailed down. Sell that BCG group to the first person who gives you 80 bucks for it, then buy a PSA or BCM BCG.
Old 09-16-2012, 20:40   #7
bmoore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
The best thing about AR forums such as this one is there is always someone available to answer questions around the clock. That way if someone needs quick purchasing information it can be had fairly quick so nobody is ill-informed while dropping cash on an AR.
I agree.
Old 09-16-2012, 20:44   #8
toshbar
Timber Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwdftw View Post
whatcha pay?
What would you pay?
I paid $550.

Complete Bushy XM15 lower, Olympic upper with Bushy 20" HBAR + AK74 nine port brake, First Samco M44L handguards. No marking on the bolt carrier or bolt, I just took them apart.

I'm probably going to do some trigger work myself and put some NM sights and have a 1MOA rifle hopefully.
2 4 R

Last edited by toshbar; 09-16-2012 at 20:45..
Old 09-16-2012, 20:52   #9
G23Adam
.- -.. .- --

Why do you say it is an Oly upper?
NRA Member - GSSF Member - .40 S&W Club #133 - 1911 Club #133 - Freemason's Lodge #133 - Black Rifle Club #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
G23Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 20:54   #10
iluv2viddyfilms

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
Good point. And the photos he posted of the AR-15 were good. I'm always surprised how many people will mix and match not only uppers and lowers, but uppers and the barrels in them. Franken ARs tend to have lower resale value from what I understand, yet at the same time people at the gun ranges love to say "I built my own AR" with pride.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
videos on youtube.
iluv2viddyfilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 20:59   #11
Fwdftw

Quote:
What would you pay?
I paid $550.

Complete Bushy XM15 lower, Olympic upper with Bushy 20" HBAR + AK74 nine port brake, First Samco M44L handguards. No marking on the bolt carrier or bolt, I just took them apart.

I'm probably going to do some trigger work myself and put some NM sights and have a 1MOA rifle hopefully.
no more than 400$ IMHO. Thats just me though.
Old 09-16-2012, 21:00   #12
bmoore

Quote:
What would you pay?
I paid $550.

I am not being a jerk but before you dump 5 and a half Benny's on another one ask some questions before buying. I would have done 175-200 bucks for the complete lower and bought my own upper.

Last edited by bmoore; 09-16-2012 at 21:01..
bmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 21:03   #13
toshbar
Timber Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by G23Adam View Post
Why do you say it is an Oly upper?
The segmented 'A' next to the rear sight on the right side. I got the info from here: http://www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/uppers/
2 4 R

Old 09-16-2012, 21:05   #14
Fwdftw

yea 550 is too much 400$ was just being generous.
Old 09-16-2012, 21:09   #15
Trey83

Quote:
The segmented 'A' next to the rear sight on the right side. I got the info from here: http://www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/uppers/
All that means is it was made by Anchor Harvey Aluminum. Not necessarily Oly. My 2011 PSA upper has the splintered "A" marking.

Last edited by Trey83; 09-16-2012 at 21:12..
Trey83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 21:10   #16
toshbar
Timber Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoore View Post
I am not being a jerk but before you dump 5 and a half Benny's on another one ask some questions before buying. I would have done 175-200 bucks for the complete lower and bought my own upper.
I understand and asked the guy and he said it came as is. He could have bought it from the guy who built it, or he could be the one pulling one on me.

Where could you get a 20" HBAR upper with a nice brake/BCG for $350? No, none of it is super performance stuff, and I'm not saying I got such for what I paid, but in my mind I got my money's worth and am happy. I'm a utilitarian type and from what I did with it at the range today, I think it could easily be a 1-1.5 minute rifle with trigger work and a $14 NM front sight post, regardless of the roll marks.

Also, why sell BCG for PSA?

Thanks for all the help guys. Feel free to keep the thread alive. When I get the chance to take it out to 500 I'll try to take photos of the targets and post them.
2 4 R

Last edited by toshbar; 09-16-2012 at 21:12..
Old 09-16-2012, 21:11   #17
G23Adam
.- -.. .- --

Quote:
That's just the forge mark. A Splintered A is Anchor Harvey, They make blank forgings for everyone, so that doesn't tell you anything really.

Since you have a B marked barrel, I am going to say you have a Bushy factory rifle.

IMO $550 is a bit much, but if you're happy, that's all that counts.

Swap the hand guards out for some MOEs and maybe swap out that muzzle device and you'll have a nice stick.
NRA Member - GSSF Member - .40 S&W Club #133 - 1911 Club #133 - Freemason's Lodge #133 - Black Rifle Club #1

G23Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 21:15   #18
Fwdftw

Didnt say it wasnt nice! but i wouldnt have paid that much :D If it shoots good and you feel like you got a good deal.. thats all that matters!
Old 09-16-2012, 21:18   #19
bmoore

Quote:

Also, why sell BCG for PSA?

Its not staked very well. If it is going to be a bench gun for accuracy then I probably would not be to concerned. If it were me...........I would put a standard muzzle device on, new BCG and standard A2 or MOE handguards. But that is just me.

Last edited by bmoore; 09-16-2012 at 21:20..
bmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 21:21   #20
toshbar
Timber Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by G23Adam View Post
That's just the forge mark. A Splintered A is Anchor Harvey, They make blank forgings for everyone, so that doesn't tell you anything really.

Since you have a B marked barrel, I am going to say you have a Bushy factory rifle.

IMO $550 is a bit much, but if you're happy, that's all that counts.

Swap the hand guards out for some MOEs and maybe swap out that muzzle device and you'll have a nice stick.
"Each to his own!" said Stoner when he designed the Barbie Doll for Adult Men.......

Not going for the MOE simply because everyone has them or wants them. The ones on it now feel like I'm grabbing a pine tree trunk. They're HUGE, but not a priority to get new ones. I'd actually be fine with some standard $18 handguards as this is not going to have anything mounted on it other than a 1907 leather shooting sling.

What brake do you suggest? I was simply going to drive the pin out, shorten it to fit flush with the side of the brake, and put it back in.
2 4 R