SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-19-2012, 11:37   #1
aliasneo07

Need some help with sight heights....

Hey guys/gals,

Looking to get some new sights. I have a question that I can't really seem to find an answer for.

What is with the different sight heights? For instance, why are the sights for G20,G21, etc, higher than they are on the G17, G22, etc?

Basically what I'm looking for is something that will shoot poa/poi like my stock glock sights. That is, I want to use the dot to cover up the target and that is where the bullet will go. I am looking at Ameriglo Operators...but I've read a couple times that people have to swap the rear sight up for a taller one in order to accomplish this. But if I'm getting mine for a G21, I don't think a taller rear exists?

Another problem is warren tactical sights. I really like these but they don't list what models they are for, etc. Do all warren sights fit all Glocks?

I'm particularly interested in Ameriglo Operators though, but they are for my G21 and I want to cover up the target with front dot like I do with my stock glock sights.

Whats the deal?

Thanks everyone.
aliasneo07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 17:38   #2
aliasneo07

Anyone?
Old 09-19-2012, 18:33   #3
vis35

OK, I’ll try, here goes….

The front sight is universal, it is for all models.

For the rear sight there are really only 2 heights you need to worry about, 6.5 & 6.9MM. The 6.5MM is for almost all 9MM & .40 pistols (the exception is the 17L, it uses a 6.1MM). The 6.9MM sight is standard for all 10MM and .45 ACP pistols. Caliber wise the .357 Sig is the odd one, the G33 uses the 6.5MM rear sight, but the G32 & G31 use the 6.9MM. A 7.3MM sight is available but it is not standard for any model, it is available in case someone needs added elevation (I bought 5 of them 15 years ago, still have the all!).

I cannot comment on the aftermarket sights you listed, I have no experience with them. My experience with aftermarket Glock sights has been mostly bad so I generally stick to Glock made sights unless the customer insists.

I do not use my sights by covering the target with the dot. I just use the silhouette of the sight as a standard patridge sight.

You might look into XS “Big Dot” sights, they are available for the Glock and they are designed to shoot to the center of the “Big Dot” front sight.

Hope this helps!
- Tang Dynasty
vis35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 18:56   #4
vis35

Looking at what I just posted seems I may not have explained the “why” part of your question.

I am sure Glock would have rather just used one height of sights for all guns but the velocity differences of the different cartridges require different amounts of adjustment to get the bullet to impact on target. A 9MM bullet moving at 1150fps needs less elevation adjustment than a .45 ACP bullet at 850fps. Yes, they could have changed the angel of the barrel in the slide but that might have introduced other problems. The .357 Sig is an interesting case, I think they use a higher rear sight on the 31 & 32 because if they used the same rear sight as the 9MM the bullet would exit the muzzle before the pistol has moved up in recoil, the lower velocity of the 9MM bullet allows the pistol to recoil more before the bullet leaves the muzzle.
- Tang Dynasty
vis35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 19:16   #5
sciolist

• Theoretically, the relationship between rear and front sight heights varies slightly as a function of sight radius.
  • In reality, not all guns of the same model/make, etc. print the same.
  • Different shooters have different preferences in terms of sight picture.
  • Not all guns are zeroed at the same range.
  • Dawson offers a good selection of front heights.
sciolist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 22:25   #6
aliasneo07

Thanks fellas. Exactly what I was looking for. Much appreciated.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:44   #7
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Here's the rear sight heights, and bar codes:

Sights, Optics and Lasers

Glock front sights are .165" for the standard plastic front sight. Higher if you're using metal aftermarket sights: .215", .220", .235", and .250".

Here's an explanation of how to determine your correct front sight height from Dawson Precision:

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/image...ightHeight.pdf
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:30   #8
JBS

Sight correction calculator.

http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/Mi...rection_F2.swf
2 Corinthians 11:13-15
JBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:38   #9
cajun_chooter

i just had my sights changed on my G19/4 to the trinium FACTORY NIGHT SIGHTS..
they are awesome.... Glockmeister has then for $75.00 and install free by a Glock armourer if you send them your slide...it took a total of 9 days
cajun_chooter is offline   Reply With Quote