SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-17-2012, 23:58   #1
M&P15T
Beard One

Point of Lower 1/3 Co-Witness

What is the point to it, or why does it exist?

I have a (fake) AN-PEQ15 that I tried putting on the top of my rail, instead of on the side, and I noticed that it blocked part of the sight picture through my Eotech.

Would that be the point to taller bases/mounts that provide a lower 1/3rd co-witness? Clearing accessories mounted in front of optics?
Old 09-18-2012, 00:21   #2
Airhasz

I use taller mounts so my x3 mag clears my rear matech bius which gives me lower 1/3 CW...
Airhasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:11   #3
DaleGribble
Well Heeled Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&P15T View Post
What is the point to it, or why does it exist?
It allows the server to get more top spin on the ball making a return of the serve much more difficult. When I switched to a lower third cowitness my serve speed shot up 10mph from 130 mph to 140 mph. I really began crushing the ball, even put one straight through the net, burned a hole through it like a hot knife through buttah!!!!!

Take a breath, I'm just kidding...

It simply puts the iron sights, or your toy Peq, farther below the red dot or reticle when looking through whatever optic you're using.
DaleGribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:16   #4
nipperwolf

What is the point of a fake AN-PEQ15?

Quote:
We've gone from Socrates, to Snooki.
Ducky, NCIS
nipperwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:46   #5
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipperwolf View Post

You're questioning a guy who had to start a thread because he found it so unbelievable that some people actually have guns for purposes other than "toys" and tin can shooting?
Old 09-18-2012, 07:39   #6
KalashniKEV

Less obstruction.

Next question.
KalashniKEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 23:35   #7
surf

Besides what has been mentioned, more of a heads up style of shooting which is a good thing and especially if you are wearing a helmet. Also good for those that prefer to run a fixed rear BUIS as it leaves the BUIS out of the field of view better for the optic.

wait......fake what?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:46   #8
eyelikeglasses
Hooah, Hooah.

It's so you have a bigger field of view through your optic. Instead of the front sight post and dot being centered, they are lower. When you shoot at multiple/moving targets it helps you see more without moving your head off the optic. At least for me.
eyelikeglasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:43   #9
M&P15T
Beard One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
You're questioning a guy who had to start a thread because he found it so unbelievable that some people actually have guns for purposes other than "toys" and tin can shooting?
Please share with us Bren, when was the last time you shot someone with your AR? When was the last time you assaulted a Taliban position with your AR, or took out a barricaded suspect with your AR?

Very few peope here use ARs for "work", most people here are civilians. No matter what most folks want to say about why they own firearms, 99.9999% of the rounds out of civilian owned ARs are for nothing more than hobby/pleasure.

The point of that thread was to show that no matter what people want to think about why they own firearms, it's mostly for fun and hobby.

And the thread showed that.

Last edited by M&P15T; 09-19-2012 at 11:06..
M&P15T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:44   #10
M&P15T
Beard One

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipperwolf View Post

"The point" is about $2500.00
Old 09-19-2012, 08:49   #11
M&P15T
Beard One

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf View Post
Besides what has been mentioned, more of a heads up style of shooting which is a good thing and especially if you are wearing a helmet. Also good for those that prefer to run a fixed rear BUIS as it leaves the BUIS out of the field of view better for the optic.

wait......fake what?
Fake/airsoft PEQ-15, I discussed it in a thread. I watched that damn movie Act of Valor, and I had to have one......so I bought a $100 airsoft version.

I'm waiting to have a spare $2500.00 lying around.

Thanks for the info.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:15   #12
Travclem
Lifetime Membership
Badass Member

Quote:
Please share with us Bren, when was the last time you shot someone with your AR? When was the last time you assaulted a Taliban position with your AR, or took out a barricaded suspect with your AR?

Very few peope here use ARs for "work", most people here are civilians. No matter what most folks want to say about why the own firearms, 99.9999% of the rounds out of civilian owned ARs are for nothing more than hobby/pleasure.

The point of that thread was to show that no matter what people want to think about why they own firearms, it's mostly for fun and hobby.

And the thread showed that.
Spend your time and money how you see fit, but don't be so quick to assume what others have their rifles for. Not everyone spends their adult life playing G.I. Joe.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:29   #13
mvician
Lifetime Membership

Can we just get this locked now?
Old 09-19-2012, 10:32   #14
MD357

So you're worried that a fake accessory compromises a sight picture? How about taking off said POS?
MD357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:36   #15
M&P15T
Beard One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travclem View Post
Spend your time and money how you see fit, but don't be so quick to assume what others have their rifles for. Not everyone spends their adult life playing G.I. Joe.
I do my very best not to assume anything, nor do I "play" anything. However, here in the BRF, ARs are taken very, very, very seriously by some. To the point where it's painfully obvious that a few people that post here are mall ninjas, thinking they're going to save the world with their ARs.

Being as realistic as possible, only a very few select people that post in this forum can really say that their AR is truly something they "work" with, right now, at this very point in time (and only Airborn Infantry comes to mind). Some others seem to be training and planning and building towards.....what?

At least I have the guts to lable my reasons of owning an AR based on reality, and not some self-constructed fantasy world.

How about you? Going to kick in some doors today? Going to head to Afghanistan and go on patrol?
Old 09-19-2012, 10:36   #16
M&P15T
Beard One

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD357 View Post
So you're worried that a fake accessory compromises a sight picture? How about taking off said POS?
No....not worried at all.

And it's only 1/2, or 1/3rd fake, because despite the fact that it's a cheap, Chinese airsoft knock off POS, the damn thing actually works as a normal light and laser.

Last edited by M&P15T; 09-19-2012 at 10:40..
Old 09-19-2012, 10:37   #17
M&P15T
Beard One

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvician View Post
Can we just get this locked now?
Not necessary, if folks can restrain themselves from being insulting.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:57   #18
MD357

Quote:
No....not worried at all.
Interesting that you started a thread about it then....

Quote:
And it's only 1/2, or 1/3rd fake, because despite the fact that it's a cheap, Chinese airsoft knock off POS, the damn thing actually works as a normal light and laser.
So you're saying these are 1/2, 1/3 the quality of a real one? or at least in function? Help me out.... I'm not up to speed on Airsoft.

Last edited by MD357; 09-19-2012 at 10:57..
Old 09-19-2012, 11:01   #19
M&P15T
Beard One

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD357 View Post
Right, which is why you started a thread.
I started the thread to ask about why 1/3 co-witness got started, what was the reasons for it. I asked because when considering buying a new Eotech, I noticed that a few of the new XPS models have built-in risers, giving them a lower 1/3rd co-witness.

As far as the fake AN/PEQ-15, let's just say that's it's not completely useless. As I said, the damn thing actually works as a light & laser, which is better than I thought it would for $100.00

Last edited by M&P15T; 09-19-2012 at 11:08..
Old 09-19-2012, 11:06   #20
MD357

Quote:
I started the thread to ask about why 1/3 co-witness got started, what was the reasons for it. I asked because when considering buying a new Eotech, I noticed that a few of the new XPS models have built-in risers, giving them a lower 1/3rd co-witness.
I get this, point still remains.... why have a toy on your rifle? Unless you can justify your 1/2 fake remark?

Is it on there to try to look cool at the range? Just curious...... otherwise your concerns here would be moot.

Last edited by MD357; 09-19-2012 at 11:07..