Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:07   #1
GlockFanWA

Microsoft Surface Tablet

Looks pretty slick, I'm interested in the WinRT version, depending on the price. If MS offers it for under $400 then I'll most likely get one. Higher than that then it is debatable. I'll be able to get a laptop for under $400 running Win 8 and thus not restricted to only apps in the MS store.

Others thoughts?
GlockFanWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:08   #2
Toyman

A. They are probably going to be using ARM CPU's, pre-windows 8 apps won't work (most are compiled for the x86 processors).

B. Microsoft considers the "sweet spot" to be $300-$800, BUT leaked Windows 8 tablet pricing suggests Microsoft may have already lost the war (and its marbles) Asus $599-$1299
Toyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:17   #3
Linux3

Is it actually going to see the light of day or is it Vaporware?

I'm one of the last of my friends to get a tablet and I have the Google Nexus 7. At $200.00 I could see buying it but to me even $300.00 is too much for a tablet.

GlockfanWA, you say your price point is $400.00 and I would think that's high. I have been using my tablet for a while now and the Nexus 7 is all a tablet should be but it aint a laptop.

Much as Apple iPad folks love their fondleslabs and the Android fans yell their's is as good or better or whatever it's a toy.

If you do real work on a computer, if you are really an interactive user a slab isn't the way to go.

I see lots of people showing off what their iPad can do in a business setting. Oh, slick graphics and pie charts and multimedia displays are very nice, very nice. But when all this glitz was created it was done on a workstation or a real laptop.

Microsoft selling an expensive tablet because it's running Windows? I don't think it will fly and I think even MS knows that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 21:47   #4
GlockFanWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman View Post
A. They are probably going to be using ARM CPU's, pre-windows 8 apps won't work (most are compiled for the x86 processors).

B. Microsoft considers the "sweet spot" to be $300-$800, BUT leaked Windows 8 tablet pricing suggests Microsoft may have already lost the war (and its marbles) Asus $599-$1299
A is only true for the WinRT version of the Surface. The more expensive version will use Intel chips and run pre-Win8 apps.

B is only Asus's prices, MS may decide to sell the tablets pretty much at cost which could put a WinRT version in the $300 range.
Old 09-23-2012, 21:51   #5
GlockFanWA

It isn't vaporware. You have to look at the surface as more than a tablet, ot is almost an ultrabook type of device. You can use it as a tablet or a laptop. I can see it being big in places that use MS products.