SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-19-2012, 12:54   #1
MaxxAction

Anyone bought a SIG 716?

Hey all...

Just sold my DPMS SASS Rifle, loved the way it shot, just too damned heavy to carry if the S ever HTF.

Anyway, I am considering a sig 716, and just wondered if anyone had one, and what the experience has been. I have heard rumors of SIG quality dropping over the last couple of years, but I haven't bought a SIG in about 10 years, so again, just looking for some first hand experience. thanks...
Old 09-19-2012, 13:08   #2
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

Sig rifles aren't very highly thought of by most. What's your budget, and what will you be using the rifle for?
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 14:27   #3
MaxxAction

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverMore1701 View Post
Sig rifles aren't very highly thought of by most. What's your budget, and what will you be using the rifle for?
2k is about the max on budget...

The rifle will be used for the zombie apocalypse, or any shtf scenario, and just all around fun of blowin the hell out of stuff with 308 radway or whatever. Love the stopping power of the 308 so much more than 223. Like I said, my sass rifle was sub 1" groups at anywhere from 100 to 300 yards, but weighed probably over 20 pounds with a full mag, scope, and bipod. Too heavy to carry should one need to make a long trek on foot. The 716 weighs probably less than two thirds of what the sass rifle does.
Old 09-19-2012, 19:39   #4
wellcraft

i bought one a few weeks ago and fit/finish is very well done plus the 716 came with a boat load of accessories but only one mag. i haven't had the chance to shoot mine yet but from everything i've read the 716 is a winner. the 716 is not a light weight so you may not see much of a difference between the 716 and the DPMS you got rid of. I paid 1400 plus tax for my 716 which was a killer deal but i've seen them in the 1530-2000 dollar range. all in all i think the 716 is a great weapon if you can get one priced right like i did.
wellcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 19:56   #5
airflyer

Would like to try one, my sig516 has run flawless so far was
Concerned about it but has turned out to be a excellent rifle .
It's has been through a lot of shooting classes and has never failed
airflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 20:12   #6
MaxxAction

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellcraft View Post
i bought one a few weeks ago and fit/finish is very well done plus the 716 came with a boat load of accessories but only one mag. i haven't had the chance to shoot mine yet but from everything i've read the 716 is a winner. the 716 is not a light weight so you may not see much of a difference between the 716 and the DPMS you got rid of. I paid 1400 plus tax for my 716 which was a killer deal but i've seen them in the 1530-2000 dollar range. all in all i think the 716 is a great weapon if you can get one priced right like i did.
You'd be surprised. The sass is a heavy beast. I handled them side by side, and the Sig is probably a good 6 or 7 pounds lighter.

The upper and lower receiver on the Dpms are exceptionally beefy, not to mention it has a 20 inch barrel, and a full length quad rail that is very thick as well. When you add the bipod, scope, rings, buis, it was really heavy. I held it for comparison, and when I picked up the 716 I was literally shocked at the difference in weight.

Last edited by MaxxAction; 09-19-2012 at 20:13..
MaxxAction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 20:26   #7
bikerdog

This is something I just went through. I looked at the 716 a lot. I was able to get my hands on one to test fire. It was a nice gun. One of the majors issues I heard about the gun was sig has really bad quality control right now and possible the worst customer service in the industry. If you are going to buy one make sure to get your hands on the gun itself and really go through it to make sure there are no defects.

Ultimately I decided to not buy the sig. The main reason for my decision was that sig stole the lwrc system. lwrc is currently suing sig for the infringement. I really did not like that sig did that so I went a different route

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine