GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2012, 16:58   #1
PAGunner
Senior Member
 
PAGunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sunny South Florida
Posts: 6,391
SCAR 17 or Colt 6920MP, which one first?

.... And why?
__________________
M&P 40 CORE, M&P FS 40, M&P 40c, M&P 40 Shield
DDM4V1 LW, DDM4V5 LW, SCAR 17s, VEPR 12
PAGunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 17:03   #2
bikerdog
Senior Member
 
bikerdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 847
If you already own an m4/ar15 then the scar 17. If you dont the colt hands down because every american should own an ar15 variant.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
__________________
A person is smart. People are dumb
bikerdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 17:21   #3
PlasticGuy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 10,255
I would go with the SCAR 17 first. Mine would be the last rifle I would sell. The reason is that it can do everything. You can use it for any fighting duty a 16" rifle could ever be asked to do, fill the role of designated marksman or urban sniper, and it can also handle most big game hunting. As an added bonus, it's one of the best semi-auto platforms for mounting a suppressor (silencer). Of course the AR15 is an American standard, but it's simply not as versatile. Buy it second, or maybe third after a good AK.
__________________
I'd be a better listener if you stopped talking about stupid crap that doesn't matter.
PlasticGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 17:31   #4
MrMurphy
Head Sheepdog
 
MrMurphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Buried in the X-files
Posts: 31,643
In my case, the AR first and a spare, then a SCAR.

They're awesome rifles, but i've spent my entire adult life with the M16/M4 and the SCAR does share a lot of controls, but there would be some retraining.

Unless I was on a job where the SCAR was issued, i'd get it second or third.
__________________
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 20:31   #5
WayaX
Lifetime Membership
Senior Member
 
WayaX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasticGuy View Post
I would go with the SCAR 17 first. Mine would be the last rifle I would sell. The reason is that it can do everything. You can use it for any fighting duty a 16" rifle could ever be asked to do, fill the role of designated marksman or urban sniper, and it can also handle most big game hunting. As an added bonus, it's one of the best semi-auto platforms for mounting a suppressor (silencer). Of course the AR15 is an American standard, but it's simply not as versatile. Buy it second, or maybe third after a good AK.
I'd mostly agree. However, I would say buy it third, after you already have a good AR, and a good AK. If you don't have any quality AR-15 type rifles and experience with that, I would buy the Colt, just a plain jane 6920 (I prefer it to the Magpul edition by far), and take a course or two in how to use it. If you already have an AR-15 and experience, buy the SCAR-17S, it's a great rifle.

AK-pattern rifles are optional (though I love mine).
__________________
"Throughout history, it has been the inaction of those who could have acted; the indifference of those who should have known better; the silence of the voice of justice when it mattered most; that has made it possible for evil to triumph."

-Haile Selassie I
WayaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 20:54   #6
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.
 
NeverMore1701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Amarillo, Tx
Posts: 27,709
AR (or two) first.
__________________
And if we should die tonight
We should all die together
Raise a glass of wine
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:16   #7
Calvin9x19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 6
The colt FIRST
Calvin9x19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:25   #8
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member
 
Glockdude1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Beaumont,Texas
Posts: 26,640


Which one can you buy first?

Both in the same shop? Buy the one you can afford at the time. Or, buy both!!

__________________
"Some People Are Like Slinkies. They're Not Really Good For Anything, But They Bring a Smile To Your Face When Pushed Down The Stairs."
Glockdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:59   #9
M&P15T
Beard One
 
M&P15T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,146
Big difference in price and cost of ammo between those two.

What makes you consider such vastly different options?
__________________
Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus (519 BC 430 BC) Power should only be given to those that want it least.
M&P15T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 14:06   #10
PAGunner
Senior Member
 
PAGunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sunny South Florida
Posts: 6,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&P15T View Post
Big difference in price and cost of ammo between those two.

What makes you consider such vastly different options?
Why not? Once I have both the M4 will be my HD/Civil unrest/pinking rifle. I want to put a trijicon srs on it. The SCAR will be the alien ww3/TEOTWAWKI/just in case rifle and I want to put an acog on it. The off chance I ever take up hunting, I'd probably use the scar.

I do not have any rifles currently, I want both and will get both, just a matter of which one first.
__________________
M&P 40 CORE, M&P FS 40, M&P 40c, M&P 40 Shield
DDM4V1 LW, DDM4V5 LW, SCAR 17s, VEPR 12
PAGunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 14:13   #11
M&P15T
Beard One
 
M&P15T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAGunner View Post
Why not? Once I have both the M4 will be my HD/Civil unrest/pinking rifle. I want to put a trijicon srs on it. The SCAR will be the alien ww3/TEOTWAWKI/just in case rifle and I want to put an acog on it. The off chance I ever take up hunting, I'd probably use the scar.

I do not have any rifles currently, I want both and will get both, just a matter of which one first.
Then, it's not really a question of which one, just which one first.....got it.

That question you got to answer yourself. I myself would get the SCAR, because it's ****ing awesome. ARs are everywhere, SCARs aren't.
__________________
Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus (519 BC 430 BC) Power should only be given to those that want it least.
M&P15T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 15:03   #12
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.
 
NeverMore1701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Amarillo, Tx
Posts: 27,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAGunner View Post
Why not? Once I have both the M4 will be my HD/Civil unrest/pinking rifle. I want to put a trijicon srs on it. The SCAR will be the alien ww3/TEOTWAWKI/just in case rifle and I want to put an acog on it. The off chance I ever take up hunting, I'd probably use the scar.

I do not have any rifles currently, I want both and will get both, just a matter of which one first.
AR first, so you'll be covered while you save up for the more expensive SCAR.
__________________
And if we should die tonight
We should all die together
Raise a glass of wine
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 15:08   #13
WayaX
Lifetime Membership
Senior Member
 
WayaX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverMore1701 View Post
AR first, so you'll be covered while you save up for the more expensive SCAR.
Right. If you have no rifles currently, the Colt is the 100% right answer for this.

The only reason I say get the regular model and not the MP model is that the Rogers stock on the regular model is superior to the Magpul MOE (if it were a CTR, it'd be a different story). The Magpul handguards really just add weight unless you're sure you want to mount a light on them. And lastly, my experience with the magpul MBUS was less than impressive. I would much rather have a carry handle cut down as a buis than a magpul MBUS. The MP version is also more expensive, for (in my opinion) less rifle.
__________________
"Throughout history, it has been the inaction of those who could have acted; the indifference of those who should have known better; the silence of the voice of justice when it mattered most; that has made it possible for evil to triumph."

-Haile Selassie I

Last edited by WayaX; 09-22-2012 at 15:10..
WayaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 18:16   #14
PAGunner
Senior Member
 
PAGunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sunny South Florida
Posts: 6,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverMore1701 View Post
AR first, so you'll be covered while you save up for the more expensive SCAR.
I'm able to save 3-4 hundred a week and I'm just a couple weeks from a SCAR. Obviously there is more than just buying the gun, optics, accessories, magazines, ammo, range time, etc.

The way I see it, I've made it 30 years without a black rifle, I'm patient and I'm willing to wait a few more weeks. Although I love the Colt, I think I like the SCAR just a smidge more.
__________________
M&P 40 CORE, M&P FS 40, M&P 40c, M&P 40 Shield
DDM4V1 LW, DDM4V5 LW, SCAR 17s, VEPR 12
PAGunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 18:17   #15
PAGunner
Senior Member
 
PAGunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sunny South Florida
Posts: 6,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayaX View Post
Right. If you have no rifles currently, the Colt is the 100% right answer for this.

The only reason I say get the regular model and not the MP model is that the Rogers stock on the regular model is superior to the Magpul MOE (if it were a CTR, it'd be a different story). The Magpul handguards really just add weight unless you're sure you want to mount a light on them. And lastly, my experience with the magpul MBUS was less than impressive. I would much rather have a carry handle cut down as a buis than a magpul MBUS. The MP version is also more expensive, for (in my opinion) less rifle.
Act was going to get the MP-R, I like the idea of having a rail, makes it easy to add light, laser, foregrip etc.
__________________
M&P 40 CORE, M&P FS 40, M&P 40c, M&P 40 Shield
DDM4V1 LW, DDM4V5 LW, SCAR 17s, VEPR 12
PAGunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 19:52   #16
WayaX
Lifetime Membership
Senior Member
 
WayaX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAGunner View Post
Act was going to get the MP-R, I like the idea of having a rail, makes it easy to add light, laser, foregrip etc.
The MP-R just has a drop-in Troy non-free float rail. I would recommend a 6940 if you want the rail, or do a BCM build with the rail of your choice.
__________________
"Throughout history, it has been the inaction of those who could have acted; the indifference of those who should have known better; the silence of the voice of justice when it mattered most; that has made it possible for evil to triumph."

-Haile Selassie I
WayaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 15:21   #17
Jake Starr
Senior Member
 
Jake Starr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 4,649
deleted post
__________________
Christian pacifism is an option not a requirement.

The Christian faith is in no way pacifistic.

Last edited by Jake Starr; 09-23-2012 at 15:22..
Jake Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 16:18   #18
mjkeat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 3,450
What's your training budget? I would purchase one AR then attend a carbine I & II.
mjkeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 19:25   #19
FnKev
Senior Member
 
FnKev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Boerne, TX
Posts: 101
You can buy an AR anytime, Id jump on a SCAR 17 first. They are phenomenal rifles. Weight is superb, ergos are great, very accurate, runs extremely clean, has excellent BUIS, and mags are readily available now. Also, if you own a suppressor or plan on getting one then the SCAR will provide you with two gas setting, one for suppressed and one for not. I don't know if you have shot one before, but once you do, you wont regret your purchase. I have had mine for about a year and a half now and its hands down the best rifle I have ever shot or owned. A little gun porn for ya...

Black Rifle Forum
__________________

FnKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:24   #20
PAGunner
Senior Member
 
PAGunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sunny South Florida
Posts: 6,391
Thanks guys, I think I'm gonna go with the SCAR 17, I'll post pics once I pick her up!
__________________
M&P 40 CORE, M&P FS 40, M&P 40c, M&P 40 Shield
DDM4V1 LW, DDM4V5 LW, SCAR 17s, VEPR 12
PAGunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:27   #21
PAGunner
Senior Member
 
PAGunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sunny South Florida
Posts: 6,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by FnKev View Post
You can buy an AR anytime, Id jump on a SCAR 17 first. They are phenomenal rifles. Weight is superb, ergos are great, very accurate, runs extremely clean, has excellent BUIS, and mags are readily available now. Also, if you own a suppressor or plan on getting one then the SCAR will provide you with two gas setting, one for suppressed and one for not. I don't know if you have shot one before, but once you do, you wont regret your purchase. I have had mine for about a year and a half now and its hands down the best rifle I have ever shot or owned. A little gun porn for ya...

Black Rifle Forum
How do you like your nightforce? Seems like a good fit for a scar. I'm considering a nightforce with an offset rmr for my optics.
__________________
M&P 40 CORE, M&P FS 40, M&P 40c, M&P 40 Shield
DDM4V1 LW, DDM4V5 LW, SCAR 17s, VEPR 12
PAGunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:44   #22
FnKev
Senior Member
 
FnKev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Boerne, TX
Posts: 101
I'm running the Leupy MK4 2.5-8 TMR with M1 turrets. My choice came down to this and the nightforce 2.5-10. I chose the Leupy because I prefer the TMR reticle to the Mildot of the nightforce. Also, the reticle on the Leupy is a little thicker and easier to see for me. Either scope would be a great fit for the scar. There are also quite a few people running the nightforce setup with an rmr offset. Be sure to post up pics when you get your 17!!!
__________________

FnKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:37   #23
NEOH212
Diesel Girl
 
NEOH212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: North East Ohio
Posts: 8,847
Colt LE6920:

1. Parts readily available.

2. Cost of ammo relatively low.

3. Cost of mags low and readily available.

4. Rifle is readily available.

5. More aftermarket coverage.

6. Relatively inexpensive.

7. Aluminum alloy lower receiver.

_______________________________________________

SCAR 17:

1. Parts not so readily available but mostly obtainable.

2. Cost of ammo relatively high.

3. Cost of mags high and difficult to find sometimes.

4. Rifle can be hard to locate and is sometimes back ordered.

5. Aftermarket support almost nonexistent compared to AR.

6. Relatively expensive.

7. Polymer lower receiver.

How much are each of these things pro's and con's?

That's up to the individual. I love the SCAR. It's a fine weapon. It's a fine platform for the 7.62x51mm cartridge.

I also love my Colt LE6920. It's easily my favorite carbine and my go-to gun.

With that said, if the OP doesn't already own a AR platform rifle, my advice would be to obtain one of those first (preferably a Colt or other manufacture's rifle of the same or better quality) before moving on to the SCAR.

He will be able to get more trigger time with it considering the cost of ammo right now. Also, he will have a much easier time obtaining accessories, parts, mags, ect for it than the SCAR.


It's his money but that's what I would do.

Good luck and good shooting!

__________________
Diesel pickup, lift kit, 10mm, loud exhaust, big dog.... You didn't get enough attention as kid did you?

Last edited by NEOH212; 09-25-2012 at 01:39..
NEOH212 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:42   #24
PAGunner
Senior Member
 
PAGunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sunny South Florida
Posts: 6,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOH212 View Post
Colt LE6920:

1. Parts readily available.

2. Cost of ammo relatively low.

3. Cost of mags low and readily available.

4. Rifle is readily available.

5. More aftermarket coverage.

6. Relatively inexpensive.

7. Aluminum alloy lower receiver.

_______________________________________________

SCAR 17:

1. Parts not so readily available but mostly obtainable.

2. Cost of ammo relatively high.

3. Cost of mags high and difficult to find sometimes.

4. Rifle can be hard to locate and is sometimes back ordered.

5. Aftermarket support almost nonexistent compared to AR.

6. Relatively expensive.

7. Polymer lower receiver.

How much are each of these things pro's and con's?

That's up to the individual. I love the SCAR. It's a fine weapon. It's a fine platform for the 7.62x51mm cartridge.

I also love my Colt LE6920. It's easily my favorite carbine and my go-to gun.

With that said, if the OP doesn't already own a AR platform rifle, my advice would be to obtain one of those first (preferably a Colt or other manufacture's rifle of the same or better quality) before moving on to the SCAR.

He will be able to get more trigger time with it considering the cost of ammo right now. Also, he will have a much easier time obtaining accessories, parts, mags, ect for it than the SCAR.


It's his money but that's what I would do.

Good luck and good shooting!

Well after careful thought I pulled the trigger on a Colt 6920MP-R today and couldn't be happier. I'll be throwing an Eotech EXPS3 w/ G33 magnifier on it, gonna grab 25 Pmags, MS3 sling,900 rounds of premium ammo & decide what I'm going to put on the front rail, definitely gonna get rail covers for unused space, part of me wants a viridian green laser/light combo w/ VFG, another part of me wants a sure fire light w/ AFG, any thoughts?

As for the SCAR 17, it's the next rifle on my list, I'm aiming to have it by mid March (birthday present), should have accessories for it with my tax return.
__________________
M&P 40 CORE, M&P FS 40, M&P 40c, M&P 40 Shield
DDM4V1 LW, DDM4V5 LW, SCAR 17s, VEPR 12
PAGunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:17.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 751
169 Members
582 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42