SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:58   #1
railfancwb

Private gun sales - a warning

http://m.wkrn.com/default.aspx?pid=2...ype%3drssstory

Man shot and killed while attempting to make a legal face to face gun sale. No guns reported missing after the shooting.

I was surprised to read that the seller was the one killed, as I had guessed it to be a robbery attempt against the bringer of cash.

Could have been me, I suppose, as I've bought several guns legally through face to face transactions arranged through Glock Talk and Tennessee Gun Owners. Craigslist, mentioned in the article, bans gun ads FWIW.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:05   #2
Highspeedlane
NRA Life Member

I have only done FTF sales with people I know (usually from work). I would never meet up with a stranger in a shopping mall parking lot. I'm sure it happens a lot without incident, but then you have stories like this. Tragic.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:05   #3
Drain You
NRA member

He didn't think that one all the way through. He had backup and other guns, does no good if you don't utilize them.
Drain You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:07   #4
conservativenut

WOW is the only thing I can say!

Sending prayers to his family they will need all the support they can get!
conservativenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:09   #5
raven11

That is a shame I did some FTF sales over armslist and I felt safe
raven11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:00   #6
Hour13
Tah-dah!

That's horrible. Nothing was even taken, just shot him and ran? Gang initiation perhaps.

Unfortunately, when it's not a robbery, when the sole motivation is to kill somebody? Very little can be done, probably happened very quickly. I've done several FTF transactions, never had any problems. Some of the things I do;

1) Even if all talk has been through text/email, I call and actually speak on the phone before the meeting, easier to get a feel for somebody.

2) Have them send a pic of their ID to my email.

3) If anything at all feels off, no deal.

4) I'm always armed, and have somebody else with me.

No guarantees in life, but I hope it'll reduce the possibility of an incident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn View Post
She can't say stupid stuff with her mouth full of sausage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hour13 View Post
I have no problem charging somebody stark nekid, with a TP tail hanging from my butt... Maybe they'll go to their maker with a smile on their face.
Hour13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:07   #7
fx77
CLM Number 232
Charter Lifetime Member

Bring an armed friend and triangulate on the buyer
fx77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:11   #8
jpa
CLM Number 268
Charter Lifetime Member

Send a message via AIM to jpa Send a message via Yahoo to jpa
I've never had a problem with any private purchases I've made. I usually meet at the police station since we have to register handguns here anyway. Accessories and parts I'll meet at the grocery store parking lot, at a gas station, whatever.
Big Dawg #1408, TT #1408
Moto Club #1408, GSSF Member, NRA RSO
NRA Benefactor Member
jpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:21   #9
railfancwb

Rereading the article and considering the suggestion the murder might have been a gang initiation, I notice the reporter was politically incorrect and mentioned the races of the shooters.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:33   #10
AKRover
10MM Fanatic

The way it sounded in the article the seller never had a chance. He was shot as he was exiting his vehicle. All the backup and extra guns you want to bring isn't going to do much in an ambush situation like that. The best they could have done is returned fire and hope to stop the shooter from getting away.

This is truly sad. And worst part is you know somehow its going to get used as justification for banning all private sales of firearms.
Glock 20, Colt Delta Elite, Sig 1911 Extreme, Norinco SKS-D, AK47, Marlin 795 .22LR, CZ 452 LH .22LR, Colt M4 .22LR, S&W M&P-15 Sport, Remington 700 SPS LH 300 Win Mag, Winchester 1300 Defender 12ga, Winchester 1300 Black Shadow 20ga
AKRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:35   #11
Averageman

Ive bought a lot of guns face to face.
To be honest it puts both parties at risk. One has the product and one has the cash and at least one firearm is there.
It's a lot easier in Texas, if everyone has a C.C. your pretty much assured the it's legit.
Both handguns I have purchased were from L.E., both times they asked to see a D.L. and my C.C., that would seem pretty safe to me.
Averageman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:45   #12
4 glocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by railfancwb View Post
Rereading the article and considering the suggestion the murder might have been a gang initiation, I notice the reporter was politically incorrect and mentioned the races of the shooters.

"The suspect description at this time is at least two black men were involved,"

Notice the " " so it was a quote. Also a description.

The media will always say the race if it's white. If it's non-white the race is left out.

I hope they catch them. Gang initiation no other motive I can see.

Last edited by 4 glocks; 09-23-2012 at 10:47..
4 glocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:13   #13
bobtheelf

Wow. I go to that shopping center quite a bit. That's a little too close to home for me :(
bobtheelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:08   #14
elsolo

I don't think that event had anything to do with selling a gun.
Could have been a set of used golf clubs, or anything else somebody might sell in classified ads.
elsolo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:42   #15
larry_minn
Silver Membership

Small town POlice are nice for this. Have them meet at PD. Get there early and ask if I can use a office for couple minutes, they ask why, ask if they can check out gun.... So couple uniformed/armed Officers want to fondle new gun. They have even ran serial numbers (before meet) If seller uncomfortable giveing serial #s ahead of time. Well deal is off.
Haven't done this for yrs.
larry_minn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 13:09   #16
JEEPX

I do face to face transactions. However, I only deal with members from a certain Georgia forum. They have to have nothing but A+ ratings on their feedback score, and show carry permit or I won't deal with them.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
JEEPX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 13:10   #17
mr00jimbo

Back when I was young and naive, I met a guy in his basement apartment in a pretty rough neighborhood. I gave him 650 cash for a Sig Sauer. In Canada, handguns have to be registered so I gave him the $$ and he started the transfer for it in my name. Then I came back a few days later and picked it up once it was in my name and the paperwork went through.
Though to be fair I had met him before once through a guy I knew from the range.

Next private sale that's not done through the mail, will probably be done at a gun shop from now on. I'd rather give them a cut than risk it.
Old 09-23-2012, 13:19   #18
fusegsp

I've sold quite a few guns face to face locally. I've never had any problems even though I'm usually selling to middle aged, white males. These characters are known to be a violent, gun obsessed, lot. I've usually talked to them on the phone a few times by the time we meet and feel comfortable.
fusegsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 13:31   #19
JW1178

Are they sure is was a gun sale, or were they really selling something else?

I've sold and bought a few face to face, but I either knew them well or we were in a controlled enviroment.

Anytime meeting some stranger in a open location were you have a known valuable or cash is quite risky.

When I bought a car a couple years ago, I would agree to meet them but make sure they realized that I had no cash on me, but I did have it in the bank, and we would go to the bank if the sale was agreed on.
JW1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 14:02   #20
Gray_Rider

I sold a Luger many years ago to a private buyer. A collector. Nothing like this was even heard of then.....But then hunters were seen on the streets w/ their rifles during hunting season and kids brought their rifles/shotguns to school to go hunting after school.
Where/when? Venango Co. Pa. city of Franklin. late 60's and early 70's.

When I was a photographer, I once got some pictures of something that some people wanted to buy from me. I met them, sold the pictures and the negatives. I was armed but it could have been a bad scene. Three younger rather big white guys showed. I would have been toast if things had went sour, but it didn't involve anything illegal whatsoever, but these days, one never knows what people are thinking. I had two different hillbilly guys get snotty w/ me at the studio over pictures. One left after I removed a wedding picture of him and his bride from the window. The other guy had to be reminded I had friends with sticks and badges who wouldn't be too happy if I had to disturb their lunch hour and that I would press charges to the wall. He was threatening me and was seemingly jacking himself up to punch me out. You don't know your "best friend" any more. Things are crazy. Sad story. Prayers for the family.

Gray_Rider
Old 09-24-2012, 14:47   #21
CarryTexas

All the FTF transactions I have done with people I didn't know have been done with GT'ers.

I typically will only deal with someone if they have been a member here for a few years.

Then after talking on the phone and ensuring they know what they're talking about. I will meet them in a public location and I do always carry.
CarryTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 16:28   #22
rahager2u

I have done a few face to face sales and trades,on one of the last sales the back and forth emails I felt uneasy, this can be spooky, trust your instincts,I didn't sell that sidearm to him, sold it later .
rahager2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 17:19   #23
ray9898

Just because nothing was taken does not mean it was not a robbery. I have seen all sorts of incomplete crimes over the years. It could be something as simple as they freaked out thinking there was a witness or the gun was locked in the trunk and not laying in the passenger seat as they expected.

Many times criminals panick.

Last edited by ray9898; 10-26-2012 at 18:32..
ray9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 17:45   #24
Hef
Stop Obammunism

Have them meet you in a police station parking lot.
Old 10-26-2012, 18:11   #25
oldman11

Quote:
Originally Posted by railfancwb View Post
I would prefer the report tell the facts and be honest than politically correct.
oldman11 is offline   Reply With Quote