Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-24-2012, 15:27   #21
jdavionic
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo Bagins View Post
I don't understand why some people are talking about defending or fighting when the OP is talking about a economic collapse.

Too much Rambo and not enough Ramen will get you dead.
Agreed. I lived through cold war, carter, etc. too. However I don't want to leave a false impression. I was not in the military during any of these times and was a child during Vietnam (I'm 48). Yes, my Dad served our country...along with many others in my family. It's not a matter of fighting an enemy to save our nation using guns. It's a matter of possibly having a nation go through an economic collapse.

The challenge is finding a country that is not tied at the hip to the US economy, but also finding a country with freedom in the many areas that we presently enjoy here.

I know some mentioned UK, Ireland, and Canada...I just see those as being too dependent upon the US.

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."
jdavionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 17:24   #22
UneasyRider
C.D.B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boone10 View Post
No where else. I won't even leave the South.
I completely agree with you!

That said I would bet that you would have a very hard time getting a country to let you in post SHTF. Most countries are very firm on protecting there borders and don't want the refugees of the U.S. as extra baggage.

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms." - Aristotle,
UneasyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 17:43   #23
Maine1

I have a real hard time believing that an American would be better off leaving and getting ready in another country, rather than doing so here.

besides, this is OUR country- when things get rough are you going to buckle down and get to the business of living, or try to run away? Nobody improves anything by running away. ( ok, a few people could improve the US by leaving, but that's not who we are talking about.)
Maine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:27   #24
TangoFoxtrot
OIF 04-05

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient_serpent View Post
This is our country and I will not abondon it. My brothers and I all served in the military for too many years to give it all away.
Amen!
TangoFoxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:06   #25
SFCSMITH(RET)

I've been to most of those other places.

No thank you.
SFCSMITH(RET) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 19:21   #26
Ruble Noon
"Cracker"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavionic View Post
Without debating the politics, focusing on possibilities in the US leads to concerns over the future. We have preps...food, water, financial, protection, etc. But what about another option...leaving?

I know some are ademant...'I will not leave my country'. And having been to some places out of this country, I can say that we have so much that makes this country great. In addition, the best man from my wedding lives in Central America. He's doing very well there. However when the US faulters, he feels it there and is vulnerable to the US economy.

If you believe the US is facing an economic collapse, where could you go where you can earn a living, raise a family, possess firearms for self protection, and enjoy a good buffer from an economic collapse from the US?

Has anyone considered this? Where else? I cannot think of a country that is well buffered from a US economic collapse.
I don't think there is anywhere else that won't be affected by our collapse. Greece has lied about their debt and is now reporting it as double. The Eurozone is starting to experience inflation while the ECB (European Central bank) has taken on another round of money printing as has Japan and as has the US. The western world is trying to inflate their monetary problems away.
People in third world countries are more attuned to survival and won't be hit as hard as we will be but I think I would rather weather the collapse in the US or perhaps Canada.
Ruble Noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:40   #27
sebecman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavionic View Post
The challenge is finding a country that is not tied at the hip to the US economy, but also finding a country with freedom in the many areas that we presently enjoy here.
Good luck with that.

America is worth staying in, trust me. Even an economically weakened America beats most anywhere else in the world.

PS - You can dismiss my opinion if you since I don't buy into the complete collapse theories. Sure we have some hard times coming but I don't see a meltdown of the scale some here talk about.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:49   #28
sebecman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo Bagins View Post
I don't understand why some people are talking about defending or fighting when the OP is talking about a economic collapse.

Too much Rambo and not enough Ramen will get you dead.
The OP said "If you believe in an economic collapse" - I don't. I thik it is bad and will get worse, especially if we actually tangle with Iran....

But I don't see the economy ever getting so bad that I will tuck my tail and flee to another country.

Oh and conversely, too much Ramen and not enough Rambo gets you just as dead. - not that I am a rambo type, but a healthy balance is key to most things.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:03   #29
Chuck TX
CLM Number 243
Charter Lifetime Member

Even during the worst of times there are those who will thrive, economically. I would do my best to take advantage of the situation.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:17   #30
wjv

I could live on Vancouver Island (BC).

Granted I'd have to dump most of my firearms as they probably are not importable into Canada.

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false-face for the urge to rule it.
- H. L. Mencken -
wjv is offline   Reply With Quote