Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-24-2012, 15:48   #1
Hal A Looyah

Explain heavy 9mm bullets in GSSF

I'm kinda new here. Been casting, shooting and reloading for a while. My son and I have experienced some success in another shooting discipline, but are new to Glocks. Shot Griffin in Feb. and Conyers this weekend. Have been shooting a 115gr plated bullet and Unique.
Someone please explain the use of heavy bullets and their benefits. Recoil? Muzzle rise? Accuracy? Reliability?

I'm having a hard time understanding why heavy bullets are beneficial.

And who has a deal on "-" connectors?
Hal A Looyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 16:02   #2
cookselk

I like the light bullets. Loaded to similar power levels (bullet weight x bullet velocity/1000) the light bullet will offer a quicker snap and I feel I can get back on target quicker with shorter splits between targets. One of the Gunny challenge masters told me he had a steel target made up with a hole and flapper in the middle that he used to practice double taps. He said that with the 115's he could get the second shot through the hole before the flapper came down, he couldn't do it with the 147's. The guy has shot sub 2 second runs on the plate rack and sub 10 second runs total so I listen to him.

The heavy bullet will feel softer in recoil and is preferred by many because it offers a feeling of more control and doesn't feel as punishing. I started by shooting the 147's and have switched to 115's.

Dunno about the connectors. Here's one place but they are pricey:

http://glockparts.com/

Last edited by cookselk; 09-25-2012 at 07:26..
cookselk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 16:08   #3
ron59
Bustin Caps

You won't find too much a "deal" on connectors, I get mine from GlockParts mostly. $20 I'm thinking but I haven't bought one in awhile, I run Ghost Rockets in all my non-GSSF guns, but still use the Vanek kit I bought way back for GSSF. (Pricey, but damn good.)

For bullet weight, here are a few who use the "light bullet is snappy gets back on target faster" theory, but I'd say more competitive shooters (who reload) use a heavier one. All the ones around here at least for USPSA/IDPA/GSSF etc. use 147grainers. Somebody should tell Sevigny and all those guys that they can't get their gun back on target fast enough with those 147s.

At the same power factor, a heavier bullet feels much softer. MUCH softer. I loaded some 147s up to the same PF as WWB 115gr and shot them. I load one magazine up, alternating the two, gives better feedback for comparison sake. Wow. I've done the same exercise for my buddies. They're all believers. 2 of them are now GSSF masters, another has won one gun. Myself... a few second places and 4-5 thirds but yet to have a win. Only throw that out to say we're not slackers.

They're a little more expensive, but I'm very happy with the heavier bullets. I also run 230grainers with .45ACP for the same reason.

Quote:
WTF?! How a cheap can an old, the old fart get?!

Last edited by ron59; 09-24-2012 at 16:09..
ron59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 18:04   #4
DannyR

I've used the "Costanza" load for 12 years--a 147-gr FMJ @ 880fps. Very soft, extremely accurate. Today it is known as the "Sevigny" load.
Bull Dawg #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by DannyR; 09-24-2012 at 18:05..
DannyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 19:19   #5
SARDG

I saw OEM (-) connectors at a vendor's table this weekend at Conyers (not Ed's) for $35. Never before saw them listed that high - ever.

They also had extended slide locks which I told the vendor were illegal. I imagine a lot of folks bought them and installed them in their (formerly) stock guns, and ran them as stock.

ETA: I load 147s and estimate that my times have improved perhaps 10-15% based on the reloads alone.

Last edited by SARDG; 09-24-2012 at 19:21..
SARDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:51   #6
cookselk

I pulled out a copy of USPSA's Front Sight (May/June 2012 p.32) where they list the gear used at the 2011 Production Nationals. Here's what they had to say about bullet weights in the 9mm:

"However, within the 9mm bullet weights, the 124/5 grain bullets have steadily gained ground. This year the 115 grain weight recovered a bit, but the trend shows a move to the middle - away from the soft and slow 147 and away from the sharp and snappy 115. 34% of the field shot 124/5's (the middle option) in 2008, rising steadily to 44.5% in 2011."
Old 09-25-2012, 08:09   #7
gravitybad

I think for most of us mere mortals, we'll never know the benefits of 'requiring' a quicker slide action to better our scores...as 'maybe' opposed to our times. If somone is accurate enough that they're waiting on the slide then more power to em'.

I shoot 147grn 9mm rounds and find the recoil is slightly more manageable allowing me to get back on target without the increased muzzle flip from a light grain bullet coupled with a hotter load. It ultimately comes down, like just about everything else in shooting, personal preference.

Experiment (that's the fun part for me) and shoot what feels right for you.
gravitybad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:32   #8
unclebob

On the D-1 targets it really does not make any difference. What works best for you? But on the steel targets the extra weight on a low hit or low side hit can and at times does make a difference of the target going over or not. And unless the pepper poppers are set hard. They must fall over to count.
The group that I travel and shoot with. We use 135 or 147gr bullets for 9mm, 185 and 200gr bullets for the 45 acp and gap.
GSSF Life Member
Old 09-25-2012, 08:32   #9
mbree
SE Minnesota

Or split the difference and shoot 124g
mbree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:53   #10
gravitybad

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebob View Post
But on the steel targets the extra weight on a low hit or low side hit can and at times does make a difference of the target going over or not. And unless the pepper poppers are set hard. They must fall over to count.
You're right, Conyers was the my 1st GSSF match with pepper poppers that needed to fall. Athough half way through my stages, the popper was hard set because the calibration was set light enough that the wind was appartenly knocking some over. Shooting mainly USPSA, not sure about GSSF, if a shooter gets a "good' hit on steel but popper fails to fall, what happens? Reshoot...calibrate steel...keep shooting? I noticed no one painted steel like they do for each shooter in USPSA so it could be difficult and subjective to determine whehter an audible hit, with the impact hidden amonst hundreds of hits, should result in poppers falling. Apparently not a big issue in GSSF.

Steel should be calibrated to account for 115grn round knocking poppers down provided a 'good' hit. With that said, it's always an advantage to have a little more when shooting steel that needs to fall.

Last edited by gravitybad; 09-25-2012 at 09:00..
gravitybad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:53   #11
cookselk

Quote:
What works best for you? 185 and 200gr bullets for the 45 acp and gap.
I think you hit it on the head. Differences in technique, grip, strength, etc will affect how a pistol recoils in your hand and consequently which bullet weight will work best for you. For some, the 147 for others, the 115 and as mbree said, why not split the difference.

I agree with you on the 45 weights. Recently I tried shooting my G20 10mm with 155's and it was a great improvement over my G30. But then we're comparing apples to oranges. I have a 21G4 coming that I won so we'll see how it compares to the 10.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:02   #12
unclebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitybad View Post
Steel should be calibrated to account for 115grn round knocking poppers down provided a 'good' hit. With that said, it's always an advantage to have a little more when shooting steel that needs to fall.
It is.
GSSF Life Member
Old 09-25-2012, 09:07   #13
emtjr928

Calibrate Steel

Quote:
It is.
I was there for the stage set-ups. All poppers WERE calibrated and shot with 115 gr. and then locked. The wind later caused the problems in some bays, so all were changed to make them consistent.
Ed
emtjr928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:10   #14
SARDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitybad View Post
You're right, Conyers was the my 1st GSSF match with pepper poppers that needed to fall. Athough half way through my stages, the popper was hard set because the calibration was set light enough that the wind was appartenly knocking some over.
They call it "Wind Rules" and a single popper is set to NOT fall, but to 'ring and paint.'

Quote:
Shooting mainly USPSA, not sure about GSSF, if a shooter gets a "good' hit on steel but popper fails to fall, what happens? Reshoot...calibrate steel...keep shooting?
I can tell you what's supposed to happen; calibrate steel, and reshoot. But we had some weird gusts through our bay from the get-go and adjusting to fall with a bullet and not the wind was tough - so we finally counted a good hit (without a fall) as a real hit. I told GSSF about it once - but it was adapt and overcome if we were going to get shooters through without re-cals and re-shoots all day long.

Quote:
Steel should be calibrated to account for 115grn round knocking poopers down provided a 'good' hit...
...and that's how they are calibrated. In wind rules, they are calibrated to NOT fall with a high head hit.

Last edited by SARDG; 09-25-2012 at 09:11..
SARDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 21:58   #15
JTSmith
gfdrńł

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbree View Post
Or split the difference and shoot 124g
Yup. I have tried 147's and didn't see much difference, other than a lighter wallet . At least for now, I'm perfectly content with 124gr from Montana Gold.

I did have to shoot factory ammo(Federal 115gr from Walmart) in my 34 this past weekend at Conyers. Needless to say, there was a HUGE difference in recoil between it and shooting reloads through my 26. Luckily, I ended up with enough to shoot 3 mags on the plates with my reloads, which i managed a personal best single run on.

Now I just have to make sure I get my new reloading table built so I can crank out some sissy bullets for Mobile
JTSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 22:23   #16
S.Kargoh

Last match, I shot a mix of 115's , 147 fmj, 147hp's.

Did okay.
S.Kargoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:52   #17
Davers

I Also shot @ the 2012 GSSF Conyers match ,I do not reload [i should] But anyway I shot myG19 4 the first time & noted it and I shot the 147gr American Eagle more accurately than the 115gr Win wht box ammo. I just wish i had saved my 1 box of 147s for THOSE DARN PLATES! That spoiled an already ok day.
Davers is offline   Reply With Quote