Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:57   #21
zackwatt
Lifetime Membership
That's a Bingo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoore View Post
Not just any black rifle, one of the best. Congrats, you are going to love it. Take this advice from me, shoot it a bunch and then figure out what you want. If you decide you want an optic, save and buy a quality one in the first place. Nice rifle.
Thanks! And yes, nothing but quality for me!

Quote:
Edit- the .22 conversion kits kinda suck, my friends have have had nothing but problems with theirs.
I have seen many reviews, some people love them and some hate 'em. I used one last week and it worked flawlessly. I'm just not sure if I want to get a conversion or go with a dedicated upper...

Remember: "Heavy is Good, Heavy is Reliable. Plus, If It Doesn't Work You Can Always Hit Them with It."
zackwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:58   #22
rednoved
NRA Member

Nice!
rednoved is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:58   #23
bmoore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackwatt View Post

I have seen many reviews, some people love them and some hate 'em. I used one last week and it worked flawlessly. I'm just not sure if I want to get a conversion or go with a dedicated upper...
My vote is a dedicated upper.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:36   #24
Jack23
I. B. Glockin'

Congratulations!! I made that move a couple of years ago and I still can't keep my hands off it. But put me in the group with the guys that leave it stock. I don't even have a scope on mine. It was kinds fun gettin' back in to shootin' with military sights again.....after 46 years.
G-17, G-23, G-21, G-36, Ruger blackhawk, ss, Ruger 10/22, Ruger Mark II, Ruger SP101, British Webley MKI .455, Kel-Tec P32, S&W top break .38, S&W 24-3 .44spl N frame Colt 1903 .32, Heritage .22 Combo, Colt AR-15, LE6920.
Jack23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:05   #25
zackwatt
Lifetime Membership
That's a Bingo!

Quote:
My vote is a dedicated upper.
While I think that is the better option...it would be nice to use whatever setup I eventually have with both calibers. Switching out optics and other accessories would be a pain.

Remember: "Heavy is Good, Heavy is Reliable. Plus, If It Doesn't Work You Can Always Hit Them with It."
Old 09-26-2012, 12:52   #26
zackwatt
Lifetime Membership
That's a Bingo!

I think I might be leaning toward a dedicated upper...

Old 09-27-2012, 00:12   #27
GenoTac Ind.
|KYDEX GEAR>

Upgrades are improvements in efficiency. What you are calling upgrades are accessories/tools that make shooting your firearm more efficient. Now i'm speaking from an LE point of view, but you can aquire a target faster with a red dot versus iron sights. You can do bolt lock to the rear and release faster with a a battery assist lever, making for faster reloads.

"Upgrades" are to be thought out and function checked. Make it works for you first, run and gun with it. If it doesn't work, it's not an upgrade. Just don't start throwing stuff on your gun just because it looks cool.

With that said, I see you're from Louisville Zack. Get with me sometime.

Last edited by GenoTac Ind.; 09-27-2012 at 00:12..
GenoTac Ind. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:21   #28
rednoved
NRA Member

I'd consider a dedicated .22 rifle. I keep looking at the .22 Colt M4 from Umarex/Walther.
Black Rifle Forum

I think it is about $500 though.

There is a pretty good review on it here.
http://ezine.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=56
Old 09-28-2012, 10:48   #29
bmoore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednoved View Post
I'd consider a dedicated .22 rifle. I keep looking at the .22 Colt M4 from Umarex/Walther.
Black Rifle Forum

I think it is about $500 though.

There is a pretty good review on it here.
http://ezine.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=56
Airsoft grade junker. Go with the Smith. I just mounted and boresited a scope for a buddy with a "Colt"/Umarex M4 .22, I was not impressed at all.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:14   #30
rednoved
NRA Member

Quote:
Airsoft grade junker. Go with the Smith. I just mounted and boresited a scope for a buddy with a "Colt"/Umarex M4 .22, I was not impressed at all.

Really? I haven't seen one in person yet. I haven't dug too deep, but the only reviews I have found were positive. There were a lot of people saying it's crap in forums, but they haven't given any reasoning outside of it not actually being made by Colt. Most of the negative comments have been about it being made by Umarex/Walther, and not the actual performance or quality of the product.

What was unimpressive? I know some people said the controls are too different from other AR variants.

I've been looking at the M&P also. I just liked the idea of a match M4 in .22lr.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:20   #31
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

Quote:
Really? I haven't seen one in person yet. I haven't dug too deep, but the only reviews I have found were positive. There were a lot of people saying it's crap in forums, but they haven't given any reasoning outside of it not actually being made by Colt. Most of the negative comments have been about it being made by Umarex/Walther, and not the actual performance or quality of the product.

What was unimpressive? I know some people said the controls are too different from other AR variants.

I've been looking at the M&P also. I just liked the idea of a match M4 in .22lr.
I've heard a dozen bad reports about the Colt for every one on the M&P. The few examples of each I've played with fell in line with that as well.
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 16:10   #32
zackwatt
Lifetime Membership
That's a Bingo!

I like the idea of having a dedicated upper over an entirely different AR.

I want to practice with the rifle I have and not pay .223 prices.

Old 09-30-2012, 16:17   #33
bmoore

Quote:

It literally felt like an Airsoft rifle, except for the barrel. The sites, stock, handguard fit...........etc. For 299, maybe. Not for the same price point as the Smith, the Smiths that I have held felt like rifles.
Old 09-30-2012, 17:46   #34
mjkeat

The S&W is the best way to go as it's the closest functionally.
mjkeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 13:51   #35
Clutch Cargo
Amsterdam Haze

Very nice rifle, zack! Now stock up on mags/ammo in case the annointed one gets re-elected and goes on an "anti" rampage.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:31   #36
WayaX
Lifetime Membership

Before you go customizing it, shoot it. Then customize based what you feel it needs to enhance (accessories do not improve) your shooting ability. The best way to find what YOU need is to take a class.

The only things I change on all AR-15s is the grip and charging handle. I do these based on experience from shooting with an A2 grip and stock charging handle, not because some guy with a beard uses them.
"Throughout history, it has been the inaction of those who could have acted; the indifference of those who should have known better; the silence of the voice of justice when it mattered most; that has made it possible for evil to triumph."

-Haile Selassie I
WayaX is offline   Reply With Quote