SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-25-2012, 20:45   #21
HarlDane

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAFinch View Post
That's impossible. Custody disputes; medical disputes; inheritance; tax filings; regulation of adoption agencies; civil suits against "discriminatory" churches, banquet halls, misc businesses; divorce proceedings.
A simple contract between a couple (or group) covers most of the normal legal issues that arise in creating or dissolving a marriage. As for suits against churches, it's a non-issue; churches currently discriminate with regards to who can be married in their buildings with no problem, legalizing polygamy or gay marriage would do nothing to change that.
HarlDane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 20:47   #22
HarlDane

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice6 View Post
Next:

Meet my wife Bowser, the Terrier.
Animals can't consent. Of course, I'm fairly sure you know that.
HarlDane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 20:53   #23
countrygun

"Polygamy": A Crime that is also it's own punishment.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 21:25   #24
IvanVic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMG26 View Post
How is it different then a marriage?

Because it is not a man and a woman. Pretending that the word marriage has not retained a historical meaning in Western civilization is dishonest.
IvanVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 21:32   #25
douggmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanVic View Post
I don't care what they do, just don't call it marriage.
Do you own the term or its definition?
douggmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 21:35   #26
IvanVic

Quote:
Originally Posted by douggmc View Post
Do you own the term or its definition?
No. I also don't own the definition of the word "shoe". Does that mean it's correct to start calling the 500 pound stainless steel box that keeps our food cold a "sneaker"?
Old 09-25-2012, 21:36   #27
Gunnut 45/454

Thats right why have Marriage at all! You can go screw anyone you want, live with them and when you get tried of there **** just leave. If you have kids with twenty different women who cares, just get a new one, let them take care of them, you don't have to pay nothing or raise them. Who cares right it's not your responsibility! That means no divorce , no allimony, no cares what so ever. Hey your kids can screw each other as well I mean we shouldn't care what they do right! Why should you, you don't care who your sleeping with nor the kids you have! Right! Now of course this doen't apply to gay couples as they can't have children- oh wait they can now since anything goes right! So Lesbian can get knockup for free by some dude- save the trip to a doctor to get enseminated!

Last edited by Gunnut 45/454; 09-25-2012 at 21:39..
Gunnut 45/454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 21:39   #28
NMG26

Quote:
Because it is not a man and a woman. Pretending that the word marriage has not retained a historical meaning in Western civilization is dishonest.

Honestly there are a lot of different ways to see a thing. The word marriage is used in cooking, art, culture, for things coming together.

You can have a small view of things or a large view of things.

Pretending that there is only one way to see a thing is dishonest.

No double entendres intended.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
NMG26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 21:39   #29
douggmc

Quote:
No. I also don't own the definition of the word "shoe". Does that mean it's correct to start calling the 500 pound stainless steel box that keeps our food cold a "sneaker"?
OK ... We are clear then. You don't own the term or its definition. So ... Mind your own business and quit trying to define it for someone else.

PS - You can call your shoe OR your refrigerator whatever you want. Doesn't impact me. See how that works? Neat .. Huh?
douggmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 21:42   #30
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlDane View Post
Animals can't consent. Of course, I'm fairly sure you know that.

What about implied consent.
http://legal-dictionary.thefreedicti...mplied+consent

"Consent that is inferred from signs, actions, or facts, or by inaction or silence."

Not that there is anything wrong with that.....

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 21:46   #31
NMG26

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice6 View Post
What about implied consent.
http://legal-dictionary.thefreedicti...mplied+consent

"Consent that is inferred from signs, actions, or facts, or by inaction or silence."

Not that there is anything wrong with that.....

Well they can't hire their own lawyers so there is little chance............

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by NMG26; 09-25-2012 at 21:46..
Old 09-25-2012, 21:55   #32
IvanVic

Quote:
Honestly there are a lot of different ways to see a thing. The word marriage is used in cooking, art, culture, for things coming together.
So you're going to tell me that you don't understand the difference between how the word marriage applies in the context of a married couple and the context of cooking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by douggmc View Post
OK ... We are clear then. You don't own the term or its definition.
Nobody owns definitions. By their very nature they are not things that can be owned. Your argument seems to be: since nobody can own a definition, then words have no real meaning. When I say "tree", you could honestly have no idea what I'm referring to and think that I might be referencing the rocking chair you're sitting on rather than the spruce in your front yard.

I think it's fair to say that you've lost the argument at that point.

Last edited by IvanVic; 09-25-2012 at 22:02..
Old 09-25-2012, 22:00   #33
NMG26

Quote:
So you're going to tell me that you don't understand the difference between how word marriage applies in the context of a couple and the context of cooking?
So you're going to tell me that don't undestand how the word marriage is things coming together? A couple is not just man and woman. A couple of anything coming together can be called a marriage. You may not like it, but that is the way the word is used.

Understand?

Last edited by NMG26; 09-25-2012 at 22:00..
Old 09-25-2012, 22:04   #34
Chronos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woofie View Post
I think this is the first time I've ever opened a GT thread and saw so many rational posts. I approve.
Ditto.

Btw, there *is* a slippery slope to be afraid of, but it's the one that looks more like George Orwell at the bottom than Joseph Smith.
If you've already accepted that "violence against the innocent" is a morally legitimate means of funding the government, who are you to complain when the majority apprporiates your legacy and sells your children into a lifetime of debt slavery?

Last edited by Chronos; 09-25-2012 at 22:21..
Chronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 22:06   #35
IvanVic

Quote:
So you're going to tell me that don't undestand how the word marriage is things coming together?
Yes, marriage in a general sense means the coming together of things - although in usage, it distinguishes. Words have context and their definition applies accordingly.

Example: If you were describing an car accident, you wouldn't say "the two cars married," even though they technically 'came together' when they impacted.

If I'm going to have to run a remedial reading class every time I quote one of your posts, this is going to wear thin rather quickly.

Last edited by IvanVic; 09-25-2012 at 22:07..
Old 09-25-2012, 22:10   #36
NMG26

Quote:
If I'm going to have to run a remedial reading class every time I quote one of your posts, this is going to wear thin rather quickly.
Just messing with you man. You can be right today.

Old 09-25-2012, 22:45   #37
Foxtrotx1

polygamy was fine in the old testament/new testament.

Eagle Scout.
Foxtrotx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 23:10   #38
Gunnut 45/454

Foxtrotx1
Yet being gay was not! So now your going to use the Bilble to justify this crap? Really? The Hypocracy of the Homosexual agenda pushers is over the top! As I said in my first post - why don't we just get rid of Marriage all together! Take all responsibility out of relationships! Go sleep with whom ever or what ever you want- absolutely no obligations! While we are at it lets just do away with all responisiblity for anyone- no laws, no governement at all just do as you please!
Old 09-25-2012, 23:11   #39
Guss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxtrotx1 View Post
polygamy was fine in the old testament/new testament.
And don't forget the Muslims.
Guss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 00:14   #40
Foxtrotx1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnut 45/454 View Post
Foxtrotx1
Yet being gay was not! So now your going to use the Bilble to justify this crap? Really? The Hypocracy of the Homosexual agenda pushers is over the top! As I said in my first post - why don't we just get rid of Marriage all together! Take all responsibility out of relationships! Go sleep with whom ever or what ever you want- absolutely no obligations! While we are at it lets just do away with all responisiblity for anyone- no laws, no governement at all just do as you please!

Eagle Scout.
Foxtrotx1 is offline   Reply With Quote