SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-16-2012, 00:46   #1
AZL

LEOSA and Policy Change Question.

Mas,

I took LFI I and II back in the 90's (91 and 93) respectively...your teaching was on the whole a LOT more valuable than I got at the academy back then!

Anyway...to my question...I retired from a 23 year career with my department (serious on-duty accident ended it).

Have you experienced a noticeable policy shift within non-carry states with respect to officers and retired officers carrying since LEOSA? I had to go to NYC back in 2000 on a narcotics case, and though the D's to whom I was assigned had no problem with me carrying...their Lt and Captain had a serious case of the stink eye, even though I was on police business.

Since you travel a whole lot more than I do...do you have any insight I may find helpful when I go back to NYC for a wedding in September? (Other than concealed means concealed?)

By the way...I saw Kate at Derby a while back...that woman is a HOOT. God bless her!
AZL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:03   #2
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

Have all your necessary LEOSA credentials with you, stay within the NY gun regs, and you should be fine.

You might also want to reach out here to Seanmac45, a gun-savvy retired NYPD lieutenant, and Glock Talk's resident expert on that legendary department and its culture.

Glad you made it through to retirement.

Best,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 23:26   #3
AZL

Thanks for the input Mas. I will look him up.

It was touch and go sticky a few times over the 23 years...but...sometimes it's just as important to be lucky as good.

What is truly scary is now...I am in LAW SCHOOL! I don't know what is scarier...going through a dope house door or being an old guy back in college.
Old 07-16-2012, 23:34   #4
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

best of luck in your new endeavor, bro.

my own feeling, after decades in the criminal justice system, is that the more ex-cops we have practicing law -- on both sides of the fence -- the better justice will be served.

best,
mas
Old 07-17-2012, 01:20   #5
AZL

Well...I believe YOU said it in lecture..."Cops know more about the law than lawyers..." or something very similar to that. There is a LOT of truth to that.

I can't count the times I have wanted to ask the judge for a recess from the witness stand so I could tell the over-worked and under-prepared prosecutor (who only had my report and three minutes to talk to me in the hallway before court) what to ask me, and how to ask it!

First...must graduate and pass the bar.
Old 09-29-2012, 17:21   #6
AZL

Just a follow-up.

I am back, unscathed from my wedding trip to NYC. I flew into Philly, spent a day with friends, rented a car and drove into NYC to avoid any of the entanglements you hear about at Kennedy or LaGuardia.

I had a chat with a couple of brothers working in Brooklyn, and we swapped lies and tales of adventure and daring (and wiseassed a couple of smoke eaters all in good fun). All was good. I am surprized that Hizzoner Da Mayor didn't show up to slap the 32oz soft drink cup out of my hand though!

All in all....I prefer the slow pace, quiet lifestyle, and open spaces of my Arizona desert home.

"If you take your hands off the back of my cruiser one more time, I will make your birth certificate a worthless document." Me Again
Old 09-29-2012, 22:38   #7
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

Glad to hear it went well, AZL. I love happy endings.

best,
Mas