SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-23-2012, 11:58   #1
DirtyDan

Glock Triggers

Dear Mas,

Why does everyone have such hatred for the NY2 trigger spring module? Although not as smooth, it's shorter and lighter than a Revolvers pull and I don't hear many complaints about them.I'm talking for carry and defense guns.

Also,what trigger set up do most Law Enforcement Agencies have in their Glocks?

Thank you for your time,
Dan
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 15:05   #2
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

The NY-2 may be so unpopular because it seems to pass the point of diminishing returns. Firm resistance palpable from the beginning of the pull -- which Glock designed into the original New York trigger, created at the behest of NY State Police, and now known as NY-1 -- is served with the original NY-1. Making the pull close to half again heavier with the NY-2interferes with "shootability" more than it increases safety, in my view and the view of many others.

Most departments using the Glock use the standard 5.5 pound pull that comes out of the box at your gun shop. Glock thinks it's safe. So do I. So, more important, does most of the American police establishment.

Second most popular seems to be the NY-1 combined with the 5.5 lb. connector for a pull in the 7-8 pound range. Firm resistance to beginning of pull adds another safety net if a vasoconstricted finger gets onto the trigger prematurely. I personally find it gives a cleaner trigger break. I for one like this set-up, have won three state shoots with it competing against lighter trigger guns, and have it in most of my personal carry Glocks.

Some departments are using the 3.5 lb. connector with the NY-1 for a pull in about the 6 lb. range, still with the "front loaded pull" safety net of the NY-1, but with an easier and smoother trigger pull. This set-up has a very smooth pull, and has been "Glock-approved for duty and self-defense" for several years now. I currently have this in my personal G31 and like it very much.

A few departments use the standard trigger return spring with 8-lb connector. I personally see no advantage to it, and neither apparently do most departments.

To my knowledge only NYPD and NY Parole Board use the NY-2. May be due to reasons stated above.

3.5/4.5 lb connector with standard trigger return spring is not authorized by Glock for duty guns or self-defense guns, which is why Glock's website lists the "Tactical/Practical" models so equipped under sporting guns, rather than duty or personal defense pistols. I know of NO agency that expressly authorizes this trigger system on a duty gun. Glock's policy is to send Tactical/Practical models ordered for police work with the standard 5.5 lb trigger.

Hoping this has provided perspective,
mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 13:04   #3
DirtyDan

Mas,

"the NY-2interferes with "shootability" more than it increases safety, in my view and the view of many others"

Would the same then apply to revolvers shot in double action or are DAO as they have even heavier and longer trigger pulls than the Glock NY2 trigger module?

Thanks for the in-depth response!
Respectfully,
Dan
Old 09-24-2012, 21:40   #4
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

Police certainly saw most officers' qualification scores going up once they had switched from revolvers to autos. The pull of a DA revolver, though, is completely different in everything but pull weight when compared to the Glock with the NY-2. A Smith or Ruger revolver will have a smooth, consistent pull from first touch of trigger, and will be less likely to be jerked off target. It's easier to distribute the trigger pressure on a longer, smoother stroke as with the revolver, than with the shorter and more sudden application of force to the trigger which characterises the way the NY-2 trigger is likely to be pulled under stress.

Best,
Mas
Old 09-28-2012, 15:18   #5
DirtyDan

Mas,

I was reading an old article of yours regarding the actual trigger pull weight of Glocks and you mentioned your heavily used NY-1 outfitted G22 trigger pull weight measured just over 6 lbs at the toe and just over 7 lbs measured at the center.The NY2 you tested was just over 8 lbs at the toe and 10 lbs even at the center. So, trigger pull weights can vary between individual examples.

But, on average with a lot of use, how much would one normally expect the NY triggers to lighten up over time? Is this a self-limiting process that would eventually stop?

Also, would the same breaking in/lightening up process happen with the 8 lb + connector?

Thanks again,
Dan
Old 09-28-2012, 21:12   #6
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

Most any gun's pull is going to lighten after a lot of use and wear. That said, it's been my experience that there's at least as much variation between different pistols as there is between a single specimen's pull when new, and after lots of use.

My certification as a Glock armorer has long since lapsed (shame on me), so you might want to call Glock and ask them. It would also be an excellent thread topic to start in the Cop Talk section here at GT. There will be lots of Glock armorers there who have monitored a gazillion Glocks throughout their service life, and they'd have a better collective handle than I would on what to expect as to pull weight reduction over long periods of heavy use.

best,
Mas