SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-01-2012, 10:50   #1
Diesel McBadass
Tactically Epic

ems practical exam retest question

I have to retest my trauma assessment, i took my test with maine ems.

Can i retest that section with a nh tester and then send my stuff into my state or does it need to be done in same state? Both go by registry, nh has all the upcoming tests posted (cant ask them if okay yet there closed weekends) while my state will ocassionally post a test that is already filled up and only 3-4 days away, so basically need to go to nh who seems to have their stuff together.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:26   #2
Diesel McBadass
Tactically Epic

nobody here on the testing side of things?
Old 09-04-2012, 13:32   #3
LT1_MASTER

From what I understand you can. I had several co-workers who travelled to Denver from NE to test their 1-2 retake stations after not passing the first time. I believe as long as it's an nremt practical testing site then you are good.
Old 09-04-2012, 13:45   #4
Halligan

National registry is national hence the name. The only difference is each levels scope of practice once you pass depending on you state/organizations OMD. If you fail you can take the same station (like Trauma) up to 3 times before trouble. 3 fails on one station and you have to retake ALL stations. You also must complete 36 hrs of con-ed on select subjects.

Best of luck to you.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Last edited by Halligan; 09-12-2012 at 05:04..
Halligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 20:33   #5
cruisermedic

Michigan is the same way for now. I know of several people that took a class here in Michigan but tested the practical in ohio(registrys home state I believe). They all passed fine and are licensed as medic the same as I am.
cruisermedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:30   #6
blacktalon606

What do you actually want to get? Do you want to get National Registry certification, or state certification? Yes... "national registry" is a national certification, but it doesn't certify you to work in any state (there may be some odd ball state that this is incorrect in... but it doesn't certify you to work in any state that I know of). You also need a state license. You can be practical tested by anyone certified to do NREMT testing for national certification... but you can't then go get a job with that. In my state of Ohio, when I got my NREMT (in ohio), I was also co-certified in Ohio... but if I wanted to move to Kentucky or Indiana I would have to take another test to get a Ky license or a Ia license. NREMT does not mean you can just go to any state and work. You can have an Ohio EMT license AND an NREMT and get a job... you can have an Ohio EMT license and get a job... but you can't ONLY have a NREMT and get a job without retesting.
blacktalon606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:47   #7
NBT

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktalon606 View Post
What do you actually want to get? Do you want to get National Registry certification, or state certification? Yes... "national registry" is a national certification, but it doesn't certify you to work in any state (there may be some odd ball state that this is incorrect in... but it doesn't certify you to work in any state that I know of). You also need a state license. You can be practical tested by anyone certified to do NREMT testing for national certification... but you can't then go get a job with that. In my state of Ohio, when I got my NREMT (in ohio), I was also co-certified in Ohio... but if I wanted to move to Kentucky or Indiana I would have to take another test to get a Ky license or a Ia license. NREMT does not mean you can just go to any state and work. You can have an Ohio EMT license AND an NREMT and get a job... you can have an Ohio EMT license and get a job... but you can't ONLY have a NREMT and get a job without retesting.

This.... I was in Ohio and all we had was National Registry...actually I was one of the first to get the Certification back in the day. OH recognized that as "The" certification for OH. However....
As stated above, when I moved to FL...I needed to take FL state medic test to become certified here...regardless of a National Registry Cert.
Kick that can a bit further, IF I had taken my National Registry/ Medic in MI, OH would have granted me a license via reciprocity....switch the scenario...and I still had to take the MI state test to obtain a MI license. FL finally got on board with National Registry...but I'm not sure if they just hand you a FL license. Been too long since I went through all that. When I went through National Registry there were like 12 stations...I think they have that reduced to 9 now??
Good luck with your retest...best thing to do is contact National Registry or your instructor at your teaching facility...they would have the answer for you. It's crazy that there are so many variations from State to State....even though it's supposed to be a National License. Work in a State that does not recognize National Registry, and you will have to get the extra CME's to renew that licence. I ran into that here after I got on the FD, we had enough to get our State renewal, National Registry always fell short so I had a PALS, NALS cert as well. Can't hurt, but became a PITA later on...and once I knew I wasn't going anywhere finally got tired of chasing extra CME's around...and just let Registry go.

Last edited by NBT; 09-25-2012 at 06:48..
NBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:31   #8
blacktalon606

NREMT is a national certification, not a national license. Maybe one day it will be a license... but as of today it is not. In June I was an adjunct instructor and signed off 19 people on their practical skills. While there is great overlap between state licensure and national certification... these are NOT the same thing.
blacktalon606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 13:58   #9
huskerbuttons

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktalon606 View Post
You can get a KY card without taking a test. You have to take the HIV course but no state written or practical. This is at all levels of EMS. Indiana is another game altogether. If you are a Paramedic with NREMT there is no test. If you are a Basic EMT then you have to take the state test. Having worked in all 3 states and for multiple agencies I always tell everyone NOT to let their NREMT lapse. You never know where you will end up working.
huskerbuttons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 13:07   #10
Paul53
Geezer Boomer

Check with Maine EMS, or better yet, the regional training office closest to you.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:41   #11
Diesel McBadass
Tactically Epic

i found a test and passed, now waiting for my att