SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-28-2012, 21:17   #1
Dalton Wayne
CLM Number 239
Epic mustache

Send a message via MSN to Dalton Wayne Send a message via Skype™ to Dalton Wayne
Just doubled my ram from 1 gb to 2 gb where......

will I notice improvements? was having problem with threads on here that had more then one imbedded video taking forever to load, seems a little better but not what I was expecting....
Dalton Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 00:59   #2
djpuffnstuff

What OS are you on? You will notice that having more applications running at the same time will be smoother than it used too.

But 2gb really isn't a whole lot depending on the OS.
djpuffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 04:27   #3
Dalton Wayne
CLM Number 239
Epic mustache

Send a message via MSN to Dalton Wayne Send a message via Skype™ to Dalton Wayne
Windows 7 home premium 2 core processor
Old 09-29-2012, 07:07   #4
sbhaven

In this day and age 2gb is really the absolute minimum base line for the amount of RAM a new PC should have. Having multiple videos taking time to load may be symptomatic of other issues. How fast is your broadband connection? How many applications are loaded and running at the same time? Does the browser use a lot of toolbars or add-in's? Was the correct memory installed on the computer?

Installing incorrect memory may cause problems. Make sure the new memory is identical in CAS Level and Clock Timings as the currently installed memory. Sometimes the BIOS on the computer will need to be adjusted after installing new memory.

Sometimes the symptoms of a slow computer are due to it being infected (massively) with malware and viruses. Install (if you havent) and regularly run Malwayrebytes and scan your computer for viruses/malware with your anti virus security software.

Last edited by sbhaven; 09-29-2012 at 07:07..
sbhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:40   #5
wmodavis

Maybe you will see improvments but it depends on lots of factors.

Since you say you just doubled your RAM, does it appear to have solved your problem? You are in the best position to observe if it helped.
wmodavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:49   #6
Dalton Wayne
CLM Number 239
Epic mustache

It helped, would have went 4 gig but not sure the puter would take 4 gig I only have 2 slots DDR2 5300 ram is what I bought, every thing computer wise is up to par, the ram is in and works good, It's an older puter
Old 09-29-2012, 09:02   #7
GlockFanWA

What model of motherboard? Hitting 4GB should be noticeable difference in performance, 2GB, not so much.
GlockFanWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:08   #8
GIockGuy24
Bring M&M's

That should be enough memory for most internet uses. As long as you don't have too many other things going on or too many browser windows open it should be pretty good. There are some Windows 7 "features" that are switched on by default that can be switched off to help speed up the system. what antivirus program are you using?
Old 09-30-2012, 04:47   #9
eracer
Where's my EBT?

Haha, Windows 7 needs 4GB just to blow its nose.
Matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration; we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death. Life is a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. And now...the weather! ---- Bill Hicks
eracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:16   #10
GIockGuy24
Bring M&M's

See this link.

http://www.computingunleashed.com/sp...-guide-to.html

Some good info on Windows 7 there.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:27   #11
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by eracer View Post
Haha, Windows 7 needs 4GB just to blow its nose.
That's what I was thinking... I'm surprised you even got 7 Premium to install w/ 1gig of ram.
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:00   #12
lwt210

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIockGuy24 View Post
See this link.

http://www.computingunleashed.com/sp...-guide-to.html

Some good info on Windows 7 there.
I did some of the things on this list on my netbook and the results were very positive. The flash drive speed booster had a noticeable improvement as did turning off most of the eye candy features of 7.

I am starting to wonder if I should go to 8gb of RAM from 4 gig even with this weak AMD e-300 processor. I am not sure I would notice any faster performance for what light computing I do.

But the tips in that link are solid. Has my system running fast and smooth for the time being.

Last edited by lwt210; 09-30-2012 at 12:00..
lwt210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 13:26   #13
Drjones

Send a message via AIM to Drjones

Windows 7 won't even install with less than 1GB RAM. It should be a crime to sell a Windows PC with less than 4GB RAM.

I consider 4 to be the bare minimum for any Windows 7 machine.

Get as much RAM as you can put into your machine. If your motherboard won't handle more than 2GB RAM, get a new machine or stop complaining.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:24   #14
MySiK26

Send a message via AIM to MySiK26

Crucial's website has a small download that will tell you how much memory your MoBo can handle, and exactly which kind to buy. If you have a slightly older computer or just a netbook, linux runs really good in that area, and isn't much harder than windows to install and get up and running. Like others have said, malware, viruses, bloatware, etc can cause major speed issues. You can always just try a clean install of Windows. Also you didn't state whether you had two 512 sticks and replaced it with two 1gb or you had a 1gb stick with an empty slot in which you threw another 1 gb stick in to
MySiK26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:39   #15
GIockGuy24
Bring M&M's

I have a netbook that is 4 years old and had a BIOS update for running Windows 7. It originally came with Windows XP. I have a notebook that is 5 years old that came with Windows Vista and it will run Windows 7. The chipset will handle 8 GB of memory but the original BIOS would only recognize 4 GB and the updated BIOS will only recognize 6 GB. A friend has a 6 year year old notebook that has a similar CPU and takes the same type of memory but the chipset will only recognize 3 GB of memory.

I took a dual core Pentium from 3 GB of memory to 4 GB of memory with Windows 7 and it made no speed difference at all when speed tests were run. The better processors can sometimes benefit from more memory though.

The old netbook is single core and 32 with 2 GB of memory and it runs Windows 7 with the BIOS update.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:41   #16
GIockGuy24
Bring M&M's

Switching off a lot of the default services in Windows 7 can make big difference.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:56   #17
douggmc

Be aware that some of you folks may very well have a 32bit version of windows 7. If so, putting more than 3GB of RAM in will be meaningless. It will not be recognized by the 32 bit OS ... Which by definition cannot address more than 4GB of memory.

Last edited by douggmc; 10-03-2012 at 07:57..
douggmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:33   #18
captainstormy

Send a message via ICQ to captainstormy Send a message via AIM to captainstormy Send a message via Yahoo to captainstormy
Quote:
Originally Posted by douggmc View Post
Be aware that some of you folks may very well have a 32bit version of windows 7. If so, putting more than 3GB of RAM in will be meaningless. It will not be recognized by the 32 bit OS ... Which by definition cannot address more than 4GB of memory.
Certainly true! I'm not sure why they really even built win 7 to have a 32 bit version. I guess I'm really too young to remember but did 16 bit stuff get support for this long once 32 bit came out?
Old 10-03-2012, 11:00   #19
lwt210

Mine is Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit and I have yet to see the cpu/ram meter hit 50 percent.

It usually hovers in the high 20s when idle and only goes high 30s on light web surfing.

Not sure that meter is accurate but 4 gb RAM "seems" to be more than enough for my netbook hence the reason I am hesitant to go to 8. It's cheap to do so but I'm not sure I would see an ounce of difference.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:54   #20
douggmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwt210 View Post
Mine is Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit and I have yet to see the cpu/ram meter hit 50 percent.

It usually hovers in the high 20s when idle and only goes high 30s on light web surfing.

Not sure that meter is accurate but 4 gb RAM "seems" to be more than enough for my netbook hence the reason I am hesitant to go to 8. It's cheap to do so but I'm not sure I would see an ounce of difference.
Makes sense. I would bet that most folks doing most activities on any relatively modern computer would benefit MUCH more by replacing their HD with an SSD ... than they would by upgrading RAM beyond 4GB. Perceived and real performance can really be felt from this upgrade by most folks.

To the OP though ... I think you are unfortunately "pushing" the end of life for that computer spec/setup. You would probably be fine as long as you keep it clean of unecessary startup items and bloat that usually occurs over time with any Windows install. If you have the ability, you could try a fresh Win 7 install. OS degradation over time is an unfortunate reality with Windows (albeit Win7 is much much better). I wouldn't put much more money into it though. You can get a more modern computer for a few hundred bucks off craigslist (something with a Core 2 or iX series CPU from Intel) or even a bit more new: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Gateway+...&skuId=5424595

Hard to justify throwing in 100 or 200 here and there on memory or hard drives when you can get a new one for 399
douggmc is offline   Reply With Quote