Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-29-2012, 19:32   #41
agile_1

I ccw where ever I legally can

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaMatt View Post
So say you are invited to a family dinner, a dinner at your boss' place, or lunch with friends that aren't really close. Do you carry?
I do not carry at work due to company policy. Any other time I can legally ccw, I do.
agile_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 20:13   #42
MrGlock21
NRA Instructor

Yes.
If the good stuff is offered and the whiskey going smoothly down the esophagus will likely scramble the brain, my wife takes care of car key and gun.
But the Spyderco and a small Surefire stays with me no matter what.
Old 09-29-2012, 21:04   #43
ROGER4314

I always carry and like others have said, if they don't like my carry pistol, they couldn't like me.

I am especially convinced this is the best path after recent events. My 35 year old friend "K" was visited his Granny and left his carry piece behind as he was on familiar turf. Two neighborhood thugs jumped him and beat him to death to steal his wrist watch.

Since "K"'s death, I've talked to his grieving father several times. He asked me to share this story and to encourage all readers to carry. He lost his son but maybe his loss can change the lives of others.

I carry always and you should, too!

Flash

Loving the Harley idle....potato, potato, potato.
ROGER4314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 21:36   #44
SFla27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROGER4314 View Post
I always carry and like others have said, if they don't like my carry pistol, they couldn't like me.

I am especially convinced this is the best path after recent events. My 35 year old friend "K" was visited his Granny and left his carry piece behind as he was on familiar turf. Two neighborhood thugs jumped him and beat him to death to steal his wrist watch.

Since "K"'s death, I've talked to his grieving father several times. He asked me to share this story and to encourage all readers to carry. He lost his son but maybe his loss can change the lives of others.

I carry always and you should, too!

Flash
Flash, sorry to hear about your friend. I hope that those two criminals were caught, prosecuted and (hopefully) are the continuous recipients of painful torture in prison. But I digress.

The point is you carry not necessarily for those times when having dinner with family or friends, but for the times before and after.

A very good friend of mine became a victim of violent crime a number of years ago in a similar situation. He, his wife and young kids were coming home from dinner out. Upon parking at their house and getting out of the car, he noticed a few suspicious looking guys walking over in his direction.

Very soon after they all got into the house (and shut the door), those guys were at the front door trying to get in. After knocking and trying to get someone inside to open the door, at least one of those guys began shooting through the door. My friend was hit, twice I believe. Non-life threatening injuries. He was behind the front door deciding whether to call the police. It all happened very quickly from the time they got out of the car to when the shooting happened.

After a number of shots were fired through the door, the assailants left. There were no leads in the case and no one was brought to justice.

Long story short, my friend and his family moved shortly after that incident.

My friend is a decently-big guy. 6'4" and at least mid-200lbs. The very mention of the word "gun" gets him visually shaken.

It pains me to say my friend was a victim.

If violent crime is headed my way, I'll be armed, thank you.

Last edited by SFla27; 09-29-2012 at 21:40..
SFla27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 21:49   #45
BMWMD

Of course. Everywhere.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Old 09-29-2012, 22:11   #46
Chowser

Absolutely! Was just out at dinner tonight with some friends. I forgot my wallet. But I didn't forget my gun!
Chowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 22:19   #47
DaneA

Why not?
DaneA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:29   #48
collim1
Shower Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawG26 View Post
I've carried at my wedding.

(And at every other wedding I've attended.)
Yup, I got married with a jframe in my pocket. No one knew. I try to carry more gun than a jframe, but sometimes pocket carry can't be beat.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:34   #49
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eracer View Post
everywhere it's legal to do so.

^
^^^
^^^^
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:53   #50
Louisville Glocker
Urban Redneck

I think you can see the consensus here: carry where it is legal.

My main problems come around sports. I've been known to carry while playing basketball (well nobody noticed, but I've told people about it). But I'd only do that in half-court games. If the games are getting serious, no way I could have a gun on me. Too much body contact.

Likewise, I coach a soccer team, and I'm running for the whole game. I choose not to carry there. But I do have a gun 50 feet or so away in my car. I actually have heard gunshots during a practice once last year. Some nearby forested area and I think someone was messing around with targets or something (not wise).

But a dinner party or lunch? That's a no-brainer.
Louisville Glocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:28   #51
Clutch Cargo
Amsterdam Haze

Armed criminals do not carry based upon "social" occasion and neither do I.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:04   #52
eracer
Where's my EBT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFla27 View Post
Very soon after they all got into the house (and shut the door), those guys were at the front door trying to get in. After knocking and trying to get someone inside to open the door, at least one of those guys began shooting through the door. My friend was hit, twice I believe.
Well...damn!

I have to keep reminding myself that vigilance is just as important as the ammo I carry in my gun.

The most likely reason for having a concealed weapon is to defend oneself against a two-legged predator. They tend to ambush hunt, and use the element of surprise to their advantage. Training to spot potential trouble and react to it when needed is something I need to do more of.

I do fall into the trap of thinking that my gun protects me, when the reality is that my gun is tool, not a talisman.

Thanks for posting your friend's unfortunate incident. It can serve as lesson for all of us.
Matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration; we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death. Life is a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. And now...the weather! ---- Bill Hicks
eracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:48   #53
Snowsport

Quote:
Which are the least likely situations in which you'll need to carry.

Except maybe in grizzly country., and then my pocket pistol won't do me much good.
really?
Snowsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:54   #54
beatcop

The one time I thought about it at length...family xmas party, I didn't. A delinquent youth got upset and tried to find a handgun to use at the other houselhold...talk about a bad situation. Spouse and I left while kid was rumaging in his parents room for the colt mustang. Merry bleeping Christmas....have not been there or spoken in 8 years.

Lesson is: Don't invite stupid into your life. I had clues the kid was a mutant, but still went...for the "family".

Last edited by beatcop; 09-30-2012 at 06:55..
beatcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:03   #55
Snowsport

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatcop View Post

Lesson is: Don't invite stupid into your life. I had clues the kid was a mutant, but still went...for the "family".
Agreed. This and situational awareness go a long way.
Snowsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:49   #56
ChicagoZman

Anytime I'm in or out of the house except in bed (on the dresser), in the shower (on the bathroom counter) or in the People's Republic of Illinois (unloaded and cased in the trunk of the car).
Glocks: 17, 17L, 22, 22C, 23, 24C, 27, 34
ChicagoZman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:15   #57
jamaicanj

Quote:
Everywhere it's legal to do so.
Agreed
Phillipians 4:13
Go Gators/Wildcats!!!
Glock Certified Armorer & GSSF Member
jamaicanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:32   #58
jpa
CLM Number 268
Charter Lifetime Member

Send a message via AIM to jpa Send a message via Yahoo to jpa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce M View Post
I have been going to places where it wasn't even a question of whether I might need a gun but that a gun was going to be in my hand(s) as I get out of the car for more than three decades now.

I agree that if it is not mandated one should not go to places where one thinks one might need a gun. In a social setting or for that matter if I elect to go out somewhere for dinner by myself, I have no complete control over who else may enter a business after I am there. However there is a substantial difference in the potential quality of people one may run into in places to which the public is invited and in private homes with people who choose their friends wisely.
There are no guarantees you won't need that gun anywhere you go. That is the point I'm making. If you have to anticipate needing a gun when you go somewhere, why in the world would you go there? I think we're on the same page with that when you say you wouldn't go to a family gathering if you thought you needed to bring your gun. My concern isn't with the family event itself or being around friends/family, but what about traveling to get there? I'm a firm believer in having a gun and never needing it. I can't predict what's going to happen when I go somewhere, so I prefer to be prepared.

I've also found that when you start making decisions as to when you need your gun, you start making excuses why you won't need it. Then it becomes a slippery slope and you start carrying less and less. I don't want to start down that path until I get to the point where I don't carry more than I carry.
Big Dawg #1408, TT #1408
Moto Club #1408, GSSF Member, NRA RSO
NRA Benefactor Member
jpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:45   #59
MadMonkey
Spershul Furces

Send a message via AIM to MadMonkey Send a message via Yahoo to MadMonkey
I carry everywhere, and my family knows that I do. They also know that if they request that I remove my gun or leave it at home, I'm leaving or not showing up in the first place. I try not to compromise. Luckily my family is level-headed enough that all of them are okay with firearms and most have their own.

I also ask permission to OC (when I'm OWB and wearing a cover garment like a jacket in cold weather) at friend's houses and haven't been turned down yet... the majority of my friends are gun-friendly though.

I don't carry based on the "likelihood" of needing a gun. You never know, and it's just about impossible to guess when you'll need one unless your only travel is between a secure bunker and a gang hideout.

Last edited by MadMonkey; 09-30-2012 at 12:46..
MadMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 13:15   #60
John Rambo
Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaMatt View Post
So say you are invited to a family dinner, a dinner at your boss' place, or lunch with friends that aren't really close. Do you carry?
Always. If the people are uncomfortable with guns where I'm going I'll try to minimize the risk of them noticing when hugging me or looking at me sitting down by carrying a pocket pistol instead of IWB, but its always there.
John Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote