GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2012, 16:26   #26
mntrpr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 971
Hey bro', I'd GTFO if I were you!!!

Good luck!
mntrpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 16:42   #27
blueiron
Clown move, bro
 
blueiron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: On the corner of Gang and Ghetto
Posts: 13,230
One thing to consider are the upcoming Federal tax hikes to pay for Dr. Barry's and Nurse Nancy's ghetto give-a-ways and patent medicines for all.

Talk to a CPA or your tax advisor for what your increases are going to be. If it is minimal, retire. If it is going to be substantial, work long enough in 2013 to pay off the increase and then retire.
__________________
Imported from the future in 1984. Returned to the past in 2007

Dear God, this is one of the dumbest ideas I've ever heard. It's got to rank right up there with CALEA. -Pepper45
blueiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 17:11   #28
Bruce M
Senior Member
 
Bruce M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: S FL
Posts: 20,154
As several have said you need to get with a competent financial planner or two to determine if it is financially advisable to retire. Over the years I have talked to more than a few guys who retired as early as they could but wished they had been able to stay another couple of years. Lately that has not been as common.

We are eligible at 25 continuous years or age 52, have a 5 year DROP, and 3% per year. Reasons given to me have ranged from financial, to not quite ready to move, spouse still working, child still in school, to just not quite ready.
__________________
Bruce
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.

Last edited by Bruce M; 10-01-2012 at 17:25..
Bruce M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 17:15   #29
JC2317
Senior Member
 
JC2317's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 162
Brother 29 years ! You have served your time! I can't comment on the financial aspect of your decision, but I have gone through almost the same thing. With 22 years in I was feeling the bad knee also. All 22 on the street, and I didn't think a desk was for me. It started to affect my work, it was a tough decision. I decided to get the knee done, then get out. Well about two weeks before my surgery the knee gave up. I was bouncing down my stairs at home and bang, my patella snapped and took part of the bone with it. Surgery, complications, rehab...over a year later I retired. Tough decision. I miss the job and the people everyday. However, I think about how my knee could have went on a call, maybe on a rooftop, or a fire escape ladder, or struggling with a skell. I was lucky. I'm almost 90% I have moved to a better state, and found a new career. But, I still miss the job.
It's a tough call. I won't tell you you will get past the job because if you are like me you won't. Especially after 29 years it is in your blood, you can tell by your post. I just wanted to tell you my story, I hope it helps.
Good luck. Thanks for your service and God Bless.
Stay Safe.
__________________
September 11, 2001 -- Never Forget
JC2317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 17:28   #30
SpoiledBySig
Senior Member
 
SpoiledBySig's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Port St. Lucie, FL
Posts: 1,888
I'm in my 29th year of police work right now. I retired from a busier S. Florida city department after 20+ years in 2004 (many cities have a 20 year in and out retirement plan).
After almost a year of retirement, I started as a University Police Officer in 2005. I'm 54 right now and I feel like I have been falling apart for the past few years. Some officers fall apart sooner, some later.

If you have some sort of medical coverage, retirement isn't such a bad idea. My nest egg is fine and has been fine, it's just that I have no such medical coverage and I fear that if I retire again...I'll start falling apart more and medical bills will deplete my nest egg.

Best of luck in your decision making. It sure isn't easy.
__________________
That's my story...and i'm stickin' to it!!!

Last edited by SpoiledBySig; 10-01-2012 at 17:50..
SpoiledBySig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 19:36   #31
boomhower
Senior Member
 
boomhower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 3,282
I am retiring the day I hit my 30 years to qualify for full retirement. Of course we don't have desk jobs either. 30 years of patrol will be enough for me. Depending on how my sick time works out over the years I should be 55-56 when the day comes. Then I'll move onto something else where my wife doesn't worry if I'm coming home that morning.
boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 19:54   #32
lawman800
Juris Glocktor
 
lawman800's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Out the frying pan & into the fire!
Posts: 37,330
Blog Entries: 1
I had a long talk with a buddy who is nearing his twenty on the job. He wants to get out because truth be told, it's a young man's game. You can't keep up anymore other than as a desk jockey which is not what we signed up for. Desk jockeys and admin pukes were the ones we made fun of when we were young, hot blooded, eager rooks. Now we either become them or we perish... what a choice life throws you.

I have a few more years to go unfortunately... a lot more than he does. But that is life... and also because I am younger....
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron:
I've said it before and I'll say it here: they'd look better with lividity.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 20:18   #33
Cav
Senior Member
 
Cav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: The Great State of Texas
Posts: 2,244
Retire, take the money, and run.

At 29-30 years your retirement should be good. If not, get a part time job doing a more laid back thing, odds are you will work less and make the same if not more at the end of the month.
__________________
We need more restrictions on the 1st Amendment and less on the 2nd Amendment.
Cav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 20:34   #34
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?
 
TBO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: NRA Life Member
Posts: 43,692
Blog Entries: 1


Retire bro, and thank you for your years of service.


__________________
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”


Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 20:57   #35
rgregoryb
Sapere aude
 
rgregoryb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Republic of Alabama
Posts: 12,704


I retired 12/2004 after 28 1/2 years......best thing I ever did, don't look back!
__________________
"I don't know why we are here, but I'm pretty sure that it is not in order to enjoy ourselves."
Ludwig Wittgenstein

"demography is destiny"
rgregoryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 21:55   #36
Sgt127
Senior Member
 
Sgt127's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,258
We can retire at 25 years of service, any age. At 25 years, the city covers some of the medical insurance. At 30, they pay the same amount as a regular employee until age 65. Since I will be 56 at 30 years, its worth it for me to stay on. But, once you get the magic letter that starts "You are eligible to retire..." Its tougher..I got that last year.
Sgt127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:27   #37
lawman800
Juris Glocktor
 
lawman800's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Out the frying pan & into the fire!
Posts: 37,330
Blog Entries: 1
Oh, and get the F out of CA... oh wait, you're not here anyway... see, you are ahead of the game already.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron:
I've said it before and I'll say it here: they'd look better with lividity.

Last edited by lawman800; 10-02-2012 at 08:27..
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 00:11   #38
4teecal
Cockroach
 
4teecal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Australia
Posts: 360
29 years is a long time. I just hit 18 and took a supervisors job. I still have another 20 until retirement.
__________________
People see a police car in their rear vision mirror and think...I might get a ticket.
People see a HWP car in the rear vision mirror and think...how many tickets am I going to get!!!
4teecal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:54   #39
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member
 
Gallium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 47,557


29 years? That's about 30 more years than I have in.

Put in perspective, more than 1/2 of the world's population is under 29.

Even after NINE years, you would have served longer than many serve in the armed forces, and you'd have done so in a full time capacity.

There is a lot of life out there to live. You did your time many times over. As you say, if your numbers can work, find something else you love doing and dabble in that for a bit at your own pace.

Thank you for sticking in there for the long haul.


- G
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:33   #40
igor
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: near Annapolis Maryland
Posts: 583
i did 39 plus years also most of it on the street, as a supervisor, then i wednt to a university for a slower pace and became a bike cop. i did that for 9 years before i retired again. spent the last 6 years as a deputy for our sheriffs dept hauling prisoners. while our cvounty does not have free retirees health care it was a very good price.
now being retired wdell my hip and knee dont hurt all that much any more and its great. brother you have done enough. the university gig allowed me to slow down in pace and get in good shape. the sheriffs also did that. now at 66 my give a **** is busted, and i like it that way
__________________
igor
igor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:55   #41
CanIhaveGasCash
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 8,000 feet.
Posts: 787
Thanks for your three decades of service!
CanIhaveGasCash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:37   #42
Vigilant
Senior Member
 
Vigilant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Inside the Perimeter
Posts: 8,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman800 View Post
I had a long talk with a buddy who is nearing his twenty on the job. He wants to get out because truth be told, it's a young man's game. You can't keep up anymore other than as a desk jockey which is not what we signed up for. Desk jockeys and admin pukes were the ones we made fun of when we were young, hot blooded, eager rooks. Now we either become them or we perish... what a choice life throws you.

I have a few more years to go unfortunately... a lot more than he does. But that is life... and also because I am younger....
Don't you have a bar card to fall back on? If so, you will be far better off than many, and could still remain pretty close to the job. Prosecuting attorney, perhaps?
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum
Vigilant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 14:34   #43
nikerret
Mr. Awesome
 
nikerret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Kansas
Posts: 6,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro566 View Post
Get out when you can brother...there's a reason we are able to retire earlier than others. This job isn't meant to be done for 30 freakin years!
What the hell are you talking about?
__________________
-Ambition is only appreciated after success.
-3/325:Now, where's my dedicated bodyguard? Oh, yeah, he's staring back at me in the mirror.
-"Every fear hides a wish"
nikerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 21:45   #44
Hack
Gold Membership
Crazy CO
 
Hack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Kansas, near the bison.
Posts: 22,958
Send a message via AIM to Hack Send a message via Yahoo to Hack
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikerret View Post
What the hell are you talking about?
LE does wear the body out. You'll see when you approach my age, of fifty or so.
__________________
Arming with truth defeats ignorance. Jesus said, "I Am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. No one comes to the Father but by me." John 14:6
"Opinions expressed in this article are those of the author
and do not necessarily represent the opinions of the Federal
Bureau of Prisons or the Department of Justice."
In God we trust, all others we monitor.
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 00:38   #45
lawman800
Juris Glocktor
 
lawman800's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Out the frying pan & into the fire!
Posts: 37,330
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilant View Post
Don't you have a bar card to fall back on? If so, you will be far better off than many, and could still remain pretty close to the job. Prosecuting attorney, perhaps?
No love for the law profession, none whatsoever. But the degree is very versatile.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron:
I've said it before and I'll say it here: they'd look better with lividity.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:04   #46
jbglock
Senior Member
 
jbglock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 467
You gave enough a long time ago. I love the job but I'll say you sound like you gave more than your share already. Injuries and age are taking their toll on me also. I know I won't make it to regular retirement and will have to medical out one day. Hopefully I've got another 5+ years left though.
jbglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:36   #47
nikerret
Mr. Awesome
 
nikerret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Kansas
Posts: 6,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack View Post
LE does wear the body out. You'll see when you approach my age, of fifty or so.
I was referring to the ability to retire earlier than others, not the reason itself. We're on KPERs. Same retirement as teachers.
__________________
-Ambition is only appreciated after success.
-3/325:Now, where's my dedicated bodyguard? Oh, yeah, he's staring back at me in the mirror.
-"Every fear hides a wish"
nikerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:45   #48
Hack
Gold Membership
Crazy CO
 
Hack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Kansas, near the bison.
Posts: 22,958
Send a message via AIM to Hack Send a message via Yahoo to Hack
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikerret View Post
I was referring to the ability to retire earlier than others, not the reason itself. We're on KPERs. Same retirement as teachers.
I'm not familiar with KPERS, not having worked for the state of Kansas. So, they don't award y'all with an early retirement if y'all want it?
__________________
Arming with truth defeats ignorance. Jesus said, "I Am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. No one comes to the Father but by me." John 14:6
"Opinions expressed in this article are those of the author
and do not necessarily represent the opinions of the Federal
Bureau of Prisons or the Department of Justice."
In God we trust, all others we monitor.
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 20:57   #49
Grumpy0358
Member
 
Grumpy0358's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Georgia
Posts: 59
Damn, guys. I've got 33 1/2 years in and ride a FLHRP everyday.
Ya'll are making me feel old!
__________________
I.P.F.F.I.P. / O.W.P. '98
Glock 22 (Duty)
Glock 27 (BU)
Kahr CW45 (OD)
AMD65 x 2 (FUN)
Grumpy0358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:52   #50
Rex G
Senior Member
 
Rex G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: SE TX
Posts: 1,231
Send a message via AIM to Rex G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy0358 View Post
Damn, guys. I've got 33 1/2 years in and ride a FLHRP everyday.
Ya'll are making me feel old!
You certainly have my respect!

Thanks for all of the replies and support!
Rex G is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 20:58.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,435
428 Members
1,007 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42