Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-30-2012, 21:33   #21
Hack
Gold Membership
Crazy CO

Send a message via AIM to Hack Send a message via Yahoo to Hack
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron View Post
Unless Rex G is a Fed, OWCP won't apply.

Many States require the claimant to be examined by a physician of the employer's choosing and then the findings are reviewed by a medical board prior to awarding a medical retirement.
So, they are pretty much possibly out of luck? Sometimes I forget how good we have it.
Bureau of Prisons or the Department of Justice."
In God we trust, all others we monitor.

Last edited by Hack; 09-30-2012 at 21:33..
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 23:38   #22
scottydl

29 years? Get out of here, brother!

Seriously, you have put in your time and then some. See what the retirement papers say, i.e. it may be useful to stay around a few more months or you may be good to go ASAP (with no real financial benefit for staying). If you can go, then go. No shame in it AT ALL.

There's some stat on Chicago cops (probably true of many big cities) that they work well into their late 50's to 60's and on average only live 2-3 years once they retire. Don't be one of those guys.
scottydl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:34   #23
lwt210

Twenty nine years?

They ought to give you the key to the city. Yeah, you have done your time. You should go enjoy life a little away from this job.

If I could go tomorrow I would. Seriously.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:36   #24
merlynusn

We have a 30 year retirement in NC. 30 Years or age 55 with at least 5 years on. Retirement is based on years of service times a percentage of high 3 salary.

I'd say it's time to go. You've noticed that you're slowing down and it's affecting you. Go ahead and enjoy your retirement.

For us though, if you have a disability retirement, you can only earn so much of a salary afterward before it starts cutting back on your disability pension. Make sure you talk to your financial adviser. Then talk to HR about all that stuff before you go to the doctor, just so you know. Also, don't hide your injuries. I lied for years about my eyes and when it was time for eye surgery, I realized "Huh, I probably should make sure I tell them the right thing since they are trying to fix it."

That's my only issue here is that I have no desire to wait 30 years to retire, not with the stresses of this job. I too have heard (and seen) the officers who die 3-5 years after retirement and I have no desire to let that happen to me.
merlynusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 14:24   #25
Rex G

Send a message via AIM to Rex G
Thanks for the replies and support. It is actually a matter of record that my right knee had a tendency to pop out of joint before I hired on in 1983. I had to get an independent doc to write a clearance letter that indicated my knee would not prevent me from performing a peace officer's job. The knee has held up for nearly three decades, and counting, thankfully, but is clearly becoming a limiting factor.

I have taken one step to limit my exposure to physical fights; in the summer of 2010, I applied for a patrol photographer/fingerprint unit position, and got it. It is not a CSU/CSI type of job, as I am still a first responder, in regular uniform, driving a fully marked Crown
Vic, and if I am the only available unit, I will still be dispatched to a high-priority patrol call, but my general work-load is more peaceful. I do evaluate rookies, as part of the FTO program, several weeks a year, which entails getting into all kinds of things, but it is understood the rookie is the one to do the hands-on work, so that balances out, somewhat.

My stats remain comparatively high, particularly for primary calls cleared, in spite of the fact that one print/photo call can take several hours, so I reckon the taxpayers are still getting a good value for their money.
Rex G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 16:26   #26
mntrpr

Hey bro', I'd GTFO if I were you!!!

Good luck!
mntrpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 16:42   #27
blueiron

One thing to consider are the upcoming Federal tax hikes to pay for Dr. Barry's and Nurse Nancy's ghetto give-a-ways and patent medicines for all.

Talk to a CPA or your tax advisor for what your increases are going to be. If it is minimal, retire. If it is going to be substantial, work long enough in 2013 to pay off the increase and then retire.
blueiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 17:11   #28
Bruce M

As several have said you need to get with a competent financial planner or two to determine if it is financially advisable to retire. Over the years I have talked to more than a few guys who retired as early as they could but wished they had been able to stay another couple of years. Lately that has not been as common.

We are eligible at 25 continuous years or age 52, have a 5 year DROP, and 3% per year. Reasons given to me have ranged from financial, to not quite ready to move, spouse still working, child still in school, to just not quite ready.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.

Last edited by Bruce M; 10-01-2012 at 17:25..
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 17:15   #29
JC2317

Brother 29 years ! You have served your time! I can't comment on the financial aspect of your decision, but I have gone through almost the same thing. With 22 years in I was feeling the bad knee also. All 22 on the street, and I didn't think a desk was for me. It started to affect my work, it was a tough decision. I decided to get the knee done, then get out. Well about two weeks before my surgery the knee gave up. I was bouncing down my stairs at home and bang, my patella snapped and took part of the bone with it. Surgery, complications, rehab...over a year later I retired. Tough decision. I miss the job and the people everyday. However, I think about how my knee could have went on a call, maybe on a rooftop, or a fire escape ladder, or struggling with a skell. I was lucky. I'm almost 90% I have moved to a better state, and found a new career. But, I still miss the job.
It's a tough call. I won't tell you you will get past the job because if you are like me you won't. Especially after 29 years it is in your blood, you can tell by your post. I just wanted to tell you my story, I hope it helps.
Good luck. Thanks for your service and God Bless.
Stay Safe.
Old 10-01-2012, 17:28   #30
SpoiledBySig

I'm in my 29th year of police work right now. I retired from a busier S. Florida city department after 20+ years in 2004 (many cities have a 20 year in and out retirement plan).
After almost a year of retirement, I started as a University Police Officer in 2005. I'm 54 right now and I feel like I have been falling apart for the past few years. Some officers fall apart sooner, some later.

If you have some sort of medical coverage, retirement isn't such a bad idea. My nest egg is fine and has been fine, it's just that I have no such medical coverage and I fear that if I retire again...I'll start falling apart more and medical bills will deplete my nest egg.

Best of luck in your decision making. It sure isn't easy.

Last edited by SpoiledBySig; 10-01-2012 at 17:50..
SpoiledBySig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 19:36   #31
boomhower

I am retiring the day I hit my 30 years to qualify for full retirement. Of course we don't have desk jobs either. 30 years of patrol will be enough for me. Depending on how my sick time works out over the years I should be 55-56 when the day comes. Then I'll move onto something else where my wife doesn't worry if I'm coming home that morning.
boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 19:54   #32
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

I had a long talk with a buddy who is nearing his twenty on the job. He wants to get out because truth be told, it's a young man's game. You can't keep up anymore other than as a desk jockey which is not what we signed up for. Desk jockeys and admin pukes were the ones we made fun of when we were young, hot blooded, eager rooks. Now we either become them or we perish... what a choice life throws you.

I have a few more years to go unfortunately... a lot more than he does. But that is life... and also because I am younger....
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 20:18   #33
Cav

Retire, take the money, and run.

At 29-30 years your retirement should be good. If not, get a part time job doing a more laid back thing, odds are you will work less and make the same if not more at the end of the month.
Old 10-01-2012, 20:34   #34
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Retire bro, and thank you for your years of service.

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 20:57   #35
rgregoryb
Sapere aude

I retired 12/2004 after 28 1/2 years......best thing I ever did, don't look back!

"demography is destiny"
rgregoryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 21:55   #36
Sgt127

We can retire at 25 years of service, any age. At 25 years, the city covers some of the medical insurance. At 30, they pay the same amount as a regular employee until age 65. Since I will be 56 at 30 years, its worth it for me to stay on. But, once you get the magic letter that starts "You are eligible to retire..." Its tougher..I got that last year.
Sgt127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:27   #37
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Oh, and get the F out of CA... oh wait, you're not here anyway... see, you are ahead of the game already.

Last edited by lawman800; 10-02-2012 at 08:27..
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 00:11   #38
4teecal
Token Aussie.

29 years is a long time. I just hit 18 and took a supervisors job. I still have another 20 until retirement.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:54   #39
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

29 years? That's about 30 more years than I have in.

Put in perspective, more than 1/2 of the world's population is under 29.

Even after NINE years, you would have served longer than many serve in the armed forces, and you'd have done so in a full time capacity.

There is a lot of life out there to live. You did your time many times over. As you say, if your numbers can work, find something else you love doing and dabble in that for a bit at your own pace.

Thank you for sticking in there for the long haul.

- G
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:33   #40
igor

i did 39 plus years also most of it on the street, as a supervisor, then i wednt to a university for a slower pace and became a bike cop. i did that for 9 years before i retired again. spent the last 6 years as a deputy for our sheriffs dept hauling prisoners. while our cvounty does not have free retirees health care it was a very good price.
now being retired wdell my hip and knee dont hurt all that much any more and its great. brother you have done enough. the university gig allowed me to slow down in pace and get in good shape. the sheriffs also did that. now at 66 my give a **** is busted, and i like it that way