Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-09-2012, 20:03   #1
CAH21SF

185gr fp Berry's plated question

I'm going to reloaded my first 10 for testers of Berry's plated 185 gr flat point bullets. I'm reloading for the purpose of plinking. So I want the least amount of powder to cycle the gun properly. Berry's says to reload to the specs of simular shape and weight bullets. I haven' found any info on 185gr FP bullets. I have have found info on JSWC 185r and for the powered I'm using its says minimum charge 4.5gr of powder and COL of 1.135.

What is your opinion on using this the JSWC info for a FP?

Thanks
Chris
Old 10-09-2012, 21:23   #2
shotgunred
reloading nut

I assume you are asking for 45 info?
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 22:02   #3
fredj338

Not sure why you want to load the "least amount of powder", but use starting data for a JHP w/ the longest OAL that runs in your gun. You will not likely get 100% functioning w/ stock springs, but can work the load up to 100% reliability.
The reason I am not a big fan of bunnyfart loads was brought home at an IDPA match Sat. GUy loading Solo & 147gr bullets, bullet barely coming out of the barrel & he got a squib. He wasn't sure & was doing a tap/rack when, as an SO, I stopped him. Bullet was lodged in the bbl. Then it happened again during his reshoot. Puts some powder in it so you know it goes bang.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 10-09-2012 at 22:06..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 22:28   #4
SARDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
...The reason I am not a big fan of bunnyfart loads was brought home at an IDPA match Sat. GUy loading Solo & 147gr bullets, bullet barely coming out of the barrel & he got a squib. He wasn't sure & was doing a tap/rack when, as an SO, I stopped him. Bullet was lodged in the bbl. Then it happened again during his reshoot. Puts some powder in it so you know it goes bang.
You know that's all I shoot Fred. No problems with 147 reliability in a round that's making PF. Your guy probably wasn't, I imagine...
SARDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:01   #5
CAH21SF

[QUOTE=fredj338;19502523]Not sure why you want to load the "least amount of powder", but use starting data for a JHP w/ the longest OAL that runs in your gun. You will not likely get 100% functioning w/ stock springs, but can work the load up to 100% reliability.

I haven't had any problems with light loads, only loads with no powder. Which to me are quite obvious.

Oh forgot that important bit of info....yes loading .45.

I like your point on starting with the longest OAL. Am I correct saying the purpose in running the longest OAL that fits. Is to reduce excessive chamber pressures and issues of that nature.
Thanks

Last edited by CAH21SF; 10-10-2012 at 08:02..
CAH21SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:21   #6
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARDG View Post
You know that's all I shoot Fred. No problems with 147 reliability in a round that's making PF. Your guy probably wasn't, I imagine...
Oh I know it's what most of the gamers are shooting. My point was when you get to where recoil & blast are so low, it may be diff to determine if you had a squib. In this case, he was very lucky.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
Old 10-10-2012, 09:23   #7
fredj338

[quote=CAH21SF;19503176]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
I like your point on starting with the longest OAL. Am I correct saying the purpose in running the longest OAL that fits. Is to reduce excessive chamber pressures and issues of that nature.
Thanks
Correct, think of it as insurance, belt & suspenders. Many times, a longer round will also feed better. Keep in mind it must fit the chamber & magazine. So start w/ the chamber, then double check they fit all the way down the mag.