Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-26-2012, 21:45   #1
flw

Federal HST Tactical

Are the Federal HST Tactical bonded or not?

Also is there a simple list somewhere that shows current makers of bonded JHP bullets? Labeling is not always clear and performance specs are often missing or overstated.
flw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 21:59   #2
Tiro Fijo

Fed. Tactial HST is bonded. Normal HST is not. If you're not LE then there is really no need for bonded bullets for self defense. In fact, most bonded bullets don't mushroom as well as non-bonded on people. Rest assured however that some keyboard commando who watches too many Bruce Willis movies will tell you that without them you will certainly die in a shootout with a Mexican cartel as you're strolling through the Piggily Wiggily parking lot.
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 22:41   #3
unit1069

Quote:
Originally Posted by flw View Post
Are the Federal HST Tactical bonded or not?
From everything I've found there is no bonded HST round. There are Federal Tactical Bonded rounds and HST rounds, but the HST are not bonded.

Quote:
Also is there a simple list somewhere that shows current makers of bonded JHP bullets? Labeling is not always clear and performance specs are often missing or overstated.
I don't know of any list of all bonded ammos but the box should specify the word "bonded" somewhere. All the Internet ammo dealers' web sites make certain that their products are clearly identified.

Last edited by unit1069; 10-27-2012 at 09:34..
unit1069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 22:46   #4
dkf

If it has "HST" in the description it is not a bonded bullet. Every HST round on Federal's sight is listed as "Tactical". So "Tactical HST" non bonded and "Tactical Bonded" is bonded.

Last edited by dkf; 10-26-2012 at 22:48..
dkf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:49   #5
kaech

HST bonded..

No such thing.
Federal tactical bonded is Not the hst bullet

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 10-27-2012, 06:50   #6
kaech

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf View Post
If it has "HST" in the description it is not a bonded bullet. Every HST round on Federal's sight is listed as "Tactical". So "Tactical HST" non bonded and "Tactical Bonded" is bonded.
^^^ THIS

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 10-27-2012, 07:13   #7
hotpig
CLM Number 211
IAFF Local 4766

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf View Post

What he said.

HST has been moved around a lot since its inception. Originally it was going to replace the Classic line of jhp. It performed so well in tests that the sales were restricted to LE. However it ended up performing bad and was recalled.

It was reintroduced under the Premium line and stayed in that box until 2007 when it was consolidated with the Tactical line.

Just to head questions off. If you have HST that is in a Classic Box use it as target ammo. If it is in the Premium or Tactical box it is good.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:37   #8
bunk22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo View Post
Fed. Tactial HST is bonded. Normal HST is not. If you're not LE then there is really no need for bonded bullets for self defense. In fact, most bonded bullets don't mushroom as well as non-bonded on people. Rest assured however that some keyboard commando who watches too many Bruce Willis movies will tell you that without them you will certainly die in a shootout with a Mexican cartel as you're strolling through the Piggily Wiggily parking lot.
Almost as bad as an internet commando give other internet commando's advice. How's that video coming again? Usually those who call others as such are the biggest internet commando's of the bunch.

bunk22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:08   #9
Tiro Fijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunk22 View Post
Almost as bad as an internet commando give other internet commando's advice. How's that video coming again? Usually those who call others as such are the biggest internet commando's of the bunch.

Hit a nerve did I, range Gomer?
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:21   #10
dpadams6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpig View Post
What he said.

HST has been moved around a lot since its inception. Originally it was going to replace the Classic line of jhp. It performed so well in tests that the sales were restricted to LE. However it ended up performing bad and was recalled.

It was reintroduced under the Premium line and stayed in that box until 2007 when it was consolidated with the Tactical line.

Just to head questions off. If you have HST that is in a Classic Box use it as target ammo. If it is in the Premium or Tactical box it is good.
I never heard this before. I have some boxes of both. What was changed from the classic to the newer tactical boxes. I heard somewhere that newer ones had lower flash. But nothing regarding performance.
dpadams6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:34   #11
hotpig
CLM Number 211
IAFF Local 4766

The Classic should have a white label marked not for LE or Duty use. Unless you got it real early like 2001 or 2002. It tested well in jell but not any better than its brother load the PMC\Eldorado's Star Fire.

I heard one Federal rep say most of this recalled ammo did not make it to the market. I know I sold some of it before the recall. I did not move a lot because no one knew anything about it and the Ranger T-Series was the new hot item at the time.

HST mfg after June of 2004 is ok.They probably have done some tweaking to it since then but not enoughht to notify dealers of the spec change.

Last edited by hotpig; 10-27-2012 at 12:35..
hotpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:41   #12
cowboy1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo View Post
Bones and clothing and wallets and phones and and and are all barriers. But regardless, bonded bullets also tend to give deeper penetration, which is also an important factor.

And there ARE legitimate civilian SD shootings that involve true barriers. It happens, even if rare.
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 14:27   #13
uz2bUSMC
10mm defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
And there ARE legitimate civilian SD shootings that involve true barriers. It happens, even if rare.
For some reason it just seems that he needs to believe for himself that there can be no barrier problems for civilians.

- "Our country went through a transition during the last election where the parasites came together and outnumbered the hosts." -jdavionic
uz2bUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 14:32   #14
dkf

Quote:
The Classic should have a white label marked not for LE or Duty use. Unless you got it real early like 2001 or 2002. It tested well in jell but not any better than its brother load the PMC\Eldorado's Star Fire.

I heard one Federal rep say most of this recalled ammo did not make it to the market. I know I sold some of it before the recall. I did not move a lot because no one knew anything about it and the Ranger T-Series was the new hot item at the time.

HST mfg after June of 2004 is ok.They probably have done some tweaking to it since then but not enoughht to notify dealers of the spec change.
Thanks for the info Hotpig. I have some .357sig HST in the Gold "Premium" box and some Tactical.
dkf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 16:24   #15
Snowman92D

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunk22 View Post
It might pay you to take the time to do some friendly inquiring. He's definitely not in the "internet commando" category, Bunk.

My agency has used the Federal Cartridge "Tactical Bonded" ammo in 165-grain .40 for years now with excellent results. However, the R&D engineers at Federal are telling us that their "HST" line does so well in hard-barrier testing that they question the need for us to keep buying the slightly more expensive "Tactical Bonded" ammo.

In the machine rest testing I've seen, the "HST" is slightly more accurate than the "Tactical Bonded", but it's all great stuff. Burns clean, shoots straight, drops 'em like a bad habit.
Snowman92D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 16:36   #16
dpadams6

Quote:

Thanks hotpig
dpadams6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 13:40   #17
SCmasterblaster

I don't understand this "bonded" "non-bonded" stuff anyway.
Old 10-28-2012, 14:18   #18
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

I'm sitting here looking at a 230 grain .45 HST that I recently tested and it's definitely a non-bonded bullet. This is some really good stuff and it looks rather promising.

I'm anxious to see what the street data is going to be like once it starts to come in. All of my tests both scientific and not so scientific are proving this stuff to be really nasty and quite possibly the best .45 load on the market today!
Old 10-28-2012, 14:24   #19
Glockbuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOH212 View Post
I'm sitting here looking at a 230 grain .45 HST that I recently tested and it's definitely a non-bonded bullet. This is some really good stuff and it looks rather promising.

I'm anxious to see what the street data is going to be like once it starts to come in. All of my tests both scientific and not so scientific are proving this stuff to be really nasty and quite possibly the best .45 load on the market today!

They open up impressively, but I like the Ranger T better in the same caliber and weight.
Old 10-28-2012, 14:25   #20
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockbuster View Post
I like the Ranger T better in the same caliber and weight.
Can I ask you why? (I'm wondering if it's the same reason that I do too?)