GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-02-2012, 15:41   #41
chargingzebra

I have a 10 mo old, I now carry with the hammer dropped on an empty chamber. On a Glock that provides a fast visual indication that the gun has no round in the chamber, with the trigger all the way to the rear.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
chargingzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 15:47   #42
DustyJacket
Gold Membership
Directiv 10-289

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk88 View Post
.. getthat "everyone knows I have a gun on me and is looking at me" feelingover with. Then bring him in the picture and do as most have commented on,working with him to teach him not to touch it..
He WILL rat you out at the worst possible time (traffic stop, church, etc)
Old 10-03-2012, 08:28   #43
blk88

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyJacket View Post
He WILL rat you out at the worst possible time (traffic stop, church, etc)
That's funny because I can totally see that happening and probably will right in the middle of church or school..."my daddy's wears a gun!"
blk88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:58   #44
FAS1
GT Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneA View Post
Pretty much this.

I have 4 kids (12,9,3,2). Both my wife and I carry everyday (we both use CBST holsters). My kids know that we carry and don't think anything about it. The two oldest go shooting regularly. The two youngest have 0 curiosity as they have always been exposed to them. They have been taught not to touch just the same way as they won't touch a hot stove. I'm sure that will change a bit as the get older and that is when they will learn to shoot.
I carry c 1 anytime the gun is on my person. At night the c 1 gun goes in the safe and our bed side guns are in c 3.
Start teaching now and you will reduce potential problems later.
I agree with all this except my HD gun is also stored C1 at my bedside in a very well constructed handgun safe.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

"The Fast and Secure One"
Link to Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
FAS1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:06   #45
kc5cychris

2yr old

Quote:
So I just received my CCW permit and I'm eager to carry and take defensive pistol classes. Mine and my wife's concern is our 2 year old son. He's very curious and if he feels things in my pocket he's digging for it. The thing is that he's the reason I feel I want to carry. I never want to be in a position to where I can't protect my family. I've started to see the world in a different light due recent events and my love for my family. I realize that there are bad people in the world and the can surface any where at any time. I want to carry concealed, but worry about my son being curious and is too young to understand. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
I am sure that the first word most children understand is NO this is one of those times that I would insist No!! leave that alone. With mine it only took a few times and we have never had an issue since he is now 15 and an excellent shot handgun and rifle
kc5cychris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:25   #46
Roger1079

Quote:
Just to clarify I have a 23 and I want to carry IWB.
Sounds like the method of carry you want will make this a non issue. Just make sure you spend the money on a good holster.
Roger1079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:04   #47
SFla27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
Carry Cond III, no round in the chamber. The child is not strong enough to rack the slide, but you are.
^^ This ^^

I carry often when I am at home with the kids, but in C3.

Safer all around.

SFla27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 14:49   #48
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Not worried about my son drawing the piece. Just worried about the constant inquisitiveness and looking to see if other had similar experiences.
I don't think I understand - if he can't draw it from the holster, how is it going to hurt him?
Bren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 15:22   #49
blk88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
I don't think I understand - if he can't draw it from the holster, how is it going to hurt him?
My son is very inquisitive. If he felt my firearm under myclothing he would go fishing for it. Not so much worried about him drawing it. More concerned about the constant trying tomess with it. He already goes for keys, chapstick, knife, coins, etc. Whatever he can feel and not see, he goes for. It get's old some days. With a firearm, I could see it getting to the point that I wouldn't want to carry just to not deal with him. I hope to be buying aholster soon and testing the waters. My Gun Vault came yesterday so I need toget it mounted this weekend.
blk88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 20:00   #50
glockman513
CCW Instructor

control your childs behavior
Old 10-03-2012, 20:26   #51
dcc12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Rules View Post
Keep it concealed on your body (in a proper holster) or locked up (in a proper safe). Always.
Don't talk about it. Ever.
He won't know.

When he's older, old enough to understand Eddie Eagle, you can teach gun safety to him then.
What ever works for your situation. But my boys have always known that I carry. They know to never touch a gun unless I am there and say it's ok. When out they always walk to my left. They know it's a secrete.They have known this since they were 2 or 3, now much older 11 & 15 and can strip and clean every gun I have.
dcc12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 20:34   #52
jack76590

If you want to get as close to 100% as possible and still be able to use gun quickly, I would consider magna trigger conversion of a revolver. You have to be wearing special ring for revolver to go bang. Link.

http://www.tarnhelm.com/magna-trigge...ty/magna1.html

You might ask Mas Ayoob about this conversion in his subforum. I believe he mentioned he had one and intended to use it again now that he is grandfather.

Last edited by jack76590; 10-03-2012 at 20:35..
jack76590 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 21:38   #53
DaneA

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockman513 View Post
control your childs behavior
Come on... that is so absurd. Didn't you know you can get in trouble with CPS for that kind of stuff now.

(This is not aimed at the OP, just a general observation of current child raising practices I see everyday)
DaneA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:50   #54
SCmasterblaster

And when you chose to carry CIII, make sure that you carry it with the Glock decocked. It will be a tactile reminder that the gun isn't cocked when you touch the trigger.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:16   #55
Snowsport

don't let him fish around in your pockets. If you're worried about weapon retention with a two year old, you have a REAL weapon retention problem.
Snowsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 19:04   #56
BMWMD

I have been carrying since my kids were born. They know my gun is not something to play with. They are so used to seeing me armed that they never ask questions or even try touch it on me. When I'm not arm it isn't where they can see or get to it. We also have never allowed our son to have or play with toy guns to reiterate that guns are not toys.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-05-2012, 19:12   #57
FireForged
Millenium #3936

If you can protect your child from falling down stairs or running with scissors, think you can manage to keep him from grabbing at your sidearm. The first 2 dangers are probably harder to protect against.
Old 10-06-2012, 16:00   #58
Paul53
Geezer Boomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyJacket View Post
#1 - stop that kid's behavior now. And if he dive intp purses, nip that in the bud.

#2 - if the gun is not on you, in a holster, put it in a lock box and lock it.

#3 - I am not a big advocate of chambering/clearing a weapon often, so you might consider locking up your outdoor gun when you come home, and carrying an indoor gun with the chamber empty. You don't really want your kid, or anyone else, firing your gun.
Seconded. Kids can be a handful and wear you down. You MUST remember that YOU are the parent. Have had to give that lecture many, many times when parents tell me "but he doesn't want to take the medicine."

I didn't like carrying chambered, but then I installed a "Siderlock trigger." The purists will jump all over me for mentioning it, but everybody has their own comfort level. If you carry outside your comfort level and have an accident, you'll feel really dumb. GT is full of excellent advice, but only you know what works for you.

Good luck.
Old 10-06-2012, 23:02   #59
Schlitz

Quote:
He's very curious and if he feels things in my pocket he's digging for it.
You can't stop a 2 year old from digging in your pocket?
Old 10-06-2012, 23:46   #60
PhotoFeller

Pause for just a moment and ask yourself if it is really important for you to carry a weapon around your young family. Are you in a moderate or high crime area? Have crack-crazed perps been spotted in your area? My God, too many 'advisors' here seem to put slinging a gun ahead of family safety.

If you must carry at home, consider the safest method- C3. Also, disregard the free-but-useless child rearing advice and treat your son the way your instincts lead you. You sound like a great dad who will figure out what's best for your family.
PhotoFeller is offline   Reply With Quote